IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brand new 300is wheel vibration

Old 06-15-17, 05:56 PM
Is3002017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new 300is wheel vibration

I Picked up my 2017 iS 300 a few weeks ago. I drove a bunch of different ones before purchasing the car at different dealers. I did notice what I thought was a slight vibration in some of them, but not all so led to me believe it was just wheel balancing. Drove both new and used. I've searched the forum intensely but cannot find anyone else reporting this type of problem.

Mine came with the 18 inch staggered wheels and Bridgestone turanzas. First thing in the morning i have a very noticeable shake coming from the rear as I pull out of my driveway and for a few miles even at low speeds. That same shake on the same road is not there at all on my way home up to 60mph (can't go much faster). But that's After an hour drive home.

I also notice shaking at highway speeds between 60-90mph depending on daytime temp and how hot the tires are. It's not consistent. I can't always replicate it on the same roads. Either way I put 900 miles on the car the first week and it never felt right on highway. It seems to get worse in turns and sometimes it smooths out in the turns. I brought it back to the dealer due to the slight vibration after around 1000 miles. I drive anywhere from 500-1000mi a week. They road force balanced all the tires. One tire was giving an issue giving a true balance so they overinflated them left it up in the air overnight and rebalanced in the morning. I picked up the car and it still shakes. Same as before.

They put me in a 16 is300 f sport as a loaner while they had my car overnight and I put a few hundred miles on it. It was a much smoother ride. I told them this and they had me drive another base model 17 is300. It felt kinda similar to mine maybe a bit smoother. The service dept put the wheels/tires from the f sport loaner I had on my car and it felt a lot more like the f sport ride= smooth. dealer has been working with me but still no solutions. I'm hoping someone else has ran into a similar issue and has a fix. Are these tires that bad? Is it the car? Should have I just got an f sport? I figured the luxury provided a smoother ride and I put on 35k a year so I didn't want a real rough ride.

Just looking for opinions from others who have this car. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Is3002017; 06-15-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 06:47 PM
silver14
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 CPO IS350 had a shake from when I bought it, until a few weeks ago. I thought it was a spin balance issue, and had Discount Tire take a look at it. My front wheel was bent, I'm thinking maybe it was bent from test drives (maybe). I'm sure it was bent when I bought it, but I went ahead and ordered a new wheel through Discount Tire for $375 + install.

It fixed the issue, car rides silky smooth on good roads. The only drawback is my new wheel is noticeably darker than the others, presumably since it's newer.

I'd recommend taking it to a good tire shop and have them check all wheels for bends
Old 06-16-17, 07:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by Is3002017
Are these tires that bad? Is it the car? Should have I just got an f sport? I figured the luxury provided a smoother ride and I put on 35k a year so I didn't want a real rough ride.
You said it had the staggered setup with Turanzas, which the IS 300 F Sport also comes with. It's a different wheel design but the same size and tires.
Old 06-16-17, 03:44 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Kinda sounds like the tires are the issue.
If they are having trouble road force balancing wheels on a new car, that is not a good sign. This would indicate the vehicle itself is fine.
Barring a defect in the rim, which I would highly doubt, I would be looking at the tires as the cause.

The Turanzas are certainly not the best tire, but you should still get a smooth ride out of them.
Did they give you any details about the wheel that was "giving issues"?
Old 06-16-17, 04:31 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,538 Likes on 1,730 Posts

I know I don't have the same car as you but I firmly believe that no car (new) should have a vibration in it. The car is well designed and mine is super smooth, at low, medium and high speed. The only vibration I feel is when the car has been parked for a day or so and just pull out on the highway, almost like the flatspot that just needs to get worked out but after a few minutes, all is smooth.

I have a 2017 IS 350 F sport (AWD) and with the Turenza as well - I say its the tires or a rim but stay on them.
Old 06-16-17, 05:10 PM
Is3002017
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. They actually have been really good. The service tech called me today and said he drive 3 different models and they felt very similar. he thinks it's due to them sitting on a dirt/gravel/mud parking lot for periods of time. He spoke with corporate and they recommended a procedure to attempt to correct it. They wanted him to lower pressure to 20psi and then drive like 50-100 miles to heat up the tires. Then over inflate(60psi), leave in air overnight in lift and set the pressure correct. he is performing the procedure on one of the loaner cars they have to see if it corrects it. If it does he will give me the option of trying those rims/tires on my car and keeping them or doing the procedure to mine.

To be all honest, i hit 1600mi today and it does seem to be getting a bit better. Still noticeable but better. The tech isn't in till Tuesday so we will see what happens then. I'm thinking he's making sure he can correct this if future customers come in with the same complaint but happy he has been working on me and spending time on it.

I am confident one way or another it's going to get resolved. Thanks gain for the feedback.
Old 06-16-17, 07:20 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,538 Likes on 1,730 Posts

^^ Thanks for the update and I am also confident that they'll find your problem - They seem to care and want to make things right which is half the battle.
Old 06-16-17, 08:58 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Is3002017
... The service dept put the wheels/tires from the f sport loaner I had on my car and it felt a lot more like the f sport ride= smooth...
So the defect is the original wheels?
could be due to flat spotting...

surprised they didn't just replace your wheels...
Old 06-17-17, 08:23 PM
gtmassive
Rookie

Is3002017 -- which dealer you're using, they seem very efficient, which is very hard to find. If you drive 35k mls a year, i suggest get some Continental DWS tires.. amazing ride quality and no road noise.
Old 06-18-17, 05:18 PM
Is3002017
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtmassive
Is3002017 -- which dealer you're using, they seem very efficient, which is very hard to find. If you drive 35k mls a year, i suggest get some Continental DWS tires.. amazing ride quality and no road noise.
Hoffman Lexus East Hartford CT

I've been looking at either the continentals or michelin. After hearing I should only expect about 15-20k out of these I will need some before the end of the year. I'm also looking to pick up a set of factory 17" rims if anyone has any for sale.