IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Awful smell when max acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 02:45 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Awful smell when max acceleration?

I have a 15' is350 f sport with the takeda intake and it smells really bad when I mash the gas.

Anyone have this happen?

what causes it?
Old 02-09-17, 03:00 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

like rotten eggs? it's the cats clearing themselves out from the carbon build up, i believe. hence, mash the gas more often.
Old 02-09-17, 04:08 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cremaster
like rotten eggs? it's the cats clearing themselves out from the carbon build up, i believe. hence, mash the gas more often.
yep.. thank you.
Old 02-09-17, 06:34 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
yep.. thank you.

Rotten Eggs

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced. Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged. Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced. Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator. You can easily deal with the fuel pressure regulator by replacing the fuel filter.

car-exhaust-smell-understanding-where-the-problem-lies
Old 02-09-17, 08:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Wow, what a coincidence. I don't drive my car near redline often, but I decided to be a hooligan tonight and ran around a bit. I noticed an odd smell maybe 30 seconds after accelerating - was going to chalk it up to something outside, but I doubt it was a coincidence. Would this happen on a car with as low as 3700 miles?
Old 03-02-17, 10:54 PM
gmancash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 15' is350 f sport with the takeda intake and it smells really bad when I mash the gas.

Anyone have this happen?

what causes it?
not sure but I changed my oil using Penzoil Ultra plus Technology and it stopped the smell. Also it made my car perform way smoother and responsive . They claim it's 99.5% pure oil compared to the purity of others which is around 70-85%
Old 03-02-17, 10:57 PM
gmancash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have this happen?

what causes it?
not sure but I changed my oil using Penzoil Ultra plus Technology and it stopped the smell. Also it made my car perform way smoother and responsive . They claim it's 99.5% pure oil compared to the purity of other oils which is around 70-85%
Old 03-03-17, 07:37 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary

Rotten Eggs

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced. Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged. Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced. Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator. You can easily deal with the fuel pressure regulator by replacing the fuel filter.

Every 4cyl Engine older model cars smells like that whenever they tries to show off in front of my IS350 on Freeway/highway, this is a false answer to the smell that whenever you go WOT floored the gas, broken Cat converter in some States if under 70k miles dealer will replace it under warranty BY LAW, Cat Converter does not break down like that. I have Broken Cat Converter on my Toyota Solara code P0420 and Code P0171, System too lean and Cat+Exhaust system, before no smell only whenever i go WOT, now smell all the time even car in PARK but it comes and goes when driving. What i'm trying to tell is if Cat Converter goes bad the smell will be there all the time.

The person up there was right, IT'S THE CARBON BURNS UP FROM THE ENGINE, If you know about Italian Tune for German cars.
Old 03-03-17, 07:45 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gmancash
not sure but I changed my oil using Penzoil Ultra plus Technology and it stopped the smell. Also it made my car perform way smoother and responsive . They claim it's 99.5% pure oil compared to the purity of other oils which is around 70-85%
Yep oil does help with that too, expensive brand Synthetic oil like Mobil 1 , Amsoil, Castrol, Penzoil, i've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic only for almost 20 years. I know a lot of guys driving Luxury cars but change cheap engine oil like 20$ per 5 litres in mechanic shop and whenever their car break down they go blame to the car maker, i remember the Volkswagon and Audi 2009 model stated under the Hood "Use 10w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil only" .
Old 03-05-17, 12:00 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude just go to an empty area without people and traffic and run the car hard like a drunken baboon. Redline it and drive it hard. Check the oil first and have fun. Sometimes a good cars likes to be rode hard and put away wet.
Old 04-15-17, 01:31 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

My buddy says do have lexus replace the cat bow that it's under warranty.

I should have an appointment by the 28th.

I will post updates. It's getting worse though.
Old 04-15-17, 04:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Do let us know what happens...I'm curious if Lexus will replace the cats...
Out of curiosity, what type/grade of fuel do you use? There is a possibility Lexus will also ask and recommend you change fuel stations/grade first.
Old 04-16-17, 07:47 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary

Rotten Eggs

Originally Posted by arentz07
Wow, what a coincidence. I don't drive my car near redline often, but I decided to be a hooligan tonight and ran around a bit. I noticed an odd smell maybe 30 seconds after accelerating - was going to chalk it up to something outside, but I doubt it was a coincidence. Would this happen on a car with as low as 3700 miles?
If this is the case with your car having so few miles then this will debunk the OP theory about the smell!
Old 04-16-17, 01:47 PM
pnoygil
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have this happen?

what causes it?

that smell means your car is running rich when you floor the gas. Toyota made it this way to protect the engine.
Old 04-16-17, 03:34 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's really bad (like mine was) and you've tried different brands of gas, you may be able to get the cat replaced under warranty. Ever since I got a new cat, I haven't smelled the rotten egg smell under hard acceleration.

Quick Reply: Awful smell when max acceleration?