IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 is350 f sport excessive road noise at 70-75mph from front driver side only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 03:42 AM
r2digital
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 is350 f sport excessive road noise at 70-75mph from front driver side only?

im the proud owner of a 14 is350 fsport and i keep hearing this noise when i accelerate to around 70-75 mph and let off the gas it kinda sounds like im driving on an unpaved road but only from the front left side.There may be a very tiny vibration in the steering wheel but nothing that would be concerining. Has anyone else heard this noise? Is it a common lexus design flaw? At first, I thought it was the crappy oem tires so I bought 4 new contintental dws06 and had the tire place check the rims to make sure none of them were bent. The noise is slightly better but still exists. I also changed the rotors and brake pads and the noise still persists. The noise it self is driving me absolutely crazy! For a new car it should not have this noise. Also, i get a squeak noise coming from the front left when i go over a speed bump im not sure if that has something to do with it. Im still covered under warranty for another 15 months /40,000 miles
Old 03-22-17, 08:03 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

It is not a common Lexus design flaw. I am on my second IS and neither had/has this issue. Was the car previously involved in a collision? Two noises from the left side only suggest that there is an issue due to wear or poor repair work.
Old 03-22-17, 08:11 AM
r2digital
Rookie

car fax is clean, no gaps in the fenders or bumpers or trunk etc.. doesn't seem like it was in any sort of accident . although the front left car had a different tire on then the rest when i bought it that's why i thought maybe i had a bent rim. but ill
have to take it into lexus and see what they say
Old 03-22-17, 09:24 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by r2digital
car fax is clean, no gaps in the fenders or bumpers or trunk etc.. doesn't seem like it was in any sort of accident . although the front left car had a different tire on then the rest when i bought it that's why i thought maybe i had a bent rim. but ill
have to take it into lexus and see what they say
I have exactly same problem , I also have rpm meter dipping . There many threads mentioned this.
Old 04-03-17, 06:44 PM
r2digital
Rookie

so i kind of narrowed down how to make the noise happen. Always when driving 75-80 mph straight on the highway but becomes more noticeable if im turning the wheel to the right at speeds above 50. However, turning the wheel to the left makes the noise completely dissapear. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 04-04-17, 06:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

so i kind of narrowed down how to make the noise happen. Always when driving 75-80 mph straight on the highway but becomes more noticeable if im turning the wheel to the right at speeds above 50. However, turning the wheel to the left makes the noise completely dissapear. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
What you describe is the usual symptoms when a wheel bearing is gone.
When you turn to the right is puts the load of the vehicle on the left side bearings, when you turn to the left, the opposite happens.

Replace the left wheel bearing and you should be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
r2digital (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 07:49 AM
r2digital
Rookie

that defintely makes sense! so my next question is what would cause premature wear of a wheel bearing with a car thatonly has 26000 miles on it? also, do you think this is something lexus would cover under warranty?
Old 04-04-17, 09:15 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, they will cover it unless it was caused by an accident like hitting a curb. Have the dealer inspect it.
Old 04-04-17, 09:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

that defintely makes sense! so my next question is what would cause premature wear of a wheel bearing with a car thatonly has 26000 miles on it? also, do you think this is something lexus would cover under warranty?
The wheel bearing should be covered by the Powertrain warranty.
Typical causes of wheel bearing failure outside of an accident are hitting a curb or several really bad potholes.
It just takes one good hit the right way to mark one of the steel ***** inside the bearing and the noise you are experiencing will occur.
Sometimes it may take several weeks after the impact before the noise develops and the bearing will likely not even have any play in it.
r2digital (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 10:25 AM
r2digital
Rookie

this all makes perfect sense now. i recently
found out the upper headlight retaining tab on the driver side was busted along with there being a different tire on the same side . after reading what you just wrote it would be very likely that a large pothole was hit and caused enough damage to the original driver side tire, headlamp, and wheel bearing
Old 04-04-17, 10:36 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The headlight mounting tab was also redesigned after the 14' to be thicker.
A member here had it replaced by Lexus under warranty. You should ask your dealer about it.
Old 04-04-17, 10:47 AM
r2digital
Rookie

after doing a lot of research, i found that they make a replacement upper headlight retainer. here is the part number for the driver side head lamp. it uses two screw holes in the factory headlamp to mount and you grind down the old broken one that is on the headlight to make the new bracket fit
Old 04-07-17, 05:53 PM
r2digital
Rookie

just want to give a heads up and say it was the driver wheel bearing. i replaced it from start to finish in about 1.5 hours. the noise is now gone. thank you everyone for your help!
Old 04-07-17, 05:56 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

just want to give a heads up and say it was the driver wheel bearing. i replaced it from start to finish in about 1.5 hours. the noise is now gone. thank you everyone for your help!
Team CL effort!
r2digital (04-08-17)
Old 04-08-17, 06:22 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

So your issue was the wheel bearing ? congrat to you, mine was the damage front and rear tires, after long watch picked up the car i finally took a very careful inspect and found front tires punctured and patched, rear tires had a big crack in the middle, the thing is, they still have a lot of tread, new tires on noise gone except the Yokohama road's noise.

Quick Reply: 2014 is350 f sport excessive road noise at 70-75mph from front driver side only?