IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Curb rash repair in Northern NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 09:39 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Curb rash repair in Northern NJ

hi all. Wasn't pAying attention and got some curb rash on front wheel. Can anyone recommend a great wheel repair service around Morristown Parsippany area? Thanks.

i took a nice chunk out of the outside rim protector on the tire. These are the Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 at $250 a piece. car has only 500 miles. Any suggestions?

Last edited by FUZCO; 07-02-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-02-17, 11:27 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear that! I would Yelp a few places around your area if you don't get any responses from members in NJ who can recommend a place for you. Looks like you took out some pretty large chunks there, expect to pay anywhere around $100-200 for the repair. I don't think you'll be able to get a perfect paint match, but it should be close enough. You probably wouldn't notice unless you looked closely at the paint.
Old 07-02-17, 11:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Ouch - Now I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer but I would get a new tire/rim. There is some serious damage there and for me, I doubt any repairs would be acceptable to me but I am a little on the OCD side. I'd be worried going at high speed with a tire like that.....Luckily for you, there is little mileage on the other tires so you can get away with only replacing one and not all of them (which is required if you have the AWD version since AWD vehicles can't have too much thread depth difference).
Old 07-02-17, 01:33 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

How much is a new wheel? And where can I get one? Should I just bring it to the dealer and have them put a new wheel and tire?

Last edited by FUZCO; 07-02-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 01:56 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Well, you have a few options.....

1. Get a brand new one from the dealer but that could be more expensive.
2. You could try and see if some people have some for sale, some owners sale their OEM wheels for aftermarket wheels and have some for sale.
3. Do you have a road hazard warranty? When I bought mine, as part of the new car fees, there is a road hazard warranty that allows for a tire replacement for free if its damaged....Now I am not sure if yours is a safety issue but if it wouldn't pass the safety inspection, then they may qualify you for a new tire.

In the end, the amount of money you will pay for a repair will not be THAT MUCH cheaper and the quality of the repair will never come close to a brand new wheel. That is just me though, it all depends on how picky you are but yours is almost new too, so that would annoy me.
Old 07-02-17, 01:59 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUZCO
hi all. Wasn't pAying attention and got some curb rash on front wheel. Can anyone recommend a great wheel repair service around Morristown Parsippany area? Thanks.
USA WHEELS in Fairfield NJ. It's in the pio casta center.
Old 07-02-17, 02:51 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isosunrise
USA WHEELS in Fairfield NJ. It's in the pio casta center.
USA wheels is also quite shady and has a few negative reviews as well as a rip off report complaint. I wouldn't use them.
Old 07-02-17, 02:52 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Well, you have a few options.....

1. Get a brand new one from the dealer but that could be more expensive.
2. You could try and see if some people have some for sale, some owners sale their OEM wheels for aftermarket wheels and have some for sale.
3. Do you have a road hazard warranty? When I bought mine, as part of the new car fees, there is a road hazard warranty that allows for a tire replacement for free if its damaged....Now I am not sure if yours is a safety issue but if it wouldn't pass the safety inspection, then they may qualify you for a new tire.

In the end, the amount of money you will pay for a repair will not be THAT MUCH cheaper and the quality of the repair will never come close to a brand new wheel. That is just me though, it all depends on how picky you are but yours is almost new too, so that would annoy me.
I am OCD too and I agree with just getting a new wheel. Am I just say **** it and just have the dealer take care of it. I don't have road hazard warranty. But at least the dealership can take care of it all in one spot than me having to order the tire and then go somewhere else to have a repair done.

must've been a glitch in the matrix today. I can't remember the last time I did something so stupid.
Old 07-02-17, 06:59 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ We don't cal them accident for nothing - Don't dwell on it too much, just get it fix, enjoy the new wheels and smile
Old 07-03-17, 12:32 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Try:
-MyLParts.com
-Ebay if you have some time to look around, I'm sure you can find them for the right price.
- Call a local salvage yard and see if they have your vehicle, and if they can grab you the wheel.

If you're picky, like the others said, forget getting them repaired. Just get a new wheel.
Old 07-03-17, 09:45 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

I found a guy that does excellent rim repair work on Lexus and matches the hyper finish exactly. It's a two day process.

Question is, do I just bring the wheel and new tire or leave the car?
Old 07-03-17, 04:46 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I would ask him what he prefers - My gut feeling tells me he'll want you to drop the car off, besides, what would you put on to drive - The spare tire?

What about the tire itself? Having that checked?

I am happy to see you have found someone, but make sure you report back in about a year.....A friend of mine vowed he had found the best place to repair rims, within one year, the finish was pitting and peeling - Nothing beats an original finish and he ended up buying a new rim 1 year later.

Maybe your guy is different but I'll be curious to hear back in a year from now - Best of luck
Old 07-03-17, 06:16 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I would ask him what he prefers - My gut feeling tells me he'll want you to drop the car off, besides, what would you put on to drive - The spare tire?

What about the tire itself? Having that checked?

I am happy to see you have found someone, but make sure you report back in about a year.....A friend of mine vowed he had found the best place to repair rims, within one year, the finish was pitting and peeling - Nothing beats an original finish and he ended up buying a new rim 1 year later.

Maybe your guy is different but I'll be curious to hear back in a year from now - Best of luck
New tire in my trunk. I tend to disagree about oem wheel finish durability compared to refinish. Essentially, it is the same process. Both are painted. If done properly there is no difference. Even oem wheels can chip and flake. This guy requires a 48 cure time before the wheel can be be picked up. It's not a typical few hour drop of at the dealer rim repair.

The good thing is that if anything goes wrong wth the finish down the road he will repair it at no cost. But yes, the tire is being replaced. I picked it up at Lexus today. $290 with tax 😵

Last edited by FUZCO; 07-03-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 07:36 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I think the type of refinishing is really the difference here.
There is the best way and the fast way.
I haven't seen the F Sport rims refinished, but I have seen another manufacturer wheel refinished that has the same (or very similar) finish as the F Sport rim.
The entire rim was powder-coated black, and then baked in an oven.
When it's first powder-coated, it looks like a matte black finish. After baking in the oven it comes out glossy black...like fresh paint.
After that the silver was sprayed onto the face, and it is cleared.
I'm not sure if this is how the Lexus ones are made, but it's a very durable finish as opposed to just paint. The hard powder-coat base is key to the durability.
Old 07-03-17, 07:43 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Yours is nothing Mine is worst, go to Lexus Dealer and order a touchup paint the paint code is 1H9 Nebula Grey and Touch it up, the Fsport Rim painted with this color no one will sees it, your rims still good the tires got cut because you hit side way., don't waste money you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Curb rash repair in Northern NJ