91.20%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.06%
I always use 89.
2.11%
I always use 87.
5.63%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Old 07-17-17, 01:39 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Interesting Video on fuel...
Old 07-19-17, 11:55 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

From personal experience of using both Mid and Premium, you actually get slightly better highway MPG when using premium. I used to use premium for long trips and switched back and forth to mid in city driving sometimes. If you have to use midgrade, it wouldn't hurt but you wont get maximum potential out of the 350 engine. Just DO NOT use regular. I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by GibbsLexus; 07-19-17 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 12:14 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
From personal experience of using both Mid and Premium, you actually get slightly better highway MPG when using premium. I use premium for long trips and switch back and forth to mid in city driving sometimes. If you have to use midgrade, it wouldn't hurt but you wont get maximum potential out of the 350 engine. Just DO NOT use regular. I wouldn't recommend it.
Why even bother using 89 mid grade? The difference is usually 0.15c per gallon!!!
For a 14 gallon fill, that's a massive $2 difference. Even if you drive a lot and fill up every week, that's an extra $8 a month.
I really don't get these people. Buys a $45k+ car and wouldn't spend the extra $2.
Old 07-19-17, 12:21 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
Why even bother using 89 mid grade? The difference is usually 0.15c per gallon!!!
For a 14 gallon fill, that's a massive $2 difference. Even if you drive a lot and fill up every week, that's an extra $8 a month.
I really don't get these people. Buys a $45k+ car and wouldn't spend the extra $2.
My same exact thought.. why bother trying to save that extra buck or two for midgrade. Just get the premium. Buys 50k car, and goes cheap with gas. Cmon bruh.

Unless your car is leased, then I would understand not caring much. But for you owners out there, use the premium.
Old 07-19-17, 12:29 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't know how many of these threads I've read over the years......

This is a simple question of CAN vs. SHOULD.

Can a car that recommends 91 run on lower? Yes. Probably with a small hit to mileage and power. Modern engines are all equipped to deal with knocking.

Should you? No. Because as the data provided in this thread indicates, year after year forcing your engine into an off-nominal mode to deal with knocking rages somewhere from "most likely" to "will" damage your engine over time. But then several people always chime in and say, "I've used 87 for years and years and never had a problem." To that I say just because someone hasn't had a problem doesn't yet mean they will.

To me it's very simple. Go with what the people who designed the engine say. Car manufacturers are not out there conspiring to force people to buy expensive gas. It's engineering and science. If price isn't an object, there is no reason at all to take on the risk. If cost is an issue, you shouldn't be driving a Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
GibbsLexus (07-19-17), zhifan1 (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 01:24 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
My same exact thought.. why bother trying to save that extra buck or two for midgrade. Just get the premium. Buys 50k car, and goes cheap with gas. Cmon bruh.

Unless your car is leased, then I would understand not caring much. But for you owners out there, use the premium.
No contest, I definitely agree with you. I did that a few times earlier on (almost a year ago) when I was a newbie. I was just sharing my past experience for the OP benefit. All I put in my car is premium 93 now because I value my car and I intend on keeping it for 10+ years.
Old 07-19-17, 02:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
my TRD Toyota solara V6 gas cap says "unleaded fuel only" reason why I stay positive because it's a big different between the regular fuel and the premium fuel , I've learnt this 16 years ago. I put regular it drives fine but pulling sucks like 4cyl corrola. And then I had to replaced knock sensor after 2 years of running regular cost me 350$ oem sensor. Yes it's up to drivers though. Regular fuel sometimes makes the car jerking what I've experienced .
With "unleaded fuel only", I'd say regular is fine, though that label clearly makes no mention of octane rating.

Looked up the owner's manual. It says:
OCTANE RATING

2AZ−FE engine: Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

3MZ−FE engine: Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number of 96) or higher is recommended.

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating or research octane number lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If it is severe, this will lead to engine damage.

Note, this is about the Solara. Don't go putting regular in your IS.
Old 07-19-17, 04:48 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
https://youtu.be/d8L-X89duEs

Interesting Video on fuel...
I have loved Shell V-Power 93 octane since I drove a Subaru WRX. I still use it exclusively in my IS350. I figure if I want to save $10 a month I will cancel HBO or stop buying Starbucks and buy dunking donuts coffee instead.

OP just get fuel rewards and when you go about your normal business you earl 5-20 cents per gallon as you shop of visit stores. Buy the end of a typical month you could have up to $2 off on a gallon up to 20 gallons. t-mobile just did a promotion with them that saved me $25 on gas so there are many other ways to save money on gas without buying the dino-pee that is 87-89 octane. By the way mid grade is just premium and regular mixed 1/2 and 1/2. It's litterally cheaper to just put 1/2 of tank of 87 and half 93 to make your own 89 in the tank
Old 07-19-17, 10:59 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what if you get free gas? would you guys still put them in? the octane rating is unknown since i salvage them from junk cars. i save at least 100 a month on gas, in fact, i never go to gas station for gas ever since i got the car lol i know that it will ruin my engine in the long run, but what the hell.. free gas!!!! i have a Fill-Rite fuel pump with water block filter to transfer all my gas. i tried to only salvage from cars that run premium gas, but still you can't tell if the owner actually used premium. that's why i use chevron fuel injector cleaner every 1000 miles to prevent issues in the long run.

my 200t is at 26k mileage now and i don't notice any performance decrease. i always drive in sport mode and aggressive to push out all the carbon lol besides, i don't care about gas mileage.

what do you guys think? should i continue using these salvage gas?
Old 07-20-17, 02:03 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just get the right fuel for the car, otherwise why would you get a Lexus then? If you have the money to afford the Lexus, you have money to for the fuel.

Just for kicks, rarely would put Chevron 94 in since it has 0 ethanol.
Old 07-20-17, 04:19 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
what if you get free gas? would you guys still put them in? the octane rating is unknown since i salvage them from junk cars. i save at least 100 a month on gas, in fact, i never go to gas station for gas ever since i got the car lol i know that it will ruin my engine in the long run, but what the hell.. free gas!!!! i have a Fill-Rite fuel pump with water block filter to transfer all my gas. i tried to only salvage from cars that run premium gas, but still you can't tell if the owner actually used premium. that's why i use chevron fuel injector cleaner every 1000 miles to prevent issues in the long run.

my 200t is at 26k mileage now and i don't notice any performance decrease. i always drive in sport mode and aggressive to push out all the carbon lol besides, i don't care about gas mileage.

Yes I would.
Old 07-20-17, 06:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I would just get the right fuel for the car, otherwise why would you get a Lexus then? If you have the money to afford the Lexus, you have money to for the fuel.

Just for kicks, rarely would put Chevron 94 in since it has 0 ethanol.
I put some ethanol-free gas in my car once while I was on a road trip, and I swear it felt much more responsive after that. Might have been placebo effect, but hey. Gas station I went to was Sinclair.

Originally Posted by UngBuck

The following users liked this post:
UngBuck (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 07:50 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All Lexus IS model’s engine’s specified Fuel Octane Rating is 91 or higher for optimum engine performance and lifetime.

If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use an octane as low as 87.

Use of an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking, rough idle, noisy engine sounds.

Persistent knocking can lead to expensive engine damage, or worse…

Avoid or correct the above issues by refueling with higher octane gasoline.

^-- partially quoted from our owner’s manuals.

BTW, never tell the dealer you used anything less than the specified gas. Or.... be the good Samaritan and fess up to your mistake.
Old 07-20-17, 12:54 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I put some ethanol-free gas in my car once while I was on a road trip, and I swear it felt much more responsive after that. Might have been placebo effect, but hey. Gas station I went to was Sinclair.
I'd be willing to bet what you experienced was real. I had the same car during the span of time in WA state when we went from ethanol free to E10, and I was tracking my MPG with every tank. E10 dropped my MPG by ~10% (and I had years of data on either side of the change). Of course E10 is all I can get now. So I was able to quantify some inefficiency, but a small change in performance is more of a butt-feel thing.
Old 07-21-17, 07:05 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
I may be a bit late, but it's not accurate to refer to octane in terms of grade (what it costs, or quality) or level, or type.
Octane is not a substance, or a level of distillation accuracy, or an additive.
It's a comparison between the fuel you're buying and 100% iso-octane as to a single property: knock resistance. 100 is equal, 99 is less, 70 is too much less.
That's all it does, it's not "better" or "different" in any way (except as specified).
If you don't need it, it's just money wasted since it contains less thermal energy per gallon than low octane. Using CAM2, Sunoco 116, etc. is wasting money for any production car ("but it feels faster": that's your lighter wallet).
If your sonic knock-detection system and its spark retard work well (IDK how long they last) the ECM will adjust to lower octane by making the car slower at (nearly) WOT.
Let's focus on Toyota/Lexus Engine ! older Toyota Engine for Camry and ES released in America in 1992 ( 1MZ-FE) did requires Premium Fuel Only especially for Solara ES and Highlander user's manual says Premium Fuel Only, When Engineer stated on the user's manual we should follow because it was true that if we use Lower Grade gas, THE KNOCK SENSORS WILL DIE, canister and injectors will clog up, and the Fuel Filter ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)