IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thinking about coming back. Sold my 2013 328i Sportline

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 05:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TinoPing
I totally agree with Nathan. I test drove a BMW 440 coupe and ended up buying the IS '17 350F. About BMW, the coupe was the only way I was going to go, despite the impracticality, simply because the 4dr 3 and 4 series both looked way too boring and domesticated style wise. Also a 2013 328 in 2017 will be start of the wallet drain in terms of reliability and maintenance. If youre buying a new BMW to better the 350F, you'll need to get the 6cylinder turbo which will run you an extra $10K for comparable options. Also get your wallet ready down the line. Germans run very high compression on their new turbos.
op's major complaint is speed from his previous, not looks. Install a down-pie, air filter and tune ($1000), the 440i will run low 12s. Faster than the Lexus RCF/GSF
Old 05-22-17, 06:23 PM
RebootIS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched from a F10 BMW 550ix so going from a V8 twin turbo to an IS350 was a step down in power (440HP vs 306HP), but I enjoy driving the IS350 a lot more...not sure why.
Old 05-22-17, 06:57 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RebootIS
I switched from a F10 BMW 550ix so going from a V8 twin turbo to an IS350 was a step down in power (440HP vs 306HP), but I enjoy driving the IS350 a lot more...not sure why.
awd vs rwd
Old 05-22-17, 06:58 PM
RebootIS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
awd vs rwd
Both cars are AWD.
Old 05-22-17, 07:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RebootIS
Both cars are AWD.
decreased testosterone? I dunno...

jk jk man
The following users liked this post:
RebootIS (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 08:00 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by teefar
Test drove a 2014 IS250 today but the power has me reconsidering. Its definitely slower the my 328. I had a 2008 is250 and this feels even slower. Im pretty sure I heard that on here before but I guess didn't take it seriously. The interior has me hooked though.
Curious... how'd you like the 328i? I'm actually thinking about going the other way... from my IS350 to a 328i.
teefar (05-26-17)
Old 05-23-17, 02:38 PM
teefar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
Curious... how'd you like the 328i? I'm actually thinking about going the other way... from my IS350 to a 328i.
Honestly I wasnt that impressed with my 328i, thats why I sold it after a year. The inside felt a little cheap, I didn't have a backup cam, hids, no an alarm and no Bluetooth audio in mine. I kinda rushed on the purchase and ended up regretting it a few months in. Another peeve was the tires were way too narrow... it just didn't have the same stance as the previous sport models. I was pleasantly surprised by the power though... it was a quick little thing.
Old 05-23-17, 06:21 PM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I wasnt that impressed with my 328i, thats why I sold it after a year. The inside felt a little cheap, I didn't have a backup cam, hids, no an alarm and no Bluetooth audio in mine. I kinda rushed on the purchase and ended up regretting it a few months in. Another peeve was the tires were way too narrow... it just didn't have the same stance as the previous sport models. I was pleasantly surprised by the power though... it was a quick little thing.
A base 3 series is only really good for its and engine/tranny combo... used to be for its suspension set up but as we all know BMW has lost its way and is focusing on comfort and tech over sport.
teefar (05-26-17)
Old 05-24-17, 07:48 AM
cupofjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2013 328xi prior to my IS350.

In regards to looks, the IS looks so much better. Many people see the IS as a love it or hate it design, and I love it. The BMW, even though it was impressive in its graphite grey metallic, just doesn't stand out or draw as much attention as my stock ultra-white F Sport. The wheels on the F Sport look fantastic.

The IS350 may be slower on paper compared to a 328xi, but its so much better to drive. The engine sounds better, and has better response. The steering is weighted nicely and provides good feedback. The suspension, especially the adjustable suspension on the F Sport models, is great. The seats on the F Sport are much better than BMW's standard seats or sport seats.

I felt the IS350 is better put together. The 2013 BMW I had was only the second year of the F30 chassis. I had numerous problems with not only mechanical issues (engine, transmission, and steering parts failed and required replacement during my first 9 months), but also many build quality issues. The dealership's service department became my car's natural habitat. In addition to the monthly warranty repairs, nearly every trip to the dealer required another plastic trim piece to be lined with felt tape to silence some rattles. I will say that BMW's service departments were very accommodating. In fact, when my car broke down and I limped to the dealership with it, they unwrapped a new vehicle off the lot, prepped it, and gave it to me as a loaner. A week later, when I was told my repairs would take about 1.5 months, they upgraded my loaner with one that would give me many of the features in my car.

That being said, I also felt that the BMW tech is a bit better than on my IS350. The infotainment system was very easy to use, even by my technology-illiterate father. I also liked how the preset buttons on the dash allowed you to control just about anything in the infotainment system, not just radio presets. Pressing 1 could set the navigation destination to home, or call a specific contact. The screens were built around the iDrive controller, making it very intuitive to navigate menus and make selections. It is a very convenient and well-thought out system. Definitely one of the best in the industry. Lexus' is probably middle of the road. Its not among the best, but its definitely not among the worst. It will take some getting used to. Lexus is also stepping up their game; the new screen in the 2017 IS models is a welcome improvement over the low resolution 8" screen found in previous years.

I do a lot of night time driving, and the BMW also had the adaptive headlights, which were a nice feature. Having headlights that followed the direction of the front wheels brought welcome confidence to driving on dark, winding roads. I also liked the ambient lighting inside the cabin of the 3 series at night. It was easy on the eyes, and made it easy to find items throughout the cabin at night. Comparatively, the Lexus feels very dark at night.

So what's my point? These cars try to be something very different to target very different customers in the compact luxury sedan segment. BMW has gone away from their "ultimate driving machine" motto in favor of making a more comfortable and technologically savvy sedan. The Lexus, however, hopes to be exactly what BMW was. This generation IS reminds me of the previous generation 3 series: its a driver-oriented car. It has great balance, responsiveness, and communicates the road. Yet, it can comfortably eat up highway miles on a long road trip.
teefar (05-26-17)
Old 06-02-17, 04:27 AM
teefar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm officially back...
Picked this up yesterday; got it for 3k less than what I was expecting to pay for one.
2014 IS350 F Sport
Its clean as hell, the color combination I was looking for and also the Mark Levinson and I wasnt even expecting that. It came with the tint which I was planning to do anyway but not this dark, but it looks ok so I'll keep it on there unless there are problems. I didnt have to have the tint removed from the windshield, that was just dangerous. I don't miss my BMW at all...
Old 06-02-17, 04:38 AM
rcsting
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking !! Congrats
Old 06-02-17, 05:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome back. Would like to hear your thoughts on differences between the 350 vs your 328. The combination you have is same as my car
Old 06-02-17, 05:31 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats... great color!
Old 06-02-17, 09:54 AM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good....was this traded in for a P-Car?
Old 06-02-17, 10:27 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Well I'm officially back...
Picked this up yesterday; got it for 3k less than what I was expecting to pay for one.
2014 IS350 F Sport
Its clean as hell, the color combination I was looking for and also the Mark Levinson and I wasnt even expecting that. It came with the tint which I was planning to do anyway but not this dark, but it looks ok so I'll keep it on there unless there are problems. I didnt have to have the tint removed from the windshield, that was just dangerous. I don't miss my BMW at all...
very nice! How many miles on it? Are you planning to buy extended warranty?

curious what's the asking and selling price for the IS

Quick Reply: Thinking about coming back. Sold my 2013 328i Sportline