IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navi Update to V15A8910 skip the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 03:56 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
No need to open the file - it is a proprietary binary file so you shouldn't be able to open it.

You are only handling the file, downloading it and putting it on your drive - you don't care what is inside, your car
will read and understand its content.
Ahhhhh. And what kind of USB do I need?
Old 03-21-17, 08:18 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Why are people suddenly updating their system? The update has been available for 2 years, I updated mine back then. There was even a separate thread about it.
Old 03-21-17, 08:21 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Why are people suddenly updating their system? The update has been available for 2 years, I updated mine back then. There was even a separate thread about it.
Infotainment after update... Still sucks lol
Old 03-21-17, 10:13 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Why are people suddenly updating their system?
For the simple reason to bring their software to the latest version.
My 2016 IS350 (purchased in June 2016) did NOT have this revision so I question your assertion it was already available then.
Old 03-21-17, 10:32 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the radio number of the US units? If the radio is the same than international spec units can use it also.
Old 03-21-17, 04:05 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
at least 2GB free of space in any Flash drive or SDcard with adapter , the file only 89MB or 98MB if i don't forget, Fat32 as they stated above, just download it and plug in your car's USB don't open or do anything, get on your Nav setting and go to setting and click update, wait till it finish dont turn off your car before it completely done.

updated for 2 days now no Nav reboot or restart yet, will see ...
Old 03-21-17, 11:53 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I got this one and it worked, it was already formatted Fat32 so no formatting necessary:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-8gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/9226777.p?skuId=9226777&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=393a3519-908b-4b75-9c47-f5128031af0f&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg200236&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-16-20)
Old 03-23-17, 11:45 AM
diggler93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be a stupid question but is this only valid for US models? I'm in Canada.
Old 03-23-17, 02:54 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by diggler93
Thats why I asked about the radio in this thread, but it seems no one knows. If the radio version is the same than the update can be used.
Old 03-23-17, 03:08 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by diggler93
Originally Posted by AMNss
Thats why I asked about the radio in this thread, but it seems no one knows. If the radio version is the same than the update can be used.
Im from Toronto Canada and downloaded US version they are the same file, either Lexus.ca or Lexus.com all the same. Lexus America Canada is North America.
Old 03-23-17, 10:10 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

West coast Canada here. The update has been a huge help. It no longer shows me driving on the grass. Going to wait awhile longer to see if it helps with screen locking up.

Thanks OP!
Old 03-24-17, 02:09 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cFoo
West coast Canada here. The update has been a huge help. It no longer shows me driving on the grass. Going to wait awhile longer to see if it helps with screen locking up.
Hmmm...I am reading a list of fixes and there is nothing there to suggest they did anything in the area of improved positional accuracy. I noticed that too before many times - if I do something contrary to what navigation tells me (for example I stay on freeway rather than taking an exit I was supposed to take) it takes Lexus long time to realize that I am still on freeway. My Garmin doesn't have this problem, it is much more nimble in terms of positional accuracy. I don't want to bad mouth Lexus because I don't think its navigation is as bad as some here want us to believe (like "unusable") but clearly its algorithms are not at the top of the game.
Old 03-24-17, 09:16 PM
cFoo
Driver

Hmmm...I am reading a list of fixes and there is nothing there to suggest they did anything in the area of improved positional accuracy. I noticed that too before many times - if I do something contrary to what navigation tells me (for example I stay on freeway rather than taking an exit I was supposed to take) it takes Lexus long time to realize that I am still on freeway. My Garmin doesn't have this problem, it is much more nimble in terms of positional accuracy. I don't want to bad mouth Lexus because I don't think its navigation is as bad as some here want us to believe (like "unusable") but clearly its algorithms are not at the top of the game.
it's not so much of algorithm. It's probably poor hardware. Slow CPU not able to keep up with dead reckoning and cheap gps sensors not able to triangulate the car's position. Toyota source their map data from Garmin so the only variable here is the hardware.

I spoke too soon. It rained today and sure enough I'm driving on the grass again. I don't even bother to use the GPS. Sometime I have it up just for fun. Between the awkwardness of the interface to enter an address and slow to calculate route, I can be 2-3 blocks driving using my iPhone and google map.
Old 03-24-17, 10:25 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cFoo
Toyota source their map data from Garmin
Just for the record - Garmin doesn't provide maps to anybody, they have to purchase them themselves (Garmin is not a map/database company),
Garmin gets it's data from HERE which is a major map/database supplier, there is a good chance Toyota/Lexus also get their maps from them.
Old 03-25-17, 07:04 AM
cFoo
Driver

Just for the record - Garmin doesn't provide maps to anybody, they have to purchase them themselves (Garmin is not a map/database company),
Garmin gets it's data from HERE which is a major map/database supplier, there is a good chance Toyota/Lexus also get their maps from them.
Cool! New knowledge. Thanks for the correction

Quick Reply: Navi Update to V15A8910 skip the dealer