IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 03:26 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods

Hi everyone, so i was driving my 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport and I noticed that when I was turning at low speeds in my neighborhood, there seems to be a popping/bubbling/creaking noise coming from the front of the car. I have no idea what it is and it's very hard to replicate the noise so i don't know if I can replicate it at the dealership. I was just hoping if anyone has had this happen to them in the past. If i can replicate it will post a link of a video or something

Thank you!
Old 05-27-17, 03:54 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

have you checked the cv boots?
Old 05-30-17, 09:46 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hi everyone, so i was driving my 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport and I noticed that when I was turning at low speeds in my neighborhood, there seems to be a popping/bubbling/creaking noise coming from the front of the car. I have no idea what it is and it's very hard to replicate the noise so i don't know if I can replicate it at the dealership. I was just hoping if anyone has had this happen to them in the past. If i can replicate it will post a link of a video or something

Thank you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2a...ature=youtu.be I was finally able to catch the sound on video. If everyone could give me a look to see if their car has it that would be great. Thank you
Old 05-30-17, 09:47 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Hi ive checked the CV boots and they seem fine. Thank you for the suggestion
Old 05-31-17, 10:48 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you lowered? Could be the springs popping.
Old 05-31-17, 11:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
Are you lowered? Could be the springs popping.
I noticed mine started to do it after I installed the RSR Downs...probably more accurate to say I didn't notice it prior to installing the RSR Downs, but have noticed it now after they were installed.
I'm not absolutely sure the two things are related...but pretty sure.
Honestly, I've chosen to ignore it for the following rationale:
  • The vehicle drives smooth at all speeds 0 - 140kmph
  • The vehicle is stable on the road and the steering responds as expected (and the steering wheel is straight)
  • There are no abnormal vibrations in the vehicle and no other unexplained noises
  • The noise only occurs under one specific condition (low speed turn, while on the brakes, into a driveway over uneven road surface...transition from road to curb to driveway)
  • I've torqued every nut and bolt that was removed to install the RSR Downs to factory spec
  • I have no flipping clue what can be causing it
Old 05-31-17, 12:07 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Spring clunking and popping is usually caused by the springs not properly seated on the strut assembly, either on bottom, top, or both.
Another common cause is the incorrect installation of the perch or upper mount and needs to be re-seated.
This causes the spring to rotate when turning the wheels, building up tension between the springs and the strut assembly. When the tension reaches breaking point, it will "pop" back to its original position.
There are many parts to the strut assembly, so any error in installation can result in clunking noises.
Having said this, it is very common for after market springs to exhibit this symptom, and even more prevalent in coilovers.
You can either wait to see if the springs will settle, or take it apart and install it again.

As for why it only happens at lower speed, is because you are turning at a steeper angle from one road to another at 70-90 degree turns. This is where the tension builds up.
At highway speeds, your turning radius is not as steep (usually 10-30 degrees) so there is very little or no tension build up.
The following users liked this post:
MagStock (08-17-21)
Old 05-31-17, 06:11 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by 600rr
Spring clunking and popping is usually caused by the springs not properly seated on the strut assembly, either on bottom, top, or both.
Another common cause is the incorrect installation of the perch or upper mount and needs to be re-seated.
This causes the spring to rotate when turning the wheels, building up tension between the springs and the strut assembly. When the tension reaches breaking point, it will "pop" back to its original position.
There are many parts to the strut assembly, so any error in installation can result in clunking noises.
Having said this, it is very common for after market springs to exhibit this symptom, and even more prevalent in coilovers.
You can either wait to see if the springs will settle, or take it apart and install it again.

As for why it only happens at lower speed, is because you are turning at a steeper angle from one road to another at 70-90 degree turns. This is where the tension builds up.
At highway speeds, your turning radius is not as steep (usually 10-30 degrees) so there is very little or no tension build up.
Hi thank you for the reply. The thing is that my car is completely stock right now. It just gets annoying that it started happening now
Old 05-31-17, 06:12 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I noticed mine started to do it after I installed the RSR Downs...probably more accurate to say I didn't notice it prior to installing the RSR Downs, but have noticed it now after they were installed.
I'm not absolutely sure the two things are related...but pretty sure.
Honestly, I've chosen to ignore it for the following rationale:
  • The vehicle drives smooth at all speeds 0 - 140kmph
  • The vehicle is stable on the road and the steering responds as expected (and the steering wheel is straight)
  • There are no abnormal vibrations in the vehicle and no other unexplained noises
  • The noise only occurs under one specific condition (low speed turn, while on the brakes, into a driveway over uneven road surface...transition from road to curb to driveway)
  • I've torqued every nut and bolt that was removed to install the RSR Downs to factory spec
  • I have no flipping clue what can be causing it
I'm with you on I can't figure out whats causing the noise. Also I'm completely stock right now which makes it even more frustrating.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 05-31-17, 08:56 PM
ancpratt
Rookie

Hi there,

This exact same noise was happening on my 2014 IS 250 F Sport as well. Turned out that I needed new front brake pads. That cleared it up for me. I thought there was something really wrong with the car but as soon as new shoes were on it, the noise immediately stopped.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.
rrichard7 (08-21-21)
Old 05-31-17, 10:54 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancpratt
Hi there,

This exact same noise was happening on my 2014 IS 250 F Sport as well. Turned out that I needed new front brake pads. That cleared it up for me. I thought there was something really wrong with the car but as soon as new shoes were on it, the noise immediately stopped.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.
Hi thank you for the response. I checked my brakes and they're pretty new with only around 2000 miles so i don't think it's because of that
Old 06-01-17, 09:52 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Hi,

No problem. Do the following two quick tests for me though... These are what the Lexus mechanic and I did together at the dealership when I was having the popping noise issue, as he was stumped at first to what the problem was:

Start your IS on level pavement then place it into Neutral (block your wheels too for safety )

Test #1

- With your foot OFF of the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

Test #2

- With your foot firmly pressing ON the brake, turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Does the popping sound occur?

If the sound occurs when you turn the wheel and only when you have your foot ON the brake, then most likely, it is the brake pads causing the issue. There's play in the calipers and the pads are moving around and causing the crunching/popping noise. I know, it sounds impossible but that was the issue with mine (my pads were OEM and almost worn to the tabs at that time).

I'm betting that when you turn the wheel with your foot OFF of the brake, you don't hear the popping. You don't have to be moving to hear it. When I had the issue, it was happening when I turned my wheel to turn into a parking space at a slower speed for example, I'd have my foot on the brake, and would hear the noise. With new pads on the fronts, the noise was gone. I guess the new pads stopped the space gaps and from the parts from moving around in the calipers.

Let me know what you find.
Old 06-01-17, 10:06 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

why don't you take the car and the video to your local dealership and have them deal with it?
Old 06-01-17, 10:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,497 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Hmm, I have noticed the past week or so when I come to a stop sometimes there's a popping noise. I am wondering if I have a brake pad issue also.
Old 06-01-17, 12:08 PM
ancpratt
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
Hmm, I have noticed the past week or so when I come to a stop sometimes there's a popping noise. I am wondering if I have a brake pad issue also.
Could very well be arentz07.

Quick Reply: Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods