IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MAJOR ISSUE - IS350 Recall - Rear Arch Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 12:21 PM
kawaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
I guarantee you that quote on quote rust they saw wouldn't have caused any issues even if you keep the car for 10 years. That particular dealership owns that body shop, I am sure the only reason they decided to over react like this is they are making ton of money for there body shop by charging Lexus back for all the work. The bad thing is your the one that becomes victim as it's your car that being torn apart and being painted all over. I completely understand your frustration and hope you bring all these facts to Lexus corp for buy back. Ask to see the pictures of the damage and I bet if you look into it more you will see that this place probably had more cars done like this because there probably using it as a money maker.

Don't sweat it man worse case they don't buy it back you just trade it and get new one that is all you can do,
As for the other idiots saying your complainer, lets see them have there car torn down and painted without notice and see how they would react.
...Isnt that the point of the recall... to have your car inspected and if your car was indeed affected, thats what they would have to do. If you dont want work done, tell the dealership "no, ill come back some other time." They cant FORCE you to leave your car there. If they drove/shipped your car off already without notifying you first while you're waiting, then thats a huge problem worth complaining about.

Originally Posted by LexuScott
Although I was disappointed to hear that my car with 50k miles on it was rusting already due to an issue from the factory, I figured that I had no choice but to at least let them LOOK INTO what needed to be done.
OP here gave the dealership an indirect "OK" to have the car taken to a body shop. Did you have it in WRITING to have your car LOOKED AT ONLY? Verbal agreements have no value/meaning/promises.
Old 06-02-17, 12:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
I guarantee you that quote on quote rust they saw wouldn't have caused any issues even if you keep the car for 10 years. That particular dealership owns that body shop, I am sure the only reason they decided to over react like this is they are making ton of money for there body shop by charging Lexus back for all the work. The bad thing is your the one that becomes victim as it's your car that being torn apart and being painted all over. I completely understand your frustration and hope you bring all these facts to Lexus corp for buy back. Ask to see the pictures of the damage and I bet if you look into it more you will see that this place probably had more cars done like this because there probably using it as a money maker.

Don't sweat it man worse case they don't buy it back you just trade it and get new one that is all you can do,
As for the other idiots saying your complainer, lets see them have there car torn down and painted without notice and see how they would react.
OP's car has damage. The end result is the damage has to be repaired correctly regardless. What's the alternative? Not get it fixed?

If I were the customer? I'd be upset if they DIDN'T repair it automatically without me having to tell them. The whole point I brought the car in to begin with is to address any potential factory defect. And I'd take GREAT joy in seeing the car torn down. That means it's being done CORRECTLY and not simply sanded down and painted over.
Old 06-02-17, 06:12 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^^^^^^^ E46CT even bolded the spelling errors lol.
I'm going to sit on the sideline of this thread and just watch lol
Old 08-10-17, 04:36 PM
greatone99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry but i agree with the op, it may be fixed right , but no body shop can paint a car the way the factory can , I've heard way to many body guys state this, the car is worth less ,the first thing a dealer will say when he trades this in,will be, the car has been painted . I had a rear bumper painted 4 times before it could not be painted again ,due to runs ,specs in paint ,u name it. Dealers suck at painting ,and hate doing warranty work .
Old 08-10-17, 05:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by greatone99
Im sorry but i agree with the op, it may be fixed right , but no body shop can paint a car the way the factory can , I've heard way to many body guys state this, the car is worth less ,the first thing a dealer will say when he trades this in,will be, the car has been painted . I had a rear bumper painted 4 times before it could not be painted again ,due to runs ,specs in paint ,u name it. Dealers suck at painting ,and hate doing warranty work .
you revived a dead thread for that?
Old 08-11-17, 01:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

why would dealers hate doing warranty work. that's free money.

and sooner or later, there's a good chance that your car will have to be painted. it's not a big deal. it's just an object.

and a quality paint job is quality regardless of who or what does it.

it is true factory paint is good, but it's not necessarily the best. The factory uses the bare minimum of paint to get the job done. While good, it won't be as "thick" as a quality show car painted car. They're somewhere around 650-1000 microns thick while a factory paint job is around 100-130 microns thick. That means you can really only correct a factory paint job once before the clear coat is too thin. Now this won't matter for most, but it does address "factory paint is the best." -- not necessarily.
Old 08-12-17, 07:48 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys need to find better body shops or auto body guys. It's clear to me that everyone you've talked to our taken your car to suck at their job. Sorry to say but this be true.

I've taken various pieces of one of my cars to get painted, at a couple of different shops. The ****tiest paint job was the cheapest shop. Had runs, and didn't match perfect. My usual body shop I go to for painting stuff I've never had issues with runs, specs in paint, or anything like that. Because that's just shoddy work.

on to the actual work. Because this warranty work doesn't show up on car proof, here's a question for all you people who think the car is now worthless. Op bought the car used from a dealer. How do you know if it didn't have work done before? Salesman are not exactly fully honest at times, and even if they are, they may not know about it if the previous owner didn't say anything.

Based on what I've read here, Lexus seems to be doing everything they can to make this car right. To be honest, having worked at the dealer, they very easily could have just ground off the rust, and covered up with paint, then call it a day. You likely wouldn't even notice.

next thing. Dealers don't usually have their own paint shop. They usually use approved shops to do their work. For in house mechanical repairs I know warranty work pays a little less than if it was a customer pay job. So you're partially right there. But for contracted work like this, the body shop likely gets paid whatever they say it needs. Or they'll quote a little higher just to fill the gap.

I for one don't care if it's been torn apart. Admittedly I'd be shocked at first but also assured that it's going to be done correctly and this won't be a future issue.

ok, one last thing. The op bought the car used. As a buyer, no matter what the seller says, I believe you must do your part to ensure that it's corrosion free or that you know what you're getting yourself in to or at least understand that it may not be 100% perfect. If they bought new, fine. Different story. But they bought used. Who knows what the previous owner did to it or how they took care of it.
​​​​​​
end rant. Sorry if you disagree with me.
The following users liked this post:
MilkMonstr (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 05:57 PM
greatone99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i will agree he is lucky they r fixing it right . mine went in for the tsb after we saw rust and paint missing from the wheel well area ,and low and behold mine just happened to have no sealant ,they claim the rust and paint missing had nothing to do with no sealant, mind u it was maybe a quarter of an inch away from the no sealant spot, ,even through thats what happens or could happen with no sealant .they claimed rock chips ,so they sealed it up .Now i did ask for pictures before they put the sealant on , i only got pictures of the area ,after the sealant was put on. Since then i took it to a body shop to have the wheel well damage fixed ,and i ripped the sealant off to look for damage ,none found. resealed it .We willl see if the car rots from the inside out . Maybe its my bad ex with lexus from where I'm from ,but after they painted my 2012 is rear bumper ,and my gf found specs of what looked like dirt in the paint ,she has better eyes than me , there response was the best I've ever heard , that we r being to critical ,most people would never inspect the paint that close ,and that they can't paint it as good as the factory .
Old 08-13-17, 08:50 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you get your car back yet? If so, how'd it come out?

I know why you're upset to see your car like that, but they're fixing it the right way, like others have mentioned. The parts they removed is indeed child's play. So you have nothing to worry about on that end. Your mats being tossed in a bin is better than on the floor covered in dust... like most shops.

And finally, if you end up trading the car in, the dealer knows that it's a RECALL, not an accident. Plus you have a loaner car, which means less mileage on yours. Hopefully they provided you with the same car or better, most of the time it's better. So that's another reason not to complain.

For you to even think they'll buy your car back is obscure. Sorry to say. They owned up to their mistake and you're impacted in zero way.
- You have a loaner which is equal or better than what you have right now.
- No mileage is being accumulated on your current car.
- The car is getting fixed properly.
- It doesn't count as an accident so value isn't affected upon trade in. (It's a recall)
- You paid NOTHING to get this job done. Imagine you didn't take it to the dealer and your car started rusting, you'd probably have to pay out of pocket for the job to get done and let's not lie, you probably wouldn't pay for a job like what they're doing right now, since it's in the thousands of dollars. And your value would be affected.

Be thankful that they're taking care of you in every possible way

And the shop has 2 Mercedes that may be worth more than your car, so it looks like you're in good hands.

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 08-13-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 01:13 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

does anybody have any pictures of where the problem area is or what the sealant fix looks like after the dealer performs it?

i looked up my 2015 and the recall does not apply to my car but i am curious what this all looks like
Old 08-14-17, 01:10 PM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this recall done/checked the very next day I got my pre-owned IS350. Thankfully, they said that mine's well sealed and nothing needs to be done. They didn't even have to put sealant.

Looks like the OP hasn't logged on since 06/02. Too bad, I wanted to see how the repair went.
Old 09-18-17, 01:45 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 403 Posts

Campaign is now live in Canada as well. Just got the letter today as mine may be affected!
Old 09-18-17, 02:28 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
Campaign is now live in Canada as well. Just got the letter today as mine may be affected!
I had the opportunity to see the instructions and video of how it's done...it's really not as bad as you think.
If the vehicle is affected, and they have to do it, and if it's done properly, you'd never know unless you stick your head into the wheel well and look at the inside lip.
Having said that, I hope mine is ok...hahaha!
Old 09-18-17, 02:31 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I had the opportunity to see the instructions and video of how it's done...it's really not as bad as you think.
If the vehicle is affected, and they have to do it, and if it's done properly, you'd never know unless you stick your head into the wheel well and look at the inside lip.
Having said that, I hope mine is ok...hahaha!
Since you saw the how-to, is it something we could "pre-check" just to have an idea if our vehicle is affected or not? Is it something that can be easily spotted?
Old 09-18-17, 02:42 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if anyone want to know how its done on the technical side and the letter to all the owners.
Canadian Market/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-CP-2299-L15-en.pdf (1.74 MB, 613 views)
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-CP-2302-L15-en.pdf (608.1 KB, 184 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by fivesevenn:
Answer (09-18-17), computerwi (09-19-17), specONE (09-18-17), wforty94 (09-21-17)

Quick Reply: MAJOR ISSUE - IS350 Recall - Rear Arch Corrosion