IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 02:09 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
Awesome! Thanks for all your tips. I'm going to try them tomorrow because the creaking noise is annoying the heck out of me haha.
Any update? Eager to hear results. Not sure what the next step would be if this didn't fix it.
Old 09-05-17, 02:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

It's probably not crucial. Just go with whatever the pads come with. Though for best results, Genuine Lexus pads are recommended.

With other brands, you can't be sure your particular pad/shim/caliper combo will not present any new problems. With Lexus stuff, you can be sure the hardware has been optimized for best results. Plus the "big" 350 brakes are nearing what? 10+ years old. So the design is mature.

I'd stick with Lexus here. Either low friction or high friction. They're cheap on eBay. No need to go with anything else.
Old 09-05-17, 04:10 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Any update? Eager to hear results. Not sure what the next step would be if this didn't fix it.
No updates yet sorry. I'm thinking it might be the rotors and they are worn down than the minimum. The shop I used didn't give me a reading nor I asked for one. I read somewhere in here that 27mm would be the minimum spec but I'll have to buy a caliper to measure them.
Old 09-05-17, 04:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

No updates yet sorry. I'm thinking it might be the rotors and they are worn down than the minimum. The shop I used didn't give me a reading nor I asked for one. I read somewhere in here that 27mm would be the minimum spec but I'll have to buy a caliper to measure them.
If the rotors were undersized it still wouldnt cause that noise. Moreso the finish on the rotor would cause it.
From the photos the rotors look good...but it's hard to say for sure unless I could feel the finish. Sometimes the brake lathe can chatter and cause a rough finish. Usually that sounds like an airplane landing when you are braking though.
Personally I still think applying the lube will correct it.
Old 09-05-17, 04:24 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

If the rotors were undersized it still wouldnt cause that noise. Moreso the finish on the rotor would cause it.
From the photos the rotors look good...but it's hard to say for sure unless I could feel the finish. Sometimes the brake lathe can chatter and cause a rough finish. Usually that sounds like an airplane landing when you are braking though.
Personally I still think applying the lube will correct it.
Cool, I'm definitely going to try the lube pretty soon.
Old 09-06-17, 05:05 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the creaking sound I have after market rotors and installed the semi metallic pads that came with them they came with 1 shim but I installed 2 because of the factory pads between the dust and creek I couldn't take it so I removed the pads and installed akebono pads with one shim and a spot of lube under shim between the two holes and it's night and day my usual commute the rims were black this morning clean! And they stop on a dime very smooth I'm so happy I did this..Now today if it stops raining I'm going to install USRS...
Old 09-06-17, 09:53 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttsport15
I had the creaking sound I have after market rotors and installed the semi metallic pads that came with them they came with 1 shim but I installed 2 because of the factory pads between the dust and creek I couldn't take it so I removed the pads and installed akebono pads with one shim and a spot of lube under shim between the two holes and it's night and day my usual commute the rims were black this morning clean! And they stop on a dime very smooth I'm so happy I did this..Now today if it stops raining I'm going to install USRS...
Dang it! haha. I should had gotten the Akebono pads. Thanks for your info.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (09-06-17)
Old 09-08-17, 02:31 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

I have an update. I ended getting Akebono pads and using the copper lube that you suggested and put it where you suggested and the noise is gone!
I used this product:
Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY -  and 30 minutes or less!-se4o7ix.jpg

Couldn't find any of the permatex brand.

Went wtth Akebonos because I had forgotten how much the OEM pads dust.

Thanks for you tips!
Lex_Giorgio (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 03:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus offers a low-friction/dust pad version, as referenced in post#1. Just a heads up.
LatinLS430 (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 03:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I have an update. I ended getting Akebono pads and using the copper lube that you suggested and put it where you suggested and the noise is gone!
I used this product:

Couldn't find any of the permatex brand.

Went wtth Akebonos because I had forgotten how much the OEM pads dust.

Thanks for you tips!
It's fixed!!! Glad it worked out.
Old 09-08-17, 03:52 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

It's fixed!!! Glad it worked out.
Yeah! Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 06-26-18, 12:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

So about 5,000 miles in or so, my front drilled and slotted powerstop rotors howl and make a bunch of ruckus at moderate to heavy braking. Smooth/no shakes. Just a lot of noise. Not very confidence inspiring. A $140 lesson learned. I bought them in a pinch though cause the Lexus rotors were worn to minimum spec and I had to get these drilled ones in a pinch cause I was going on a trip that weekend.

Anyway I went ahead and ordered some Meyle blanks for $109 shipped for the front pair. Lexus ones are between $240 and $300 shipped. I've used Meyle blanks on an M3 in the past and they performed pretty great. So I'm going to throw them on with some brand new Lexus F Sport Textar high friction pads. I'll let you guys know if this is a decent cost-alternative to the excellent Genuine rotors.
Old 06-26-18, 03:51 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by E46CT
So about 5,000 miles in or so, my front drilled and slotted powerstop rotors howl and make a bunch of ruckus at moderate to heavy braking. Smooth/no shakes. Just a lot of noise. Not very confidence inspiring. A $140 lesson learned. I bought them in a pinch though cause the Lexus rotors were worn to minimum spec and I had to get these drilled ones in a pinch cause I was going on a trip that weekend. Anyway I went ahead and ordered some Meyle blanks for $109 shipped for the front pair. Lexus ones are between $240 and $300 shipped. I've used Meyle blanks on an M3 in the past and they performed pretty great. So I'm going to throw them on with some brand new Lexus F Sport Textar high friction pads. I'll let you guys know if this is a decent cost-alternative to the excellent Genuine rotors.
OK that's good but I've always heard that specifically for rotors & pads: 1) it's advised & best to NOT MIX rotors & pads from two different manufacturers, and 2) if you have a Lexus, for rotors & pads, it's always best to get Lexus genuine Parts (or Toyota).

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-26-18 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 04:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^no, that's stupid. Lexus isn't even a manufactur of pads. An outside supplier (actually a german BMW affiliated company) supplies Lexus's pads. Meyle is also a german company.
Old 06-26-18, 04:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

As for why MY particular rotors made noise, probably due to the holes and slots don't like the particular pad form. Moral of the story is go blank. Doesn't matter the brand, as long as its a reputable company. Brembo, Continental, Meyle

Quick Reply: Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!