IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Vibration after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 07:04 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vibration after lowering

hey guys, so I lowered my 14 IS250 AWD on RSR springs yesterday and I also added Akata wheel spacers for that flush look. Went with 20mm rear 25mm front.

So so everything seems fine until I get onto the highway. I'd say around 65+ there's vibration, it seems minor. The steering wheel is perfect, nothing coming from the steering wheel. However I feel like it's coming from the rear. My seat starts to vibrate very faintly. BUT it's only when I'm accelerating on the highway I get that vibration, like I said it's not major but it's there and it tickles my seat lol. If I let off the gas on the highway it's perfect.. then accelerate softly I'll feel it again.

I did get the super downs as well. So I'm not sure if it's the spacers (never experienced them on any car before) or maybe my axels are just bent a little because I'm too low? But I'd personally put my finger on the spacers.

What u guys think?

Last edited by arruda89; 07-03-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 07:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If you're feeling the vibration in the seat then it's definitely coming from the rear.
The springs will not be causing this...I would be looking at the spacers as well.

Are the center of the spacers machined to 60.1mm? So they fit the hub of the vehicle exactly.
If not, you may need to loosen them and try to very carefully, and evenly, tighten them down again trying to get them as dead center as possible.
Old 07-03-17, 07:30 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If you're feeling the vibration in the seat then it's definitely coming from the rear.
The springs will not be causing this...I would be looking at the spacers as well.

Are the center of the spacers machined to 60.1mm? So they fit the hub of the vehicle exactly.
If not, you may need to loosen them and try to very carefully, and evenly, tighten them down again trying to get them as dead center as possible.

on the akata website it says center bore 60.10
Old 07-03-17, 07:38 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

its the Spacer ! get lower offset wheels like Vossen, because SPACERS are not safety trust me or not thats up to you, if you drive in the city smooth road low speed, spacer will be fine but if you drive a lot on highway or on pothole/speed bump etc. it will not be good. Did you buy the spacer with centric hub bore or have the centric hub ring that compatible with Toyota/Lexus ? 5x114.3 Bore size is 60.1 ? if you have the right SETUP it will not vibrate but lowering a car with spacers on has a lot of factors, its like some people has vibrates on AWD 2nd IS and some don't.
Old 07-03-17, 07:40 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

I do have the ring on the spacers for our wheels

but how about I get a better brand like H&R.

Also im moving to Florida next week, think I'm going to remove the spacers anyway just for safety reasons. I currently live in Massachusetts. And car will be driven down.
Old 07-03-17, 07:41 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your alignment done properly?
Old 07-03-17, 07:44 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arruda89
on the akata website it says center bore 60.10
Looking at the website it does indicate the bore is 60.1 and it looks like it has the corresponding hub to fit the factory wheels.
Honestly I would just take them off, inspect and make sure everything is clean and sitting properly, and then make sure there's no excessive clearance when you put it back together.
Old 07-03-17, 07:50 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I do have the ring on the spacers for our wheels

but how about I get a better brand like H&R.

Also im moving to Florida next week, think I'm going to remove the spacers anyway just for safety reasons. I currently live in Massachusetts. And car will be driven down.
i have no faith in Spacers no i can't suggest anything, in my opinion just get a set of Expensive Rims like VOssen with super low offset like +25 to +35, the wheels will flush out and looks better than spacers. You don't wanna put 3700 lbs on those spacers bro, they not just gonna short your Bearing life out but if you don't re-torque in every couple miles the wheels might comes off your car while driving. You don't wanna mess with Safety so do i ! it doesn't matter what brands.
Old 07-03-17, 07:56 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by forum429
Is your alignment done properly?

i havent done an alignment yet. I have an appointment Wednesday
Old 07-03-17, 09:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, get rid of the spacers
Old 07-03-17, 11:08 PM
forum429
Driver

i havent done an alignment yet. I have an appointment Wednesday
This is why you are having vibration after lowering.
It has nothing to do with your spacer unless you still have vibration after your alignment done.
Every time you touch your suspension component you should do alignment right away.

Last edited by forum429; 07-03-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 11:11 PM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
i have no faith in Spacers no i can't suggest anything, in my opinion just get a set of Expensive Rims like VOssen with super low offset like +25 to +35, the wheels will flush out and looks better than spacers. You don't wanna put 3700 lbs on those spacers bro, they not just gonna short your Bearing life out but if you don't re-torque in every couple miles the wheels might comes off your car while driving. You don't wanna mess with Safety so do i ! it doesn't matter what brands.
And you know expensive wheels do not equal to good quality right?
Vossen cast series are overly expensive IMO for wheels that are made in Taiwan with low pressure cast (one of the most basic wheel making method).
Old 07-04-17, 12:02 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ i agree, Vossens are way overpriced for what they are. stick with Volks and/or Work wheels for that price
Old 07-04-17, 10:30 AM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Ok so I took out the spacers and no difference. Vibration still there
Old 07-04-17, 10:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I took out the spacers and no difference. Vibration still there
Ok...so that's odd.
And you still feel it in the seat of the vehicle, not the steering wheel? Not even the slightest in the steering wheel.

The way you described the vibration initially sounded like a differential issue...meaning...when you are on the gas, the rear driveshaft is driving the pinion gear in the diff., that drives the ring gear, which indirectly drives the wheels (without getting into a too technical explanation).
When you back off the gas the reverse happens...the wheels drive the ring gear (indirectly once again), which drives the pinion gear, which...and so on and so on.
If you didn't mention the lowering or the spacers I would have guessed a driveline issue...like a worn half shaft or diff. or something in that area.

Quick Reply: Vibration after lowering