IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MAJOR ISSUE - IS350 Recall - Rear Arch Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 04:36 PM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
Not sure what the issue is here. They are covering the repair right? In fact I think it's great that they identified the rusting that is happening already. I say do not worry so much and just let them take care of it.
My issue is NOT what needs to be done to the car. My issue is WHY this needs to be done to my car. Sure this is the correct fix for this issue. Sure if I got into a car accident and my car needed body work / paint I would have to live with it because it would be my fault and I would understand that. But I feel that I should not have to live with a car that has to be torn apart and put back together and painted just because Lexus screwed up from the factory.

Not saying this in a rude way to you but would you be happy if Lexus sent you a letter and eventually told you your car had to be cut apart and put back together because of something they screwed up? THAT is my issue. I would have never bought the car had work like this been done to it in the first place.
Old 05-31-17, 04:38 PM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 600rr
I think he's just in shock by the amount of work involved and seeing his car gutted like that.
It is hard to look at, but necessary.
My issue is NOT what needs to be done to the car. My issue is WHY this needs to be done to my car. Sure this is the correct fix for this issue. Sure if I got into a car accident and my car needed body work / paint I would have to live with it because it would be my fault and I would understand that. But I feel that I should not have to live with a car that has to be torn apart and put back together and painted just because Lexus screwed up from the factory.

Not saying this in a rude way to you but would you be happy if Lexus sent you a letter and eventually told you your car had to be cut apart and put back together because of something they screwed up? THAT is my issue. I would have never bought the car had work like this been done to it in the first place.
Old 05-31-17, 04:40 PM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
lexus is doing the right thing. you're in the wrong to accuse lexus of performing any unnecessary work. it seems as though lexus is being thorough so that you have your car back in great condition. chill out.
I'm not accusing Lexus of doing anything wrong, other than beginning work on my car that I never approved. Also, as I've stated to everyone else that has replied, my issue is NOT what needs to be done to the car. My issue is WHY this needs to be done to my car. Sure this is the correct fix for this issue. Sure if I got into a car accident and my car needed body work / paint I would have to live with it because it would be my fault and I would understand that. But I feel that I should not have to live with a car that has to be torn apart and put back together and painted just because Lexus screwed up from the factory.

Old 05-31-17, 05:30 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexuScott
I'm not accusing Lexus of doing anything wrong, other than beginning work on my car that I never approved. Also, as I've stated to everyone else that has replied, my issue is NOT what needs to be done to the car. My issue is WHY this needs to be done to my car. Sure this is the correct fix for this issue. Sure if I got into a car accident and my car needed body work / paint I would have to live with it because it would be my fault and I would understand that. But I feel that I should not have to live with a car that has to be torn apart and put back together and painted just because Lexus screwed up from the factory.

You could have quoted all three in one post...

I think you might have signed somewhere that allowed the work to be done to the vehicle, i know that when i drop my vehicle off they make me sign for the authorized actions. Maybe you signed something that said they would inspect the vehicle and if found to be unsatisfactory they would repair the issue. I get that you're upset with the fact that they are doing extensive repair, but that's part of owning a vehicle, the unexpected will always happen. They probably should have explained what had to be done, but you also have to do your due diligence in checking what was involved. Looks like you're ready to fight back with the Lexus buy back team, and i hope you get what you're looking for. In that case, I can see the best they would give you is the value of vehicle at current list price at that mileage... since you're concerned with resale.

Hope things work out, im currently not under that recall as i am Canadian, I personally would accept repairs if they gave me a loaner, but i also plan to keep the car for as long as possible.
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey OP, which dealership did u bring the car in for service regarding this issue? I live in jersey as well. Just curious.
Old 05-31-17, 09:33 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but what I'm getting from your posts, is that you feel like the Lexus dealership kinda deceived you when you bought this car. Like they should've known before selling you the car that it may have a rust issue. You bought the car certified pre-owned, with about 10k miles on it. You have put close to 40k miles on it in about 18months. That's a lot of miles. When you bought the car, did they provide a car-fax report or other automotive repair check service? If so, go back and look at that report. Was there anything that mentioned the recall? Usually if there is a recall at the time of the sell, it will show up on the report. Ask Lexus Corp when was the defective rust sealant 1st discovered, and when did they start the recall. If it's not there, then sounds like they weren't hiding anything. It shouldn't be too hard to find out when they started the recall.
You live in the Northeast, and from what I was told by my service adviser, that's where the majority of the repairs were being done because of the high moisture that cars are exposed to there. I live in the Southwest, not much moisture where I live. My car had no rust, and they resealed everything. My service adviser even told me about it before I got the letter. It sounds to me like the only thing wrong Lexus has done was start the work without talking to you 1st.
Old 05-31-17, 10:58 PM
jakuum
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but what I'm getting from your posts, is that you feel like the Lexus dealership kinda deceived you when you bought this car. Like they should've known before selling you the car that it may have a rust issue. You bought the car certified pre-owned, with about 10k miles on it. You have put close to 40k miles on it in about 18months. That's a lot of miles. When you bought the car, did they provide a car-fax report or other automotive repair check service? If so, go back and look at that report. Was there anything that mentioned the recall? Usually if there is a recall at the time of the sell, it will show up on the report. Ask Lexus Corp when was the defective rust sealant 1st discovered, and when did they start the recall. If it's not there, then sounds like they weren't hiding anything. It shouldn't be too hard to find out when they started the recall.
You live in the Northeast, and from what I was told by my service adviser, that's where the majority of the repairs were being done because of the high moisture that cars are exposed to there. I live in the Southwest, not much moisture where I live. My car had no rust, and they resealed everything. My service adviser even told me about it before I got the letter. It sounds to me like the only thing wrong Lexus has done was start the work without talking to you 1st.
The limited service campaign was issued in March of this year https://www.torquenews.com/1083/act-...arch-corrosion , well after he bought the car. Yea it sucks that all this work needs to be done to the car, but nothing is perfect. Lexus is at least being proactive about the issue and covering all costs and providing a loaner while they correct the issue. Better than Lexus not issuing any type of campaign and you not knowing there was an problem until you actually see signs of rust and then trying and get Lexus to cover the repair costs. I'd personally prefer to have Lexus own up to any defects made at that factory and fix them prior to them becoming a major issue, especially when it concerns rust.
Old 06-01-17, 12:16 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jakuum
The limited service campaign was issued in March of this year https://www.torquenews.com/1083/act-...arch-corrosion , well after he bought the car. Yea it sucks that all this work needs to be done to the car, but nothing is perfect. Lexus is at least being proactive about the issue and covering all costs and providing a loaner while they correct the issue. Better than Lexus not issuing any type of campaign and you not knowing there was an problem until you actually see signs of rust and then trying and get Lexus to cover the repair costs. I'd personally prefer to have Lexus own up to any defects made at that factory and fix them prior to them becoming a major issue, especially when it concerns rust.
I agree with you. I just wasn't sure when it was started. I couldn't remember if it was early this year, or late last year. Anyways, I think the OP is not gonna be happy with what ever Lexus tells him. I'm sure their Buy-Back team will only offer him the current value of the car, not his original purchase price. He's had the car for quite some time, and put considerable miles on the car in that time. It's not like he hasn't enjoyed the car. Yeah it sucks what happened, but sounds like Lexus is trying to do right by him. Unless he can uncover some secret memo or email by Lexus (like they do on TV) he's gonna be SOL.
Old 06-01-17, 05:29 AM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stevelifts
Hey OP, which dealership did u bring the car in for service regarding this issue? I live in jersey as well. Just curious.
Prestige Lexus
Old 06-01-17, 05:37 AM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evltwn
No, I am not saying I was deceived when I bought it. If I had to guess, I would say this recall probably fairly recently came out, but I will find out and see. What I am saying is that I should not have to own a car that has to be chopped apart and fixed to this extent because of a Lexus mess up. The reason I mentioned anything about when I first bought the car is because I firmly do not believe that ANY car will be fixed to FACTORY condition after it has been touched by a body shop, and that I would never buy a car that has had any kind of major auto body work done to it.
Old 06-01-17, 05:56 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

No, I am not saying I was deceived when I bought it. If I had to guess, I would say this recall probably fairly recently came out, but I will find out and see. What I am saying is that I should not have to own a car that has to be chopped apart and fixed to this extent because of a Lexus mess up. The reason I mentioned anything about when I first bought the car is because I firmly do not believe that ANY car will be fixed to FACTORY condition after it has been touched by a body shop, and that I would never buy a car that has had any kind of major auto body work done to it.
So legitimate question... in your opinion, what should Lexus Corp have done, given this rust issue? Aside from disassembling the car, the only other remedy would be masking the issue, which would not be fixing it.
Old 06-01-17, 06:11 AM
LexuScott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
So legitimate question... in your opinion, what should Lexus Corp have done, given this rust issue? Aside from disassembling the car, the only other remedy would be masking the issue, which would not be fixing it.
Considering the fact that I seem to be in a somewhat unique situation (most people don't have rust) in my opinion Lexus should base their decision off my willingness to keep the car after finding out that all of this work needs to be done to the car. They should at a minimum offer to buy the car back, and they should also offer me some kind of deal to be put in a newer IS that doesn't have this issue. I think it's great that Lexus is admitting there is an issue, however, I don't feel like I should have to be driving a car that has been taken apart and put back together and painted due to a Lexus screw-up that was not my fault.
Old 06-01-17, 06:25 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kawaii
I got a letter in the mail regarding the recall. Haven't gotten it checked out yet since I live in Cali so there's no rush. The inspection is valid until March 2018. You can check your VIN# at https://www.toyota.com/recall and see if the letter/message pops up for you.
Briliant, thank tyvm...
Old 06-01-17, 10:06 AM
kawaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering the fact that I seem to be in a somewhat unique situation (most people don't have rust) in my opinion Lexus should base their decision off my willingness to keep the car after finding out that all of this work needs to be done to the car. They should at a minimum offer to buy the car back, and they should also offer me some kind of deal to be put in a newer IS that doesn't have this issue. I think it's great that Lexus is admitting there is an issue, however, I don't feel like I should have to be driving a car that has been taken apart and put back together and painted due to a Lexus screw-up that was not my fault.
From all your responses, it sounds like you're privileged/spoiled just cause you drive a Lexus and because its a Lexus... you should be entitled to a brand new IS instead of given free repairs because the problem was caused by them, not you. Getting a new IS does NOT guarantee a recall will not happen in the future either. Lexus made a "mistake" if thats what you want to call it, owned up to it and is fixing it at no cost to any of us within the given time frame. Why can't you just accept it? I dont know why you mention resale value either. Are you not planning to keep the car for a long time? Isnt that why you chose to purchase the 6yr/125k mile warranty? A reliable car such as Lexus will hold its value and you can always explain/show the potential buyer why a part of your car was taken apart by the dealership.
The following 4 users liked this post by kawaii:
BluPhirePB (06-01-17), davyjordi (06-01-17), jakuum (06-01-17), lilfool (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 10:29 AM
mangoman75
Driver School Candidate

if you're that pissed about this situation, maybe you can see how the fix goes first, then if you feel that work done is not perfect, you should bring up the case with lexus since either way this will need to be done to stop any further damage. my car didn't rust so they just resealed it but honestly for me, if they're fixing it for free and does a great job, i wouldn't mind them taking it apart since it's dealer doing the work and if anything goes wrong, they got no one else to blame. and i doubt that this will impact resale value much since it's a recall that's carried out by the manufacturer (correct me if i'm wrong). i would think that if this is not done, it'll impact resale value more since this has potential to be a expensive repair like your car's situation.

Quick Reply: MAJOR ISSUE - IS350 Recall - Rear Arch Corrosion