IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Special Order Scam

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 03:47 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

after reading other responses, the dealer did not give me any details after the car disappeared from the systems, the salesman just said it appeared mark levinson was not an option on the IS300 F-Sport, only the luxury package, but clearly that was not the case because the lexus website has it as an option. i emailed the salesman today about the car and he did say that was in fact my special ordered car on the lot, and he kept apologizing. i consider this a scam because i have a feeling my salesman wanted me in a car in May when the car was supposed to arrive, not July because he wanted the profit then and there. another friend of ours who bought through cherry hill had a similar experience as mine
Old 07-08-17, 04:41 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
after reading other responses, the dealer did not give me any details after the car disappeared from the systems, the salesman just said it appeared mark levinson was not an option on the IS300 F-Sport, only the luxury package, but clearly that was not the case because the lexus website has it as an option. i emailed the salesman today about the car and he did say that was in fact my special ordered car on the lot, and he kept apologizing. i consider this a scam because i have a feeling my salesman wanted me in a car in May when the car was supposed to arrive, not July because he wanted the profit then and there. another friend of ours who bought through cherry hill had a similar experience as mine
Unfortunate, sorry to hear. Salesman wanted to hit his quota but that was def wrong of him to do. On the flip side at least it still has all your options and you can enjoy them except the ML.
Old 07-09-17, 06:58 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suggest that you may hire an attorney

How long ago did this all happen? If it has been less than 30 days call the salesman back and suggest that you are considering hiring an attorney or taking other legal action, and ask him if they would like to swap cars with you. Can;t hurt to try.
Old 07-09-17, 07:33 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
How long ago did this all happen? If it has been less than 30 days call the salesman back and suggest that you are considering hiring an attorney or taking other legal action, and ask him if they would like to swap cars with you. Can;t hurt to try.
the car just came in, but i've had my car for 2 months now so it's a little too late
Old 07-09-17, 09:16 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'd make an issue of it anyway

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the car just came in, but i've had my car for 2 months now so it's a little too late
IANAL and this is not legal advice.

If you really want the original car that you ordered you might give it a try anyway - start out by being nice and ask the salesperson if he will talk to the General Manager and see if there is anything they can do for you (like swap cars and let you pay for the mileage that you've put on the car you currently have). If that goes nowhere you could mention that you plan to contact Lexus Corporate about the way you were treated. If that doesn't work and you REALLY want the car you can escalate it to "I may want to explore my legal options".
Old 07-09-17, 12:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
IANAL and this is not legal advice.

If you really want the original car that you ordered you might give it a try anyway - start out by being nice and ask the salesperson if he will talk to the General Manager and see if there is anything they can do for you (like swap cars and let you pay for the mileage that you've put on the car you currently have). If that goes nowhere you could mention that you plan to contact Lexus Corporate about the way you were treated. If that doesn't work and you REALLY want the car you can escalate it to "I may want to explore my legal options".
WTF!?! That's just stupid advice. Baseless threats will get him nowhere, except ill-will. Chock it up to "Live and learn."

Last edited by TimboIS; 07-09-17 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 05:23 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,543 Likes on 1,733 Posts

jmull3r....That is SOOOOO unfortunate - I would be as furious as you would be right now, it takes all the enjoyment from your new car. In a way, you accepted a compromise given the fact you were told your special order had been deleted from the system only to then see it appear on the lot! I would be livid and certainly, this would be my last car from them....I would call Lexus corporate and inform them of the bait and switch
Old 07-09-17, 05:56 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by wthrman2
jmull3r....That is SOOOOO unfortunate - I would be as furious as you would be right now, it takes all the enjoyment from your new car. In a way, you accepted a compromise given the fact you were told your special order had been deleted from the system only to then see it appear on the lot! I would be livid and certainly, this would be my last car from them....I would call Lexus corporate and inform them of the bait and switch
this is my first and last lexus from them, and most likely my last lexus for a while unless the up their performance in 3-4 years in the IS and RC, the 2 models i would stick to, i definitely want to look into audi, merc, bmw, and alfa though