IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Whats your avg tire psi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 01:57 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Some owners manuals even recommend increasing the tire pressure by a specific amount if you will be driving faster that a specific speed (i.e if you are consistently driving over 160 kmph, ...
The owner manual for my 2016 IS 350 recommends 38 psi (measured while cold) only if you plan to exceed speeds over 140 miles per hour.
Normal pressure is 36 psi.
Old 04-17-17, 03:18 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The recommended tire pressure is based on the vehicle AND the tire size. Once you deviate from one of them (typically the tire size), then the recommended pressure no longer applies...you're on your own at that point.
There are vehicles that come in different engine/drivetrain configurations, and depending on how the vehicle is equipped will change the tire pressure, even the pressure from front to rear in some cases.
It just so happens that the 3IS, no matter the engine or wheel/tire configuration, the recommended pressure is 36PSI all around.
Some owners manuals even recommend increasing the tire pressure by a specific amount if you will be driving faster that a specific speed (i.e if you are consistently driving over 160 kmph, increase the tire pressure by 5 PSI)
You're wrong on this one bro !

1, The STicker on the side of your driver door does mean something, 2014-2015 3IS recommended 36 psi all around at normal driving condition daily commute for instance, you can increase psi from min 36 psi to 40 depend on what you do where you drive, if you go for Track of course 40 psi+ maxed is recommended by the Tires manufacture, Toyota Lexus do not recommend for STun driving burn out or donut etc. (abusive driving).
2, Your tires psi will automatically increases psi itself from 4-8 psi after DRIVING FOR 15 mins+ according to the weather, cold = 4-5 psi increase, hot = 8-10 psi increase max out will be 11-12 psi depend on what brand and type of tires.
3, Tires Manufacturing tells you by putting the letters on their tires "DO NOT MAX OUT 50 PSI" that's not a recommendation it's a "WARN"

2006-2010 Lexus IS psi = 35 front 37 rear / 2011-2013 Lexus IS psi = 35 front 38 rear / 2014+ Lexus IS 36 all around , you can go up to 2-3 more PSI don't go too much or too low or it causes tires premature wears, weight of vehicle and design does affect tires pressure and driving experience, tires don't look anything big to you BUT THEY ARE THE MAIN GUY of the car's component

in some case like you have experience with bouncy tires or noise or vibration, the 1st you will have to check is TIRES PRESSURE, for example like if you have vibration while driving on highway, try to decrease psi by -1 if not -2, if you have noise etc. increase psi to +1 or 2 just don't go over 3 psi based on Lexus recommended always within OEM specs.

Just bought a brand new set of YOkohama Made in Japan myself and had vibration issue re-balance 2 times and it's still there, my Shop told me to ROADForce balance, you know what ? i decreased psi by -2 and the vibration gone, now my car drive smooth like a USS-Vinson warship, Ok lastly, we are Lexus fellas we talk about Lexus and we help each others fix Lexus, don't bring other Car like Ford or Nascar BMW Audi etc in the story, we're totally different CHASSIS and weight thus the PSI will not be the same, it's a common sense for tires that, If you put too much pressure you'll get vibrate, if you put too less you get sloppy drive even steering pulls Thank you.

Last edited by Solara350; 04-17-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 03:22 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you can get better traction in snow/ice/sand/mud with lower pressures...when I take my truck to the dunes or when I was in alaska winters, I dropped psi to 20 or less....higher speeds want higher pressures
Old 04-17-17, 03:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torii
you can get better traction in snow/ice/sand/mud with lower pressures...when I take my truck to the dunes or when I was in alaska winters, I dropped psi to 20 or less....higher speeds want higher pressures
Certainly ! it's the trick that drivers been doing for the last 30 years, lower your pressure its good for BIG RAIN or SNOW of course. Totally true !
Old 04-17-17, 03:28 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer higher psi on my tires to prevent flats, i live in a city with lots of pot holes and also higher psi improves gas mileage although not sure how trust that is
Old 04-17-17, 03:44 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevelifts
I prefer higher psi on my tires to prevent flats, i live in a city with lots of pot holes and also higher psi improves gas mileage although not sure how trust that is
another good point, Its true that high PSI improves MPG but too much psi will cause premature wears. Ya city driving is pain with potholes.
Old 04-17-17, 04:39 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
You're wrong on this one bro !

1, The STicker on the side of your driver door does mean something, 2014-2015 3IS recommended 36 psi all around at normal driving condition daily commute for instance, you can increase psi from min 36 psi to 40 depend on what you do where you drive, if you go for Track of course 40 psi+ maxed is recommended by the Tires manufacture, Toyota Lexus do not recommend for STun driving burn out or donut etc. (abusive driving).
2, Your tires psi will automatically increases psi itself from 4-8 psi after DRIVING FOR 15 mins+ according to the weather, cold = 4-5 psi increase, hot = 8-10 psi increase max out will be 11-12 psi depend on what brand and type of tires.
3, Tires Manufacturing tells you by putting the letters on their tires "DO NOT MAX OUT 50 PSI" that's not a recommendation it's a "WARN"

2006-2010 Lexus IS psi = 35 front 37 rear / 2011-2013 Lexus IS psi = 35 front 38 rear / 2014+ Lexus IS 36 all around , you can go up to 2-3 more PSI don't go too much or too low or it causes tires premature wears, weight of vehicle and design does affect tires pressure and driving experience, tires don't look anything big to you BUT THEY ARE THE MAIN GUY of the car's component

in some case like you have experience with bouncy tires or noise or vibration, the 1st you will have to check is TIRES PRESSURE, for example like if you have vibration while driving on highway, try to decrease psi by -1 if not -2, if you have noise etc. increase psi to +1 or 2 just don't go over 3 psi based on Lexus recommended always within OEM specs.

Just bought a brand new set of YOkohama Made in Japan myself and had vibration issue re-balance 2 times and it's still there, my Shop told me to ROADForce balance, you know what ? i decreased psi by -2 and the vibration gone, now my car drive smooth like a USS-Vinson warship, Ok lastly, we are Lexus fellas we talk about Lexus and we help each others fix Lexus, don't bring other Car like Ford or Nascar BMW Audi etc in the story, we're totally different CHASSIS and weight thus the PSI will not be the same, it's a common sense for tires that, If you put too much pressure you'll get vibrate, if you put too less you get sloppy drive even steering pulls Thank you.
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, however, I'm not sure how you got at that from the few lines I typed.
And to clarify, the reference to 160kmph and adding 5 PSI...it's from the owners manual for a 2008 Toyota Highlander...a vehicle from the same family of manufacturer as Lexus and Scion.
Old 04-17-17, 05:34 PM
Solara350
Instructor

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, however, I'm not sure how you got at that from the few lines I typed.
And to clarify, the reference to 160kmph and adding 5 PSI...it's from the owners manual for a 2008 Toyota Highlander...a vehicle from the same family of manufacturer as Lexus and Scion.
check the car yourself while driving , I've learnt this from school and tires master tech I don't read user manual I work with it and learn from it , manual says increase by 5 but actually more for some tires brands , I quoted you and also advice to others , tires increases psi when it's hot not speed , I don't read listen or heard from others , I do it I experience it, nobody knows everything thus I do collect all info on the internet.
Old 04-18-17, 12:37 AM
J21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 PSI cold
Old 04-18-17, 09:46 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im running PSS.
245/35/19--F
275/30/19--R

Winter PSI
38F
40R

Summer PSI
38F
38R
Old 04-18-17, 11:37 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I consider what the car sticker says and what the tires will allow, and just put the psi where I want it based on what kind of ride I want. Generally speaking I like 36-38 as a balance between ride and performance. I don't think there is a magic right answer short of staying away from a safety issue (too low or too high).
Old 04-18-17, 06:27 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I consider what the car sticker says and what the tires will allow, and just put the psi where I want it based on what kind of ride I want. Generally speaking I like 36-38 as a balance between ride and performance. I don't think there is a magic right answer short of staying away from a safety issue (too low or too high).
yep you're right, thats what i always recommend drivers, i do maxed 38 psi on my car i never put more than 39 psi. winter i put 34 psi when tires gets hot it's perfectly set psi to 36 for me, for some tires brand i put 34 psi like Yokohama i have right now.
Old 04-18-17, 08:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Sounds exactly like what I do - I tend to stay close the sticker's recommendation. I am usually 35-37 depending on the temperature. I don't let the pressure get below 34 cold because I want them to wear evenly.
Old 04-19-17, 11:34 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

36 front / 38 rear cold
Old 04-20-17, 08:18 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkhang714
I run 45psi on a max 50psi tire.
why so high?