IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 02:21 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It's not really a problem. Probably just something you notice only under very specific conditions. I put my car in drive and take off normally, it's perfect. But if you put it in drive at the same time as releasing the gas, I can see the jerk. It's likely normal, the transmission has to engage and move the car forward somehow. It's just usually masked by having the foot on the brake cause that's how you're supposed to take off like a normal person does. lol
Old 07-11-17, 04:10 PM
JKS200t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's not really a problem. Probably just something you notice only under very specific conditions. I put my car in drive and take off normally, it's perfect. But if you put it in drive at the same time as releasing the gas, I can see the jerk. It's likely normal, the transmission has to engage and move the car forward somehow. It's just usually masked by having the foot on the brake cause that's how you're supposed to take off like a normal person does. lol
I've had my share of AT, with Lexus and other luxury/non-luxury brands. I have yet to encounter one that has this feeling, so early on in the life of the car. The jerk is felt even while pressing the brake. The only other time i felt something similar was on a 300zx turbo, where it had auto dampeners, and shifting caused the suspension to adjust itself, so you could feel a heavy jerk. I guess well just have to take it in to the techs and see what they say. I feel like it might almost be a motor-mount issue. Only possible explanation I have, since it become more gradual after a couple months.
Old 07-13-17, 06:36 AM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ill mention it to the dealer when I go for the first service.
Old 07-13-17, 07:11 AM
lsw79
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I also own a 2017 is200t. I do experience quite a similar issue as you, but not as you mentioned the car jerk forward.
ok, what I experience is when I turn the ignition on, then shift the gear from parked mode to drive mode, I sense the car trying to move forward even though
i have the brake on.

Do you experience this issue after you switch the ignition on, then shift from parked to drive mode? Or you
experience this issue every time even when the engine is running?
Old 07-13-17, 12:17 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a hunch and think its due to the car not being fully at operational temp. If I wait a minute or more, then this jerky action doesnt really happen. If Im in a rush and have to engage D a few moments after staring, then I get the jerky motion.
Old 07-13-17, 03:36 PM
lsw79
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have checked this issue with the dealer. He mentioned that is normal and it usually
happen when we first start our car in the morning. He also mentioned let the engine run a few mins
to warm it up before engaging the gear to drive.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-17, 10:16 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Ive driven my IS for a year now and have never noticed this until you guys brought it up. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as some of you here. I work for Lexus and while I drove the 16' 17' IS350, they have the same slight jerk when shifting from drive to park. Is this a serious problem or just nit-picking?
Old 07-13-17, 10:23 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisV
I have a hunch and think its due to the car not being fully at operational temp. If I wait a minute or more, then this jerky action doesnt really happen. If Im in a rush and have to engage D a few moments after staring, then I get the jerky motion.
you answred your own question. You're shifting into gear before the RPM's have dropped to a normal level. That jerk is the torque converter catching up to the engine RPM. Wait for your cars idle to slow down before putting it in gear.
The following users liked this post:
IS200TFOWL (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 11:20 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
you answred your own question. You're shifting into gear before the RPM's have dropped to a normal level. That jerk is the torque converter catching up to the engine RPM. Wait for your cars idle to slow down before putting it in gear.
Nailed it..
Old 07-17-17, 01:51 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lsw79
Hi, I have checked this issue with the dealer. He mentioned that is normal and it usually
happen when we first start our car in the morning. He also mentioned let the engine run a few mins
to warm it up before engaging the gear to drive.
A few minutes? No. The 30 seconds, or so, that it takes for the RPM's to drop a bit? Yes.
Old 07-18-17, 09:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

letting car idle is actually bad for it (and the environment). funny how a lot of people (usually with reliable makes like Lexus/Toyota/Honda) think they're being extra caring to their car by letting it idle. 30seconds is starting to become abusive. I'd say no more than 5-10 seconds at most.

the longer you run that engine cold, the more wear/tear and pollutants (cat inefficiency). let the engine get some light load on it so it warms up fast and the cats and coolant get hot.

as far as the trans thing, just don't release the brake until the trans is fully engaged and its smooth as butter every time.
Old 08-14-17, 12:10 PM
JKS200t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
letting car idle is actually bad for it (and the environment). funny how a lot of people (usually with reliable makes like Lexus/Toyota/Honda) think they're being extra caring to their car by letting it idle. 30seconds is starting to become abusive. I'd say no more than 5-10 seconds at most.

the longer you run that engine cold, the more wear/tear and pollutants (cat inefficiency). let the engine get some light load on it so it warms up fast and the cats and coolant get hot.

as far as the trans thing, just don't release the brake until the trans is fully engaged and its smooth as butter every time.

where are you getting your information from? Or are you being sarcastic?
Old 08-14-17, 01:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by JKS200t
where are you getting your information from? Or are you being sarcastic?
Idk where this particular info is coming from, but I know I've seen multiple videos on Youtube calling it a "myth" that you need to wait for the car to warm up for a few minutes. It's a "myth" because it's a leftover practice from carbureted engines. In addition, I found an article in Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-harms-engine/

I usually wait about 10 seconds before I take off to allow the revs to drop, since I want the oil to have actually made its way mostly around the engine before I put any load on it. In the winter time, it takes just a few more seconds... Usually however long it takes me to clear the windshield of ice/snow.

However, the engine itself isn't the point of this discussion (and neither are cats, etc.). The jerk is possibly resulting from letting off the brake too quickly after shifting into R or D. If you have the brake fully depressed until you've changed gears, it should be smooth, just as E46CT stated. If you let the revs drop after a few seconds, this jerking effect will be lessened, but not eliminated
Old 03-30-19, 11:19 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
I always wait the 30 secs to 1 min for the RPMs on start up to drop to about 1100 (when cold) and still feel the pretty bad jerk when shifting from P -> R or D.

The jerk isn’t noticeable at all once the car is warm. I wonder if it could be an issue with low ATF? I also have a significant jerk when the torque converter locks up in manual mode shifting up/down into 3rd gear, which I am starting to think could be related