IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t Turbo Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 04:30 PM
kigdaza
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS200t Turbo Flutter

For the IS200t, it doesn't use have a traditional mechanical BOV. In stead it uses a electronic By-Pass-Valve.
The bypass is apart of the turbo housing, that is why its hard to figure out.
Located under the intake just before the turbo is the connector for this. (Black 2 wire connector)
If this is disconnected it stops the electronic By-Pass-Valve from opening, meaning more turbo flutter coming off boost.
Those with an intake will hear it more. If you do decide to leave it disconnected, it would recommend you get something to plug up the connects from water getting into them.
Just wanted to let everyone know.
Attached Thumbnails IS200t Turbo Flutter-dsc_0474.jpg   IS200t Turbo Flutter-dsc_0477.jpg   IS200t Turbo Flutter-dsc_0475.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
LexiIS (01-12-21)
Old 03-25-17, 07:04 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

soooo someone would disconnect this only because they like the sound? idk...never had a turbo before.
Old 03-25-17, 07:25 AM
kigdaza
Driver School Candidate

This is a similar of what you expect.
The following users liked this post:
gbgary (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 07:33 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My goodness, do not do this! The OP's reason for unplugging his bypass valve is worse than his grammar.

Doing this will 100% damage your turbo and/or intake system in short order, and will certainly void your warranty on the affected components. Do not do it.

You want the pent-up pressure in the intake system to be released as easily as possible through the bypass valve when you let off the accelerator. Especially after heavy acceleration.

This is the worst advice I've ever read on this forum.

Should moderators close this thread?
Old 03-25-17, 07:46 AM
kigdaza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machine13
My goodness, do not do this! The OP's reason for unplugging his bypass valve is worse than his grammar.

Doing this will 100% damage your turbo and/or intake system in short order, and will certainly void your warranty on the affected components. Do not do it.

You want the pent-up pressure in the intake system to be released as easily as possible through the bypass valve when you let off the accelerator. Especially after heavy acceleration.

Calm down keyboard warrior. It was not advice, it was infromation for people to know. People can make their own judgements.
There are pleanty of high performance cars out there pushing alot more power and boost and not having a problem by doing this.
It will cause more turbo lag as it will slow down the turbo more before coming on boost again.

Last edited by kigdaza; 03-25-17 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 07:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It will likely sound mad cool right up until the engine explodes.
Old 03-25-17, 07:54 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Further, venting the already pressurized air back through the bypass valve and back into the intake pre-turbo but post MAF help's with turbo effieceny and, thus, gas mileage. Disconnecting the bypass valve should cause your mpg' to suffer.

Also, not venting the extra air out of the throttle body will cause the turbo to always be working and compressing the air and never receive the benefit of the recycled pressurized air, which would cause the turbo to spool slower and affect acceleration.
Old 03-25-17, 08:00 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kigdaza
Calm down keyboard warrior. It was not advice, it was infromation for people to know. People can make their own judgements.
There are pleanty of high performance cars out there pushing alot more power and boost and not having a problem by doing this.
It will cause more turbo lag as it will slow down the turbo more before coming on boost again.
Advice or not, your original post seems like you're condoning that people should consider this. At a minimum you should add a giant warning to your original post that doing this is at their own risk. Clearly not everyone in this thread makes the best judgements. Speaking to you OP.
Old 03-25-17, 08:36 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Advice or not, your original post seems like you're condoning that people should consider this. At a minimum you should add a giant warning to your original post that doing this is at their own risk. Clearly not everyone in this thread makes the best judgements. Speaking to you OP.
Both of you just calm down, we are not kids,

1st, he posted something interesting but he never recommended anyone to do so, why you condemn him ?
2, You're old enough to decide what you should do, if he tells you to jump off the bridge you listen to him ?
3, He was so excited to post a post and hope people enjoy with him, why you hurt his feeling ?
4, If the Mod is no good you just kindly tell him or suggestion him.
5, Next time even if you don't like the person or the thread don't say that "Moderator should close his thread" you can ignore with the button below.

I personally like that noise, it reminds me of Transformer "Autobot"
Old 03-25-17, 09:05 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

I am sorry if I offended you. My concerns were for the community at large. The original post would've helped no one, but likely would've hurt a few who decided to try it because of this thread.
Old 03-25-17, 09:34 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks for the info everyone.
Old 03-25-17, 10:08 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

The bypass valve is required to avoid compressor stall when you back off the throttle (i.e. throttle plates close between turbo and inlet, turbo pressure has nowhere to go when the plates are closed, so will stall/stop spinning and possibly damage the turbo bearings due to rapid deceleration if it can't vent.)

The ECU may also see it and throw a code.
Old 03-25-17, 01:56 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All you need is an intake and exhaust and you hear the bpv perfectly.....no disconnecting needed and no compressor surge lol

Last edited by SubieChik; 03-25-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 11:19 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I was actually going to ask if anyone's tried this and if they had any issues. Glad you posted this, I wont be trying this mod no more.
Old 07-03-18, 08:41 AM
blkout250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is300 2018

Just got an is300 2018 and I want to hear that bov but I'm taking the intake and exhaust guy advice. Now what intake do you guys recommend

Quick Reply: IS200t Turbo Flutter