How do you wash/clean your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 05:48 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default How do you wash/clean your IS?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what type of method/products do you guys use to wash/clean your IS?

So far, I've been doing the two bucket method. But, I'm looking into purchasing a foam gun.. are they better/more efficient when washing the car? Any brand recommendations?

I found these with a quick search on amazon..

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-20-17, 06:29 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I detail cats for a living and I own a 3IS myself, I would suggest Chemical guys' stuff. Foam gun, wax, wheel cleaner.. whatever you need. A little pricey but worth it.

and please whatever you do, NO BROWN BEAR car washes hahaha
The following users liked this post:
pixelated (04-23-17)
Old 04-20-17, 06:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
I detail cats for a living and I own a 3IS myself, I would suggest Chemical guys' stuff. Foam gun, wax, wheel cleaner.. whatever you need. A little pricey but worth it.

and please whatever you do, NO BROWN BEAR car washes hahaha
Do you have any experience with Chemical guy's foam blaster?
Amazon Amazon

For essential products, I mainly go with Meguiars for soap, detailers, wax, mitts, MF, etc.
Old 04-20-17, 06:38 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Meant to say cars not cats obviously lmao I've used there blaster and there's nothing fancy about it I suppose. If you can find a cheaper one get it, but as far as products, I think they're one of the best
Old 04-20-17, 06:39 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Plus they also have tons of YouTube videos showing how to use products if you never have before.
Old 04-20-17, 06:48 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
Meant to say cars not cats obviously lmao I've used there blaster and there's nothing fancy about it I suppose. If you can find a cheaper one get it, but as far as products, I think they're one of the best
With the foam gun, the Gilmour has more positive reviews & priced at $40, whereas Chemical guys' is priced at $50. Both attaches to a normal garden hose which makes things easier. (I don't have a pressure washer).

I'm thinking of picking either one of these up, hoping it will cut my car wash time. Since you had experienced with foam guns, any recommendations for soap to pair it with? I use Meg's Gold Class when I hand wash, will this work with the gun as well?
Old 04-20-17, 07:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not a fan of Chemical Guy but since the two foam guns are the same, go with whatever is cheaper.

Meguiars Gold Class soap works fine with the foam gun. Just don't expect the same kind of foaming as a decent soap in a foam lance made to be used with a pressure washer.

If I was you, skip the foam gun. It's a novelty item and you'll end up using more soap than necessary for a car wash. I have one and it now sits on the shelf collecting dust. I'm back to two bucket method for the 'major' car wash and then rinseless wash for when the car isn't as soiled.
Old 04-20-17, 07:09 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
With the foam gun, the Gilmour has more positive reviews & priced at $40, whereas Chemical guys' is priced at $50. Both attaches to a normal garden hose which makes things easier. (I don't have a pressure washer).

I'm thinking of picking either one of these up, hoping it will cut my car wash time. Since you had experienced with foam guns, any recommendations for soap to pair it with? I use Meg's Gold Class when I hand wash, will this work with the gun as well?
We have a foam gun, I'm pretty sure it's Chemical Guys. Our pressure washer isn't running at the moment, so we hooked it up to the hose. It was unimpressive. We won't be using it again until the pw is back in service, if at all.

I agree with GSteg - two bucket or rinseless.

Last edited by doodlebug; 04-20-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 07:14 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm not a fan of Chemical Guy but since the two foam guns are the same, go with whatever is cheaper.

Meguiars Gold Class soap works fine with the foam gun. Just don't expect the same kind of foaming as a decent soap in a foam lance made to be used with a pressure washer.

If I was you, skip the foam gun. It's a novelty item and you'll end up using more soap than necessary for a car wash. I have one and it now sits on the shelf collecting dust. I'm back to two bucket method for the 'major' car wash and then rinseless wash for when the car isn't as soiled.
Agreed with this. I use the two bucket method sans the foam gun and I've had nothing short of great results. Always get compliments on it.
Old 04-20-17, 08:08 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Should send me your foam gun lol.

But in a sense, wouldn't a foam gun help lift dirt off the paint to prevent swirls? I use two bucket method with grit guards and a MF mitt, and yet I still get light swirls from time to time.

Originally Posted by doodlebug
We have a foam gun, I'm pretty sure it's Chemical Guys. Our pressure washer isn't running at the moment, so we hooked it up to the hose. It was unimpressive. We won't be using it again until the pw is back in service, if at all.

I agree with GSteg - two bucket or rinseless.
Do you use a foam cannon with your PW? I don't have a PW, but maybe my dad does lol.
Old 04-21-17, 01:25 AM
blkisf7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know plenty of car enthusiasts who literally are oblivious to swirl marks and other imperfections in their paint that they personally cause. I personally have a 16' Obsidian IS 350 and Lexus black paint is notoriously soft. Another word of caution would be to never let the dealership wash your car; they use automated or brushes to wash and that just destroys the paint.

I use a Ryobi pressure washer with MTM Foam cannon and a CR Spotless water deionizer so I don't have to dry my car. The less you touch the paint, the better. I use a two bucket w/ grit guard system and about 6-7 Microfiber Madness Incredimitts (Made in Germany). Like others have said, tons of content on YouTube but I recommend checking out Obsessed Garage; long but informative videos. In the end, it depends on how much you care about your paint. I've had several black cars and have never had an issue with swirl marks or any other scratching but my methods may be a bit much for a new "detailer". Feel free to message me for more questions, I can't tell you how many car owners I've seen who haven't the slightest clue on how to take care of their paint. Meguair's Gold Class is fine, but there are better choices.
Old 04-21-17, 04:04 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you use a foam cannon with your PW? I don't have a PW, but maybe my dad does lol.
My husband said our gun is only for hose use. So, disregard my previous statement. What we have IMO.... is a waste of money and water.

Last edited by doodlebug; 04-21-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 06:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

But in a sense, wouldn't a foam gun help lift dirt off the paint to prevent swirls? I use two bucket method with grit guards and a MF mitt, and yet I still get light swirls from time to time.
You don't need foam to lift dirt (most rinseless wash do not produce foam!).

If you're getting swirls from using the two bucket with grit guard, then I'm willing to bet it's coming from your drying method. Any loose contaminant that's not washed off prior to drying will create swirls when you wipe your drying towel across the surface.

I use a relatively powerful leaf blower to remove most of the water and then dry what's left over with a towel.
Old 04-21-17, 02:14 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

You don't need foam to lift dirt (most rinseless wash do not produce foam!).

If you're getting swirls from using the two bucket with grit guard, then I'm willing to bet it's coming from your drying method. Any loose contaminant that's not washed off prior to drying will create swirls when you wipe your drying towel across the surface.

I use a relatively powerful leaf blower to remove most of the water and then dry what's left over with a towel.
I use Meg's water magnet towel to dry.. but most of the time I just let it air dry lol. I did let the dealer wash my car at 5k service... thats probably where some of swirls came from.

However, I went ahead and picked up this foam gun for $40...
Amazon Amazon

Its probably not as effective as a foam cannon, but I could use the foam gun to apply my soap, than do my 1 or 2 buckets.
Old 04-21-17, 08:48 PM
blkisf7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Southern California (Beverly Hills) and the TDS in the tap water is off the charts. Letting your car air dry seems ill-advised unless you're using deionized water. What color is your car? If it's black I think you'd be able to notice alot of water spots if you just let it air dry..

Quick Reply: How do you wash/clean your IS?