IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Reverse camera

Old 04-07-17, 02:01 AM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you say trim and glue into place......don't bother would be so cheesy.
just have to make a template like we did and cut, then it screws in the the lic plate Assy's on each side.

if you don't want to cut the trunk lid, do what the other guy said aftermarket.

$600.00 for the camera is ridiculous I called north west Lexus and it was 445.00

keep looking, I found one with in a day
Old 04-07-17, 10:03 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexie1
Lucky to have the connector.

the wreckers part look up system cross references the one that can be used for multiple vehicle, mine was from a 350, cause I searched a 2106 200 and a 2016 300 and got the same camera at the same wreckers . There are a few out there, I paid 165.00, from the dealer is 445.00 CAD.
i had no trouble looking up parts online for the camera and the trunk trim as well and they were the same part numbers when I called the dealer. The wreckers had actually bought that camera to have as a sell part. It took some work and patience but I would much rather have it this way, looks factory and works great.
I did a quick look... Is this the connector?! In the back?! 2014 IS350 AWD Fsport (Canadian)
Old 04-07-17, 01:58 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Yep...that's it all the way back there. Al most dead center of the photo.
Old 04-07-17, 02:18 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
brendanf, what camera did you end up using?
I ended up purchasing a Rydeen DUO Universal Backup camera. It looks a lot like the stock one, its a bit bulkier but not bad.

I don't have the connector so I purchased the Beat Sonic front camera selector kit which I used to plug in my camera. I sacrificed being able to use the A/V input that is in the storage bin, but for me I would never use it anyway, and I do plan on adding a second camera to the front so I don't damage my lip when parking nose in.

If you HAVE the connector but don't want to drop money on the factory camera you can wire the aftermarket camera like this one into the connector and save running cables. It is just an NTSC video signal and power. You just need the pinout of the connector. The mounting was very easy and only required a 1/4" hole to be drilled through the plastic trim panel & the trunk.

The Rydeen camera wasn't expensive, lots of them on ebay, and if you check the chinese sites like dhgate or Aliexpress you will find the no-name versions of it there for even cheaper.

Let me know if you have more questions
Attached Thumbnails Reverse camera-img_1781.jpg   Reverse camera-img_1782.jpg  
Old 04-07-17, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexie1
Did you say trim and glue into place......don't bother would be so cheesy.
just have to make a template like we did and cut, then it screws in the the lic plate Assy's on each side.

if you don't want to cut the trunk lid, do what the other guy said aftermarket.

$600.00 for the camera is ridiculous I called north west Lexus and it was 445.00

keep looking, I found one with in a day
I was thinking that if the camera from another Lexus model was from the same supplier and the identical camera expect for the plastic flange that mounts to the trunk lid (same supplier part number, different Toyota part number... I've been googling pics of various oem cameras online), I'd make the camera fit and glue it in a new trunk panel piece with the camera cutout, where you can't tell at all unless you took it apart. There's a lot of oem Lexus cameras off other models for cheap, like $100 bucks. $445 CDN isn't bad. The $400USD on ebay for the used one posted was a little scary, especially when you see aftermarket ones for $40 shipped from China. But yeah, I'd prefer to go with OEM or original or have nothing. I'm on the hunt for a used on now, thanks!

brendonf, for that you paid that looks really good an OEM. It looks better than cutting a square on the trim panel for short money and less work because all you need to do is drill holes.

sasnuke, yeah the offset camera was something I was thinking about.

Clubluser, what is the build date of your '14? Mine is 07/13. I am wondering if '15s don't have plug, at least for the Canadian Market.
Old 04-08-17, 10:34 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 387
I was thinking that if the camera from another Lexus model was from the same supplier and the identical camera expect for the plastic flange that mounts to the trunk lid (same supplier part number, different Toyota part number... I've been googling pics of various oem cameras online), I'd make the camera fit and glue it in a new trunk panel piece with the camera cutout, where you can't tell at all unless you took it apart. There's a lot of oem Lexus cameras off other models for cheap, like $100 bucks. $445 CDN isn't bad. The $400USD on ebay for the used one posted was a little scary, especially when you see aftermarket ones for $40 shipped from China. But yeah, I'd prefer to go with OEM or original or have nothing. I'm on the hunt for a used on now, thanks!

brendonf, for that you paid that looks really good an OEM. It looks better than cutting a square on the trim panel for short money and less work because all you need to do is drill holes.

sasnuke, yeah the offset camera was something I was thinking about.

Clubluser, what is the build date of your '14? Mine is 07/13. I am wondering if '15s don't have plug, at least for the Canadian Market.
07/13 is my build date as well. That Rydeen DUO Universal Backup camera looks like a good choice to just splice into the factory harness, seriously thinking about it.
Old 04-08-17, 02:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

If retrofitting the IS built-in reverse cam doesn't work, just try fitting this dashcam on the rear windscreen as both a dash cam, and a reversing camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SGZC12RC-Performance-Supercapacitor/dp/B00TERYK5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491685192&sr=8-1&keywords=street+guardian+sgzc12rc

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-08-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-08-17, 02:25 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

2015 Canadian IS350 F-Sport Series 1 (no navigation) and I have the connector (to my pleasure). Build date is 08/14.
Old 04-08-17, 04:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I tried to retrofit reverse auto dipping wing mirrors onto my wife's new IS200t, and I gave up.

Keep trying with the reversing camera, but if it doesn't work, just buy a dashcam with reversing facility.
Old 04-09-17, 04:32 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

For those who want to go the OEM route - here are the part numbers you need. It's not cheap, but I did not want to take the risk with a used or aftermarket, so my order is placed. All parts ~$660 through mylparts.com with Club Lexus discount (CL5)

86790-53031 Camera
82181-53040 Wire Harness (connects the camera to the existing plug in trunk - camera does not come with it)
76801-53090-XX. Trim with hole cutout for camera - "XX" is your paint code
Old 04-23-17, 04:49 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stbiss
For those who want to go the OEM route - here are the part numbers you need. It's not cheap, but I did not want to take the risk with a used or aftermarket, so my order is placed. All parts ~$660 through mylparts.com with Club Lexus discount (CL5)
Yikes. Backup camera was a $300 option.
Old 05-03-17, 08:56 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Did a quick test, it worked...
Drilled holes, currently waiting for primer to dry.

Don't mind the plush toys... (Girlfriend's addition) ha.
tips:
- Remove trim piece (a little hard to do..) and drill hole first
- Mark hole on trunk (it does not have to line up perfectly as - - it's only a wire pass through)
- Bought the camera from Amazon from "Car Rover"
- Took apart camera and put silicone around edges and screw holes for more weather proofing.
- I can post wiring diagram if anyone wants it.

Adding pictures of final product.

Note bottom of heat gun and relation to vehicle in the next picture

Pretty happy with the results! Hopefully the camera is of good enough quality to survive the seasons.

Last edited by ClubLUser; 05-03-17 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dilmatik (08-22-17)
Old 05-03-17, 01:53 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Looks like a nice clean install man....very OEM!
Old 05-03-17, 03:03 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Nicely done!

So did you use the Rydeen camera as well?
Old 05-03-17, 04:05 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brendanf
Nicely done!

So did you use the Rydeen camera as well?
Something very similar, Car Rover from
Amazon Amazon
I just like Amazon Customer service/ i have Amazon Prime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse camera