IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Have anyone install Oil Catch Can on their Gen3 IS ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 04:31 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Have anyone install Oil Catch Can on their Gen3 IS ?

Updated :
I just installed an Oil Catch Can on my 3IS-350 F-sport today, i also replace PCV, Throttle Body clean and MAF sensor clean, these pics here might give you an idea where to mount or what to use for your Catch Can on 3rd Generation Lexus.

1st of all , Lemme show off my TRD Toyota Solara and here are the pictures with catch can mount below
You might want a Can like mine or smaller because it touches the brake fluid reservoir
3rd Gen IS Lexus build in Hanger mount of 2 types you can choose the bottom or top one right beside your AVS control
you need a C shape stand mount and a V shape top mount, depend on which Can you buy, if your Can mount screw is in the middle you just need the C shape
Look here, because the Can i got it was cheap and i modified the Baffle myself and it is Top mount so i need the V shape bar on top with multi holes i can put or point wherever i want, you need NUTS and BOLTS type of mount not screws.Here the Fuel Injector From Lexus Downtown OEM

Lexus Fuel injector is kind different use compare to aftermarket, usually aftermarket one you just need to pour it in before you pump gas, Lexus one you pour it in when your gas tank is at 25% quarter, drive it until you get the gas warning light comes up (highway drive is recommended) and then you pump your gas in, do it 2-3 times in a row of gas fill and then do it once in awhile.

I'm now more like a Car Care guy, no more Car Mod, don't get me wrong car mod gains nothing but headache ! 3rd Gen IS has bracket build in to mount Oil Catch Can right beside your PCV, no Mod no Drill or zip tie needed, here the Stand C shape that i used

I have a whole bunch of different mount bracket that fits on 3IS oil catch can, REMEMBER BUY an OIL CATCH CAN WITH A BAFFLE or you can make one yourself, catch Can without Baffle is useless a Baffle that can separate the air/vapor not the steel wool you buy from Walmart or Dollar Store, have fun !
Drain your Catch Can every Engine oil change but make sure to look at the level bar every 2,000km 1.500 miles.

Last edited by Solara350; 05-05-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 06:05 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here I have an OCC and I want to install it on my 3IS since it was installed on a turbo Hyundai and I will sell the Hyundai soon.
Old 04-10-17, 11:53 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confused as to why you guys need this on an IS350. I would understand on an IS250 with the carbon build up issues.
The following users liked this post:
Buthoney (04-24-20)
Old 04-11-17, 05:53 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

The OCC provide better protection for the engine and will reduce the dirt accumulation on the throttle body and the engine internals.
Old 04-11-17, 06:46 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilvrBulet
Confused as to why you guys need this on an IS350. I would understand on an IS250 with the carbon build up issues.
Originally Posted by AMNss
The OCC provide better protection for the engine and will reduce the dirt accumulation on the throttle body and the engine internals.
What AMNss said there >>>

Even if it's not a Direct injection engine your Engine will breath better and better RPM responds thus engine will run smoother, 100% positive it's work and it's helped, we've been testing it for many years and cars, you don't have to install one like you said IS350 has port D.I.E (Direction Injection Engine) we don't really have to have one but it's not bad to have one, it's a cheap add on that really effective why not right ? change your PCV valve in every 25-35k miles will help too PCV valve costs 10$ at Lexus Dealership, why not ? why cheap for 10$ ?
I've read many post on Clublexus there are members against this upgrade, trust me those guys don't know anything about Engine they only talk for their car, BMW and Mercedes has OEM Oil Catch can for their car on some model too, Swedish Engineer invented Direct Injection Engine they knows better. His name is Jonas Hesselman D.I.E created in 1925. during 1st world war if i don't forget.
Get the Catch Can that comes with Baffle or its useless, i work for a Mechanical company i will spend time this week to find a bracket or a mount for my catch can, we have Holiday this week in Toronto Canada, Good Friday . i will post pic, i need to pick up a PCV valve at Downtown Lexus too before i put the Can on.
Old 04-14-17, 08:23 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Same here I have an OCC and I want to install it on my 3IS since it was installed on a turbo Hyundai and I will sell the Hyundai soon.
I found out 3IS has build in bracket for Oil Catch Can mount, check my updated thread pics
Old 04-15-17, 07:26 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Thank you for the pictures. It seems that you connected it to the PCV side not to the intake side hose. BTW what size of hoses did you use?
Old 04-15-17, 08:14 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

some mfgr's have voided warranties for catch cans. i had one on my Lightning but not on my Vette. i personally don't see the harm in keeping your intake manifold clean but who really knows? so beware.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ch-can-249809/
Old 04-15-17, 09:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
some mfgr's have voided warranties for catch cans. i had one on my Lightning but not on my Vette. i personally don't see the harm in keeping your intake manifold clean but who really knows? so beware.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ch-can-249809/
that is my main worry and the hesitancy that goes along with it is driving me away from installing an occ.
Old 04-15-17, 09:47 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Before any warranty work remove it, it will take about 5 mins.
Old 04-15-17, 07:50 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Thank you for the pictures. It seems that you connected it to the PCV side not to the intake side hose. BTW what size of hoses did you use?
Lexus Toyota original size is 1/2 the Can i bought came with 3/4 so i bought bigger hose than original from Lexus PCV valve input and output hose, depend on what Can you buy and how much you wanna spend, i bought cheap can from China and make the Baffle myself, i just love doing car things to enjoy the free time on the weekend, China seller only sent me just the can alone, i made the rest myself.

PCV is where you should connect for LExus Toyota not intake side hose, i used to tested on my Toyota by connected from the intake hose, after 3000 miles i only got a few drops of oil in the can lol, switch the hose to PCV i collect 100-200ml oil after 1500 miles.
Old 04-15-17, 08:06 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by davyjordi
that is my main worry and the hesitancy that goes along with it is driving me away from installing an occ.
I have never seen a Japanese or European car failed due to the Oil Catch Can, GM Engine is ****, that dude probably burnt out or spinning tires too much that's why it fails same as Hyundai Tiberon, Hyundai and Kia just recall 1.5 millions vehicle due to Engine Failure. There are OEM oil catch can for some of GM vehicles i don't know why they Voids warranty for Camaro 5, they just blaming the aftermarket mod, oil catch can has 0 point of harming the engine beside separate the vapor/gust from going back into the engine and burns down to the exhaust. If you check YOutube there are many videos shown new Mustang and Camaro got failed Engine or Transmission, i know them so well that's why i never drove one, their handling is crap too, sometimes i wanna try out Mustang or Camaro but the their too much issue that keeps me away from thinking of it. for Japanese there are 3 most reliable cars like Toyota Honda Subaru, Nissan Mazda and Mitsubishi are garbage. European = Mercedes BMW Audi.
Old 04-15-17, 08:10 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Dealership or car sale guy will never be honest to you, why you being honest to them ? AMMs said 5 mins take it off whenever you travel to your dealership ! yours is 250 you need that Can.
Old 04-24-20, 09:26 AM
RedMask
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Updated :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWz6vCnJ4CA
I just installed an Oil Catch Can on my 3IS-350 F-sport today, i also replace PCV, Throttle Body clean and MAF sensor clean, these pics here might give you an idea where to mount or what to use for your Catch Can on 3rd Generation Lexus.

1st of all , Lemme show off my TRD Toyota Solara and here are the pictures with catch can mount below
You might want a Can like mine or smaller because it touches the brake fluid reservoir
3rd Gen IS Lexus build in Hanger mount of 2 types you can choose the bottom or top one right beside your AVS control
you need a C shape stand mount and a V shape top mount, depend on which Can you buy, if your Can mount screw is in the middle you just need the C shape
Look here, because the Can i got it was cheap and i modified the Baffle myself and it is Top mount so i need the V shape bar on top with multi holes i can put or point wherever i want, you need NUTS and BOLTS type of mount not screws.Here the Fuel Injector From Lexus Downtown OEM

Lexus Fuel injector is kind different use compare to aftermarket, usually aftermarket one you just need to pour it in before you pump gas, Lexus one you pour it in when your gas tank is at 25% quarter, drive it until you get the gas warning light comes up (highway drive is recommended) and then you pump your gas in, do it 2-3 times in a row of gas fill and then do it once in awhile.

I'm now more like a Car Care guy, no more Car Mod, don't get me wrong car mod gains nothing but headache ! 3rd Gen IS has bracket build in to mount Oil Catch Can right beside your PCV, no Mod no Drill or zip tie needed, here the Stand C shape that i used

I have a whole bunch of different mount bracket that fits on 3IS oil catch can, REMEMBER BUY an OIL CATCH CAN WITH A BAFFLE or you can make one yourself, catch Can without Baffle is useless a Baffle that can separate the air/vapor not the steel wool you buy from Walmart or Dollar Store, have fun !
Drain your Catch Can every Engine oil change but make sure to look at the level bar every 2,000km 1.500 miles.
so is the catchcan really worth it in the end? This is the only post i found that installed it. I bought one and its on the way for my is350. But im trying to figure out if it is a waste of money, or just install it. Need to know so i cancel or wait for my order. Thanks
Old 04-26-20, 04:27 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RedMask
so is the catchcan really worth it in the end? This is the only post i found that installed it. I bought one and its on the way for my is350. But im trying to figure out if it is a waste of money, or just install it. Need to know so i cancel or wait for my order. Thanks
OCC is proven beneficial especially on DI engines. Engines with both PI and DI ... not so much.

Maybe you can let us know after the installation if it does really work on your car.

Quick Reply: Have anyone install Oil Catch Can on their Gen3 IS ?