IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Accident damage help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 02:13 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 600rr
What about when an adjuster comes out and gives an estimate for aftermarket parts, and the shop gives another estimate for OEM parts?
How hard is it to ask insurance to go OEM? What death defying gauntlet does one must go through?
All of that depends. Longevity with the company helps. Having an agent that has your back and will fight for you also helps. With an accident of this magnitude, I feel the OP has every right to fight for OEM. Especially since he's taking a huge hit on value and will have trouble reselling it. It's not like it was a door handle and he's demanding OEM for some small repair cost. The key is persistence. A lot of insurance companies obviously low ball their customers and most customers don't really know how it works so they just agree. However, the ones that put up a fight are the ones the adjusters are not big fans of. They want that claim closed and paid so they can get the next one done as well. Some of the time, you put up a fight, they will agree to OEM just so they can get the claim over and done with. I've seen some things paid out with claims that have boggled my mind and those things were paid out because our customer was persistent, a pain in the *** and we went to bat for them.

The body shop plays a role in this whole thing as well. If they are willing to take a hit on the cost and write off the difference between after market and OEM that helps as well. With the amount of damage the OP had with this accident, the body shop is going to obviously make a profit.

Last edited by kwb18; 07-14-17 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
600rr (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 02:26 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good example is something I just went through two days ago. I needed my windshield replaced. The glass company ordered the wrong windshield. They had to reorder a new one and reschedule my apt. All that was available was an OEM windshield. $700. The glass company already screwed it up so they installed the OEM windshield and waived my $100 deductible. Obviously me sending them a ton of business helped. Allstate approved the OEM windshield without a fight.
Old 07-17-17, 01:49 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mowerman
My g Geico policy will not pay for OEM parts unless there are no aftermarket equivalent. Had I been able to use OEM parts, the car would easily been totaled. and so far after just 2 days out of the shop, its going back. both front headlight assemblies have condensation in them (crap aftermarket parts) both front fenders have fitment issues that are very noticeable around the headlights as well, the thin chrome strip around the Spindle grill has blistering in it. The parts they use suck compared to Lexus parts and in my case, i have no choice, even if i have to go back 10 times
Really? Well then, it's not really insurance, if they don't even *try* to bring the car back to original condition. Wow.