IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

front bumper height adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:13 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default front bumper height adjustment?

How does one adjust the height of the front bumper (to close the gap between the bumper and front edge of the hood)?
My Audi had a threaded 'perch' that allowed such an adjustment on each side.
Does the bumper have to be removed to make this adjustment? Thanks.
Old 01-28-17, 07:45 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

can you take pictures of what you're referring to?
Old 01-29-17, 08:13 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is what I'm referring to. If you look at the gap between the bumper+grill and the front edge of the hood, it's larger than it should be. (I had some bumper/grill work done on the car and so I don't think they put it together with the tolerances of the original set-up... I could take it back but often find things like this just better to take care of myself depending on the degree of difficulty). Prior to the work, this gap was probably about 1/2 as big. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails front bumper height adjustment?-img_3134.jpg  
Old 01-30-17, 08:51 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Aside from putting shims under the top of the bumper, between the bumper and the rad frame or whatever. In every spot where a plug rivet is. I don't know what else you could do to adjust that gap. My 2014 doesn't seem to have a gap at all though.
Old 01-30-17, 08:55 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My gap is similar to yours. At first I thought something was wrong but after looking through a couple dozen of the photos posted by others on this forum... it appears as if some cars have different gaps than others. It doesn't make much sense but none of them look out of place or appear as if anything is wrong, just slightly different gaps. Considering the headlights mount independently of the front bumper cover, do you notice a larger than usual gap between them and the bumper as well? In my car the headlight gaps are normal it's just the gap under the hood that's larger than some.
Old 01-30-17, 09:12 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at page 292 of the "Pic of Your 3IS RIGHT NOW!" thread that is stickied towards the top of this forum. Post number 4378 from user Boomin shows their car has a gap almost identical to mine (you can noticeably see the rubber seal between the hood and bumper cover). But the post right after theirs (Post 4379 from CDUB03) almost shows an inconsistent gap where the passenger side is similarly larger but the driver's side is narrower. And yet if you look all the way back to Post 4297 by Multifuel... you see a narrower gap that I think you are referring to as how your car was before the bumper was pulled. Almost all of the pictures show a varying degree of the rubber from the rubber seal, although some more so than others. Perhaps the slightly inconsistent gap is why the rubber seal is there in the first place? If you figure it out further, let us know.

BTW... my apologies if there is an easier way to cite those posts from above, I recently joined this forum so I'm still learning the differences between it and the TDI forum I used when I owned my last car.