IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

driving with a broken O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 07:42 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default driving with a broken O2 sensor

I was at discount getting my summer set up on when they bent my o2 sensor getting it on the lift... apparently this part is on back order from Lexus for the next 20 days... Is it fine to drive my car like this? i do have a check engine light. I am really sick of discount tire its literally something every time i go.. They are trying to make me take to a mom and pop shop to get worked on? can i request Lexus no matter what i really dont trust this place... Thanks as always Club Lexus
Old 02-14-17, 10:38 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

turns out its a backorder part for the next 2 weeks.. is it fine to drive?
Old 02-15-17, 06:57 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had mine replaced last month after the Rust spray leaked into the seals and ruined it. It's fine to drive for short period as long as you get ir replaced asap. It becomes a problem if you leave them for a long period of time, it can affect, performance as well as eventually ruin your catalytic converter and who knows what else (i'm not a mechanic).
Old 02-15-17, 08:08 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell them if the mom&pop shop has the factory part you would be happy to have your Lexus dealer install it.
That'll shut them up.
Old 02-16-17, 06:07 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nvbirdman
Tell them if the mom&pop shop has the factory part you would be happy to have your Lexus dealer install it.
That'll shut them up.
well this is turning out to be a mess. i told the tire shop i want to take it to Lexus hes now saying he will have to get their insurance involved, and most likely they will say its not their fault!!?? they admitted to me right there! So i wont take it to the shop, they want they wont fix it!! this is really irritating. Now im stuck driving on this thing not knowing what damage its doing it sucks! im so pissed off.
Old 02-16-17, 06:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I usually let my lawyer give them a quick call and they become way more helpful
Old 02-17-17, 01:08 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

which 02 sensor is it? if it's the secondary (after cat) then it's only job is to tell the ECU if the cat is functioning properly, so driving without it is perfectly fine.
Old 02-17-17, 01:28 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
well this is turning out to be a mess. i told the tire shop i want to take it to Lexus hes now saying he will have to get their insurance involved, and most likely they will say its not their fault!!?? they admitted to me right there! So i wont take it to the shop, they want they wont fix it!! this is really irritating. Now im stuck driving on this thing not knowing what damage its doing it sucks! im so pissed off.
Contact Discount Tire corporate with your experience.
Old 02-17-17, 01:44 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Discount tire corp should straighten this out. Getting a lawyer involved at this point is probably pointless as it will cost you more in legal fees than to fix an O2 sensor (unless you're doing it for the pride).
Old 02-20-17, 06:28 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

well i went to the place they suggested and here is the new damage... this has been nothing but headaches this is so ridiculous i will be contacting discount tires main office now im sick of this. i advise anyone to stay away.
Old 02-20-17, 07:54 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

damn man I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. I would be so pissed. This is honestly why I spent a few extra dollars and bought a 3 ton jack, jack stands and all the tools necessary to change my setup from summer to winter and vice versa myself. Some of the people working in these tire shops do not care and are not typically the highest caliber of people. So if they damage your car, they don't even give a **** which pisses me off. Ive also had experience where the guy ended up stripping a lug on my old 3IS and I couldn't get the wheel off, he didn't put the lug on by hand first which is the BASICS!, just straight on with the impact gun. Almost destroyed my hub trying to get it off. Again so sorry to hear your problems man, hopefully corporate takes care of you
Old 02-20-17, 08:18 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shivad87
damn man I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. I would be so pissed. This is honestly why I spent a few extra dollars and bought a 3 ton jack, jack stands and all the tools necessary to change my setup from summer to winter and vice versa myself. Some of the people working in these tire shops do not care and are not typically the highest caliber of people. So if they damage your car, they don't even give a **** which pisses me off. Ive also had experience where the guy ended up stripping a lug on my old 3IS and I couldn't get the wheel off, he didn't put the lug on by hand first which is the BASICS!, just straight on with the impact gun. Almost destroyed my hub trying to get it off. Again so sorry to hear your problems man, hopefully corporate takes care of you
Thanks man hope they make right as well. im going to buy the stuff you said as well and just start doing it myself. The worst part is when they tell you, that you brought your car like that. Which is some BS. We will see what discount says, as well as this shop, who do not seem to want to admit it was them... just want my car back to normal at this point.
Old 02-20-17, 08:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

There is about a $50-100 difference in me getting PSS from my dealer vs Discount Tires. Dealer is so worth it and gives me a ton of piece of mind.
Old 02-20-17, 08:59 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These places could care less about your car... And I'm still paranoid about leaving it at the dealer lol
Old 02-20-17, 09:16 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The best solutions are to work on your car yourself (so you know the quality of work) or find an independent mechanic that you can absolutely trust. Dealers can be just as bad as "chain" tire stores and mechanics. It's the small independent shop owners that actually care about the work they do and their reputation. Find a good one from local recommendations or YELP and go from there.

An 02 sensor is so simple, a single wrench is enough to do the entire job. I can't tell you how many people have gone to dealers or corner lube shops and had their oil drain bolts fall out because the tech didn't tighten it....or the countless tire shows that have cross threaded a wheel stud....or the endless horror stories from stealerships who simply don't care about the customer's vehicle and end up ruining them or giving them the run around. Pays to learn how to work on your car so you only have to take your car to a professional for the serious stuff.