IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rhino ramps

Old 05-24-17, 06:04 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rhino ramps

does anyone have rhino ramps?

planning on doing my own oil change and wondering if the rhino ramps would work for our IS without scraping the front bumper going onto the ramp or have any issue Like that since our cars are fairly low and im on stock suspension. I was also thinking of diy ramps made out of wood planks too.
Old 05-24-17, 08:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

works fine for my 3IS on stock suspension. Dont use on a loose surface
Old 05-24-17, 08:21 AM
stevelifts
Driver

How well is the rhino ramps holding up? Heard reviews that it cracks and isnt really that durable
Old 05-24-17, 05:11 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

i have them, my is lowered on RSR half downs, it rubs a little when you first get onto the ramps but nothing crazy. they are super sturdy, just make sure to chocks the rear wheels.
Old 05-25-17, 09:30 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

There have been threads on this in the past. Please use the search function next time. But yes they are fine with stock suspension for me. I used them to change my oil and my exhaust. They also hold up fine.
Old 08-15-20, 04:27 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Planning to get four of these ramps for my non-lowered 3IS. From the answers here, the front wheels have no problems getting on, how about the rear wheels? Will driving up on all wheels at the same time be workable?
Old 08-15-20, 05:06 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Planning to get four of these ramps for my non-lowered 3IS. From the answers here, the front wheels have no problems getting on, how about the rear wheels? Will driving up on all wheels at the same time be workable?
Unless they have come out with a low profile version, I’d say no. My old Rhino’s will not fit under the rockers.
I don’t use the Rhinos for the front either, got a set of 2-piece RaceRamps when I got my other car, and use them for the IS as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
LexoticJ (09-14-20), zhifan1 (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20, 06:04 AM
captaincap
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I just jack the drivers side to make the oil flow to the plug, you have plenty of room with the right tools. I have a rc
Old 08-15-20, 07:21 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Unless they have come out with a low profile version, I’d say no. My old Rhino’s will not fit under the rockers.
I don’t use the Rhinos for the front either, got a set of 2-piece RaceRamps when I got my other car, and use them for the IS as well.
You can make them work if paired with a jack lift. I've never been able to drive up on them with any car i've owned, however.

They do come in handy by lifting the car a little first, or all the way for that matter. Either as backup/redundancy or outright lifts. A good option to have in your garage considering the low cost.
The following users liked this post:
LexoticJ (09-14-20)
Old 08-15-20, 09:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I just got a set of Rhino Ramps on sale at Canadian Tire...$70 + tax.

There's no way they would fit under the rockers for the rear wheels.
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you could put them behind the rear wheels and back the car onto them.
Then on the front use a floor jack and lift the front by the subframe jacking point and then slide the other set under the front wheels.
You would need to reverse the process to get the car on the ground. At point it doesn't matter how you position them on the front cause you couldn't drive the car off in any direction when you're ready to put it on the ground.
zhifan1 (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20, 10:04 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice, currently torn between the rhino ramps (coz they are cheap) and the race ramps 12" adjustable wheel cribs which can be used to lift all four corners 6" or any two 12" high.. very flexible usage but they cost so much more...
Old 08-15-20, 10:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Thanks for all the advice, currently torn between the rhino ramps (coz they are cheap) and the race ramps 12" adjustable wheel cribs which can be used to lift all four corners 6" or any two 12" high.. very flexible usage but they cost so much more...
Maybe the question should be is 6 inches going to accomplish what you need it to?
If the answer is no and you need to get one end at least 12 inches off the ground, then you're better off with 2 sets of Rhino Ramps.
If 6 inches gets the job done, then it really comes down to price, and the Rhino Ramps is still the winner.
Old 08-15-20, 10:12 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Maybe the question should be is 6 inches going to accomplish what you need it to?
If the answer is no and you need to get one end at least 12 inches off the ground, then you're better off with 2 sets of Rhino Ramps.
If 6 inches gets the job done, then it really comes down to price, and the Rhino Ramps is still the winner.
Yeah the rhino ramps are my 1st choice, chanced upon the race ramps when reading up on the rhino ramps. Other than the usual oil changes, I'm thinking of elevating the car up enough to change the rear diff oil, which is due soon.. 6" off the ground should be enough?
Old 08-15-20, 11:05 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

I think these are the Race Ramps I have, don’t recall where I got them or how much I paid, but they get the wheels 8” off the ground.
I feel better under them than the hollow Rhinos.
When I need the car higher, I boost the frame higher with a jack, wheels stay on the Race Ramps.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Race+Ramps/10...yABEgInYPD_BwE
Old 08-15-20, 03:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I think these are the Race Ramps I have, don’t recall where I got them or how much I paid, but they get the wheels 8” off the ground.
I feel better under them than the hollow Rhinos.
When I need the car higher, I boost the frame higher with a jack, wheels stay on the Race Ramps.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Race+Ramps/10...yABEgInYPD_BwE
I know what you mean about the hollowness of the Rhino Ramps...but they are rated for 16,000lbs, so realistically they could probably support 17,000lbs...no manufacturer isn't going to build in a margin of error on a product like this.
Once I'm not in my IS when it's on the ramps I should be fine lol!!
kj07xk (08-15-20)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rhino ramps