IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Front Tires/Pads/Rotors needed After Only 15K Miles?? Pissed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 11:57 AM
StayTunedF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Front Tires/Pads/Rotors needed After Only 15K Miles?? Pissed!!

Been hearing a strange sound from my front end whenever I pull into a parking spot or driveway so I told the service guy about it yesterday when I dropped the car off for the 15K service. I also told him that the front tires were almost bald already after 15K miles on a RWD car and wanted to know how that was possible. He calls me today and tells me that the noise I'm hearing are the rotors and that they are at their service limit and needs to be changed along with new pads. He claims the lip of the rotors are rubbing, bear in mind the sound was somewhat of a faint rattle sound and wasn't squeaking or squeeling. My first luxury car and I can't believe these need to be changed already. The rear tires are about 70% and he's saying the most mileage he's seen out of the front tires are 24K miles. He claims that the car also needs an alignment and that "this is how these cars are".

They also quoted me $480 for brake/rotor job and $675 for new front tires mounted and balanced. I can do the work myself but has anyone been through this?

2015 IS250 F Sport

Last edited by StayTunedF; 01-30-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 11:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The rotors surprise me a bit but not the F Sport pads or the summer tires.

Last edited by JDR76; 01-30-17 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 12:26 PM
StayTunedF
Driver School Candidate

Yes I'm looking at pads and rotors right now. I'm really surprised by the tires, where is that sticker?
Old 01-30-17, 12:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The sticker was on my window when I took delivery of both my IS and my GS.

As you already stated, you can save a lot by doing the brakes yourself. As for tires, I would shop around a bit. There are some good recommendations on this site. I'm not a huge fan of the OEM tires and wouldn't want to replace with the same ones.
Old 01-30-17, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I think they put it in the window of the f sport models. Looks like it was on JDR76's car back in 14, I didn't see anything like that on the f sports when I bought back in 14, but I think there's probably been a lot of upset people having to replace their tires around this mileage not being fully aware at how fast the performance tires wear, that, in addition to the aggressive toe/camber/caster on these cars.
Actually my IS was not an F Sport.
Old 01-30-17, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
oh that's right, same tires on non-f sports... yeah, I didn't have anything like that I my IS, interesting... and I'm at 23k and my tires are still good at 7/32", so maybe more dependent on driving style than I thought.
I'm surprised. I figured they all had it.

I traded in my IS with just over 16k on it, and the tires were okay. They just barely made the criteria for a CPO.
Old 01-30-17, 12:52 PM
StayTunedF
Driver School Candidate

Yea I didn't see that sticker on mine when I picked it up. The cheapest I can find the OE tires for are $270 each so I'm looking at different brands but I really hate mixing brands though. I need a good brand brake pads that perform just as good as the F Sports but without the extreme brake dust. Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-17, 01:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The front tires are negative cambered for max grip while turning. You must take the corners hard.

if you buy the tires from a dealer, be ready to be ripped off. Take it to discount tire company, they have best prices and free flat repair. If you didn't leave the vehicle, do get oem again. They suck
Old 01-30-17, 01:24 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by StayTunedF
Been hearing a strange sound from my front end whenever I pull into a parking spot or driveway so I told the service guy about it yesterday when I dropped the car off for the 15K service. I also told him that the front tires were almost bald already after 15K miles on a RWD car and wanted to know how that was possible. He calls me today and tells me that the noise I'm hearing are the rotors and that they are at their service limit and needs to be changed along with new pads. He claims the lip of the rotors are rubbing, bear in mind the sound was somewhat of a faint rattle sound and wasn't squeaking or squeeling. My first luxury car and I can't believe these need to be changed already. The rear tires are about 70% and he's saying the most mileage he's seen out of the front tires are 24K miles. He claims that the car also needs an alignment and that "this is how these cars are".

They also quoted me $480 for brake/rotor job and $675 for new front tires mounted and balanced. I can do the work myself but has anyone been through this?

2015 IS250 F Sport
i understand your aggravation. pads and tires don't surprise me so much but rotors do. that's not a bad price though. did rotors and pads on my vette twice and it was $1500 a pop. tires were way more expensive too. we just drive sporty cars harder. i'll never change in that respect. imo i wouldn't really put the IS in the luxury catagory. bmw doesn't consider a 3 series luxury. that starts with the 5 series. IS is in the sports sedan catagory. good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-30-17, 01:24 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by StayTunedF
Yea I didn't see that sticker on mine when I picked it up. The cheapest I can find the OE tires for are $270 each so I'm looking at different brands but I really hate mixing brands though. I need a good brand brake pads that perform just as good as the F Sports but without the extreme brake dust. Any suggestions?
Had to replace front pads and rotors on my wife's previous IS350 at 8k miles. Tires were close to needing replaced at 14k miles when we turned the car in.

Akebono pads might be a good choice - I think some folks have had good luck with them.

ISs are great cars but are high maintenance in some ways.
Old 01-30-17, 07:13 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Just replaced all 4 tires on my 2014 FSport with 23k miles. Had sidewall damage on the left front, and the dealership could not find a Bridgestone replacement. Ended up going to Costco, and went with Michelin Pilots all season.
Old 01-30-17, 11:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Not many people know this...but wheel alignment and balancing is covered for the first 12 months/12K miles. So best to get it down at the 12 months/10K miles service.
Old 01-31-17, 01:27 AM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might be an anomaly but I'm at 36k miles on oem tires and brakes...AWD vechicle perhaps the tires hold up better than their summer tire counterparts.
Old 01-31-17, 08:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

I have heard the OEM Bridgestone Turanza tires on the AWD models are crap for treadwear (and performance). Just look at Tire Rack - it might be the worst-rated tire I have seen.

I also had the same tires on my previous car, a Camry. I did my 20k service early - had close to 19k miles on the car and had 6/32's, with what I would call somewhat spirited driving style. They were rated for 30k miles, but according to the dealership they were usually replaced in the 20's.
Old 01-31-17, 09:02 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got 26k out of my stock tires and 45k out of front pads. I also use a lot of engine braking and a lot of highway miles.

I got 4 tires and alignment for $1050. Michelin as3 at a local tire shop. They now have 28k miles and will need replacement soon. I'm a few millimeters above the wear bars. Not bad for all of the spirited driving that I do once I'm in the city :-)

Quick Reply: New Front Tires/Pads/Rotors needed After Only 15K Miles?? Pissed!!