Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 01:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by ancpratt
Hi,

No problem. Do the following two quick tests for me though... These are what the Lexus mechanic and I did together at the dealership when I was having the popping noise issue, as he was stumped at first to what the problem was:

Start your IS on level pavement then place it into Neutral (block your wheels too for safety )

Test #1

- With your foot OFF of the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

Test #2

- With your foot firmly pressing ON the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

If the sound occurs when you turn the wheel and only when you have your foot ON the brake, then most likely, it is the brake pads causing the issue. There's play in the calipers and the pads are moving around and causing the crunching/popping noise. I know, it sounds impossible but that was the issue with mine (my pads were OEM and almost worn to the tabs at that time).

I'm betting that when you turn the wheel with your foot OFF of the brake, you don't hear the popping. You don't have to be moving to hear it. When I had the issue, it was happening when I turned my wheel to turn into a parking space at a slower speed for example, I'd have my foot on the brake, and would hear the noise. With new pads on the fronts, the noise was gone. I guess the new pads stopped the space gaps and from the parts from moving around in the calipers.

Let me know what you find.
Seems like a plausible explanation...I'll give it a shot. I wonder if it's just the 250's that do it, or the 350's also...since they have different front brakes. Mines a 250.
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 06-01-17, 08:03 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
why don't you take the car and the video to your local dealership and have them deal with it?
Hi, that's exactly what I did. I took the car to Newport Lexus and they denied that the car had any issues and would not even bother to take the car into to the back to look at it. They said that that noise is normal which is ridiculous because this car has never made the noise beforehand and I've had the car since around 5000 miles and now it has 40,000 miles
momak (03-27-20)
Old 06-01-17, 08:05 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Hi,

No problem. Do the following two quick tests for me though... These are what the Lexus mechanic and I did together at the dealership when I was having the popping noise issue, as he was stumped at first to what the problem was:

Start your IS on level pavement then place it into Neutral (block your wheels too for safety )

Test #1

- With your foot OFF of the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

Test #2

- With your foot firmly pressing ON the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

If the sound occurs when you turn the wheel and only when you have your foot ON the brake, then most likely, it is the brake pads causing the issue. There's play in the calipers and the pads are moving around and causing the crunching/popping noise. I know, it sounds impossible but that was the issue with mine (my pads were OEM and almost worn to the tabs at that time).

I'm betting that when you turn the wheel with your foot OFF of the brake, you don't hear the popping. You don't have to be moving to hear it. When I had the issue, it was happening when I turned my wheel to turn into a parking space at a slower speed for example, I'd have my foot on the brake, and would hear the noise. With new pads on the fronts, the noise was gone. I guess the new pads stopped the space gaps and from the parts from moving around in the calipers.

Let me know what you find.
Hi, again thank you for the post. I had some time after work to do these test and I found that the car does indeed not make any noise when turning the wheels all the way. It definitely has something to do with the brakes, but I dont think its brake wear. I guess it could possibly be poorly fitting brakes but at this point I have no idea. The brakes still have a good bit of meat on them which is the puzzling part.
Old 06-02-17, 12:40 PM
ancpratt
Rookie

Hey again snabbledab,

Interesting. So, it does make the noise when you apply the brakes while turning the steering wheel? Yep, I still had some meat on my pads too which was the baffling part.

Since I had my car at the dealership testing the noise out (thinking the repair was going to be under warranty, never imaging it was the brake pads), I went ahead and had them install the new pads. Not cheap. So, you may want to go to a trusted mom-and-pop garage to have them install the pads for you instead. Obviously, whatever your comfort level is. I put the minimal dust pads on mine as I couldn't take all of the brake dust from the factory, high-friction set. The dustless ones weren't that much more.

Let me know how you make out!
Old 06-03-17, 03:01 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Hey again snabbledab,

Interesting. So, it does make the noise when you apply the brakes while turning the steering wheel? Yep, I still had some meat on my pads too which was the baffling part.

Since I had my car at the dealership testing the noise out (thinking the repair was going to be under warranty, never imaging it was the brake pads), I went ahead and had them install the new pads. Not cheap. So, you may want to go to a trusted mom-and-pop garage to have them install the pads for you instead. Obviously, whatever your comfort level is. I put the minimal dust pads on mine as I couldn't take all of the brake dust from the factory, high-friction set. The dustless ones weren't that much more.

Let me know how you make out!
Hey thanks for the suggestions and help man. I just dropped off the car at a different dealership and hopefully, they find that there's something wrong with the brakes. I'll keep this post updated when I contact the dealership.
Old 06-09-17, 07:15 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hey thanks for the suggestions and help man. I just dropped off the car at a different dealership and hopefully, they find that there's something wrong with the brakes. I'll keep this post updated when I contact the dealership.
Hey man, were you able to find out what the issue was?
Old 06-09-17, 08:13 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same sound I had on both of my previous cars. Volvo C30 and AWD XC60 it was front brake pads both times. Once they start to wear I would get that sound.
Old 06-09-17, 11:11 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Hey man, were you able to find out what the issue was?
No not yet, I've dropped it off at the dealer and have asked them to check the brakes as well as the suspension. So far they've said that the brakes shouldn't be a problem but they will check them anyways. I'll give you an update once I know more tomorrow.
Old 06-11-17, 07:23 PM
r2digital
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

i actually had the same problem. while replacing my rotors and pads, I accidentally loosened a bolt on the hub assembly thinking it was the caliper bolt. In my case this is what was causing the creaking every time i turned the wheel to one side
Old 06-13-17, 07:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I'm at the dealer, and for what it's worth I have a completely different issue. Apparently I scraped something along the underbody and tore one of the panels and dented the exhaust. The pop I was hearing was the exhaust hitting the underside of the car under braking. Thankfully the exhaust is fine, but I need to get the underbody panels fixed to protect the exhaust, fuel lines, and suspension from things getting kicked up into them.
Old 06-13-17, 08:09 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well ****. That sucks, hopefully it's not to much to get everything sorted.
Old 06-21-17, 10:39 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm at the dealer, and for what it's worth I have a completely different issue. Apparently I scraped something along the underbody and tore one of the panels and dented the exhaust. The pop I was hearing was the exhaust hitting the underside of the car under braking. Thankfully the exhaust is fine, but I need to get the underbody panels fixed to protect the exhaust, fuel lines, and suspension from things getting kicked up into them.
Sorry to hear that man! I hope there wasn't too much damage to repair. Glad you found out what the noise was coming from though!
Old 10-21-19, 08:38 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Bumping this old thread - @snabbledab did you or anyone ever find a solution? Can't seem to figure this sound either and 3 shops including the dealership can't figure it out. 2015 is350 f sport
Old 11-11-19, 07:31 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Bumping this old thread - @snabbledab did you or anyone ever find a solution? Can't seem to figure this sound either and 3 shops including the dealership can't figure it out. 2015 is350 f sport
Weird enough, my tires were the cause of my own issues. Swapped the Dunlop Maxx 050 i bought it with to the Firehawks 500 on Friday and that was the last i heard of any weird noise. I'm happy again lol
Jazzrock (11-11-19)
Old 06-12-20, 12:42 PM
MJan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did someone ever find a cause of this issue?

I have the same popping/creaking noise from the front suspension while turning AND braking, like in this video posted above
on my 2014 IS 250 (non f sport, all stock).
The only thing that reduces the extent of it/makes it go away temporary is greasing up the brakes. That usually lasts around a week or two.

So far I've tried:
New OEM front brake pads and rotors (mine were close to the end of their life, however new ones did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake pad retaining clips (or whatever they are called) and new shim kit (did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake calipers (did not fix the issue)

At this point I'm really frustrated because the whole front brake system is pretty much brand new and yet the issue is still present (and it keeps worsening until it becomes so loud and annoying that I end up greasing up the brakes which solves it for a week or two).
I've bought the car at 30k miles and it did not make any of the noises in the beginning (Car has 60k now).

The issue only starts to happen after a car is driven for a certain period of time (20+ minutes) and the brakes/suspension heats up and reaches the operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods