IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BEATSONIC USA DVD NAV Bypass - Front Camera - Phone Mirror Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 10:55 AM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default BEATSONIC USA DVD NAV Bypass - Front Camera - Phone Mirror Kit Installed

Just wanted to share with you guys a great product from BeatSonic USA. http://www.beatsonicusa.com/

I have installed the Front Camera Module which allows you to switch between the front camera that you install and your factory rear camera while in motion. All is needed is a touch of a button and you can see whats in front or rear at anytime. Front camera module is a life saver for me as I can now park freely into a parking without worrying about scraping my front lip or bumper.

I also have installed the DVD NAV Bypass along with Phone Mirroring Kit. This allows me to input nav destinations while in motion. All the items that are normally grayed out can be accessed while your in motion now. I can also watch movies/music videos while in motion. Anything on my phone can now be displayed as an identical mirror on the nav screen. Disclaimer: This is in use for the passenger to enjoy the ride.

I highly recommend these products - Eric at BeatSonicUSA is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about their products. Contact them today to get yours!

Below is a little video clip that I have showing the product.
Front Camera - while parking
Cameras while in motion on the highway
Movie Playing via Kodi mirrored from iphone.

Also below are some YouTube link videos showing how easy the installation is, and demonstrations of their products.

Last edited by DjRiDe; 06-20-17 at 08:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DjRiDe:
otakusan (06-21-17), Pacman9270 (12-11-17), UngBuck (06-22-17)
Old 06-20-17, 03:08 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Where did you mount your front camera the same spot as in video?
Old 06-20-17, 04:52 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Where did you mount your front camera the same spot as in video?
I mounted differently as I needed it more to see my front lip.

Old 06-20-17, 11:32 PM
OneToTree
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing! I'v been waiting to see someone with the front camera installed and working . The location you picked for the camera placement seems to work really well to keep an eye out on that front lip. And the camera blends into the grill pretty well too. Did you do the entire front camera install yourself and was it difficult?
Old 06-21-17, 05:50 AM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OneToTree
Thanks for sharing! I'v been waiting to see someone with the front camera installed and working . The location you picked for the camera placement seems to work really well to keep an eye out on that front lip. And the camera blends into the grill pretty well too. Did you do the entire front camera install yourself and was it difficult?
thanks bro! Installed by myself. Running the wires was fairly easy as I had already ran wires for my fog light switch. So I basically ran the wires along with the fog wire and went in on the driver side grommet. Then just had to pull the surrounding leather cover away from the gauges and then take the nav screen off. Plug in the module behind the nav and tap a power wire from the nav screen for the camera power.

Sounds complicated but all in all not that bad. If you look at the beat sonic installation they removed the gauges - I didn't want to mess with that and I was able to still run the wires.

I reccomend this if your trying to avoid hitting your bumper or lip on anything. Also please note the camera view on the video on the highway was with the camera pointing straight. I ended up angling it more down where you see the bumper as your getting closer to objects.

Hope this helps yah!
Old 06-21-17, 08:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DjRiDe
I mounted differently as I needed it more to see my front lip.

I installed mine a bit higher up just below the license plate. I see you also have Beatsonic camera but how did you manage to tie down the camera? There's nothing you can mount it to behind the grill. I had to use washer plate to hold it from outside, yours look different than I did not sure how you mounted the camera.
Old 06-21-17, 08:56 AM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

I installed mine a bit higher up just below the license plate. I see you also have Beatsonic camera but how did you manage to tie down the camera? There's nothing you can mount it to behind the grill. I had to use washer plate to hold it from outside, yours look different than I did not sure how you mounted the camera.
I didn't purchase the beatsonic camera - I ended up getting a different one. I actually used 3M double sided tape and its holding pretty strong. Tested it on the highway and it stayed perfectly. Still open to better mounting options if anyone has a more discreet mounting location or camera. I have to take another picture cause the camera is pointing more downward vs being straight. My soul purpose was to see parking stoppers vs whats actually in front of the car like how it showed on the highway portion of the video that I posted.
Old 06-21-17, 09:14 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DjRiDe
I didn't purchase the beatsonic camera - I ended up getting a different one. I actually used 3M double sided tape and its holding pretty strong. Tested it on the highway and it stayed perfectly. Still open to better mounting options if anyone has a more discreet mounting location or camera. I have to take another picture cause the camera is pointing more downward vs being straight. My soul purpose was to see parking stoppers vs whats actually in front of the car like how it showed on the highway portion of the video that I posted.
Here's how I mounted mine but it's still definitely not discreet. I used a metal washer between grill and camera before screwing on. Bad thing about this camera is they only made white color and I had to use heat shrink to make it black.

https://goo.gl/photos/6UJaLg6aNTiu2oCc7
Old 06-21-17, 09:18 AM
OneToTree
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info and tips. All of the above info really helps. The interior wiring and work seem very manageable, but the actual camera mounting and running the camera wire from the engine bay into the car is the most unknown area of work for me. Do you have any tips or advice that you can offer from your experience with running the wire from the grill into the car; like having to pull plastic panels out from the engine bay, removing the bumper/grill, fastening the wire along the way, etc. It sounds like you were able to easily manage and figure this process out pretty well so any insight you have to offer is greatly appreciated.

Also, since you mentioned using another camera, which one did you end up getting? The quality seems pretty good. I'm wondering if the one that beatsonic sells would offer a wider field of view, both vertically and horizontally, for the price point that it is going for. Maybe it would allow one to see both the lip clearance and a decent amount forward and to the sides.
Old 06-21-17, 09:19 AM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Here's how I mounted mine but it's still definitely not discreet. I used a metal washer between grill and camera before screwing on. Bad thing about this camera is they only made white color and I had to use heat shrink to make it black.

https://goo.gl/photos/6UJaLg6aNTiu2oCc7
that's the main reason why I didn't purchase their camera because it was white. Didn't even think to use shrink wrap to change the color - that looks great! Also, your camera is definitely secured with that washer.
Old 06-21-17, 09:22 AM
OneToTree
Driver School Candidate

dojoman, I like what you did with the heat shrink. I was considering similar ideas too, like vinyl wrapping or plastidipping the white portion. The heat shrink came out pretty well. It looks like it would be pretty difficult to get that sliver of white completely blacked out. What are your experiences with the beatsonic camera angle? Is the field of view wide enough to see both the lip and ahead of you, as well as a decent amount to the sides?
Old 06-21-17, 09:25 AM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Thanks for the info and tips. All of the above info really helps. The interior wiring and work seem very manageable, but the actual camera mounting and running the camera wire from the engine bay into the car is the most unknown area of work for me. Do you have any tips or advice that you can offer from your experience with running the wire from the grill into the car; like having to pull plastic panels out from the engine bay, removing the bumper/grill, fastening the wire along the way, etc. It sounds like you were able to easily manage and figure this process out pretty well so any insight you have to offer is greatly appreciated.

Also, since you mentioned using another camera, which one did you end up getting? The quality seems pretty good. I'm wondering if the one that beatsonic sells would offer a wider field of view, both vertically and horizontally, for the price point that it is going for. Maybe it would allow one to see both the lip clearance and a decent amount forward and to the sides.
Agreed I think the camera they offer is definitely a wider view and prob worth the price point. The person above might be able to give more insight or possibly a video upload of how it looks. I purchased a camera off amazon and it seems to serve the purpose I solely wanted for. Of course, if I did get some front view as well I would definitely switch it out if its discreet like the camera I have. As for install, the engine bay panel that's above the front grill would have to be removed - I believe its about 8 clips. After that, you have full access to behind the grill. Then its a matter of just fishing the wire around the engine bay to the driver side grommet that gives access to inside the car. Just puncture a hole in the grommet and fish the wire through and you will get it below the steering wheel in the pedal are in the left corner. From there you just fish it under the steering wheel and up to behind the nav screen. It's not that bad to do trust me.
Old 06-21-17, 09:59 AM
OneToTree
Driver School Candidate

Good tips DjRide, really appreciate the info. I was seriously considering this project a while back then completely threw it out the window after not finding enough details about the camera wiring in the engine bay on the forums. With your info I am definitely back on having this install on my short list of things to do. Thanks for the newly inspired confidence for this project.

Dojoman, if you ever have the time, a screenshot of your front camera view would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious to know what kind of view you are getting with your setup.
Old 06-21-17, 10:16 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

dojoman, I like what you did with the heat shrink. I was considering similar ideas too, like vinyl wrapping or plastidipping the white portion. The heat shrink came out pretty well. It looks like it would be pretty difficult to get that sliver of white completely blacked out. What are your experiences with the beatsonic camera angle? Is the field of view wide enough to see both the lip and ahead of you, as well as a decent amount to the sides?
The camera is pretty wide, it looks like fisheye lens. You can actually see how it looks in one of the videos from Beatsonic demo above. Camera isn't cheap but it looks to be high quality and made in Japan. I can see corner to corner of my front bumper and even more.
Old 06-21-17, 10:19 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Good tips DjRide, really appreciate the info. I was seriously considering this project a while back then completely threw it out the window after not finding enough details about the camera wiring in the engine bay on the forums. With your info I am definitely back on having this install on my short list of things to do. Thanks for the newly inspired confidence for this project.

Dojoman, if you ever have the time, a screenshot of your front camera view would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious to know what kind of view you are getting with your setup.
I'll post the picture later today.
Here it is. https://goo.gl/photos/zGHMpzSddpoT61Yp8

Last edited by dojoman; 06-21-17 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: BEATSONIC USA DVD NAV Bypass - Front Camera - Phone Mirror Kit Installed