IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Noise when turning off car Lexus IS 200t sport 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 05:57 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turning off car Lexus IS 200t sport 2016

Hi everyone I'm here to see if someone is experiencing the same issue I have with my 2016 Lexus IS 200 t sport. When I turn off the car I hear this humming noise as soon As the car turns off. No check engine light has come on it's just the noise. I took it to two different lexus dealers and they told me it's normal. It's anyone else experiencing the same issue ?
Old 01-10-17, 06:35 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome, and I'd concur with your dealers, normal.

I sometimes hear a noise briefly after turning vehicle off. Possibly what you are hearing is your fuel evaporator running for a bit after the car is turned off.

More info here in the manual, page 8, second notice under FYI section.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM53D18U.pdf

Most people hear this noise long after vehicle has been turned off, but I suspect you're hearing the EVAP system run for a bit after turning the car off. Whether it runs right after turning the car off may depend on your fuel level at the time.

If you search for "noise" in thread titles within the 3rd Gen forum you'll see other threads discussing.

Happy driving.

Thank you for the reply. I guess my only concern is that it makes that humming noise. I. The Manuel it says that you might hear a noise 5 hours after, but mine does the humming noise right when I turn the car off.
Old 01-10-17, 07:50 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Correct, but it may also run briefly when turning the car off. How long does this noise last? If only for seconds or less than a minute I suspect it's either the EVAP system of some other electronics or AC system shutting down. Nothing to worry about.
The sound only last for a second. The weird part is that the cart doesn't do the sound all the time. Sometimes the sound it's only like air being realeased, and some other times it has like a clunk noise.
Old 01-11-17, 01:16 AM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

May depend on fuel level if EVAP, or AC settings if related to climate controls. Either way it is most likely normal.

Clunk description is new and not what I am describing. Maybe try to record a video of the sound so it can be better assessed.
it's more like a chirping sound right after turning car off
Old 01-11-17, 03:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I'd agree with having heard the humming/electronic sound for a few seconds, maybe as many as five seconds, when shutting the car down. I haven't heard anything else. I assumed it was the evaporator as well. I'd almost venture to say they are different sounds if you're hearing clunks.
Old 01-11-17, 04:39 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'd agree with having heard the humming/electronic sound for a few seconds, maybe as many as five seconds, when shutting the car down. I haven't heard anything else. I assumed it was the evaporator as well. I'd almost venture to say they are different sounds if you're hearing clunks.
I guess the noise it's best described as a bird chirping sound it only happens when turning off car. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I'm just concerned if it's not normal
Old 01-11-17, 07:17 PM
Sexus99
Rookie

Originally Posted by alec91
I guess the noise it's best described as a bird chirping sound it only happens when turning off car. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I'm just concerned if it's not normal
i have a 2015 is350 and I have that chirping noise on shutoff as well. It doesn't happen all the time as you stated. It almost sounds like a lawn mower shutting off and the carb gets its last breath. I brought it to the dealer twice and of course it doesn't make the sound for them. I had it start at 3,000 mile and I'm at 30,000 miles and I don't hear it as much or not at All anymore. I would think if it was something of concern, it would have popped it's ugly head by now. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 01-11-17, 07:30 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sexus99
i have a 2015 is350 and I have that chirping noise on shutoff as well. It doesn't happen all the time as you stated. It almost sounds like a lawn mower shutting off and the carb gets its last breath. I brought it to the dealer twice and of course it doesn't make the sound for them. I had it start at 3,000 mile and I'm at 30,000 miles and I don't hear it as much or not at All anymore. I would think if it was something of concern, it would have popped it's ugly head by now. I wouldn't worry about it
thank you for your reply I thought I was the only one with this problem. You already know how dealers are even if the noise is there, they can't hear it .. haha😂
Old 01-12-17, 06:07 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I sometimes hear a robot type noise when I turn off the car. Like something shutting off or like something is closing or something. Is the noise similar to that?

Word of the day: something.
Old 01-12-17, 08:38 PM
alec91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarlitoIS
I sometimes hear a robot type noise when I turn off the car. Like something shutting off or like something is closing or something. Is the noise similar to that?

Word of the day: something.
Mine is more like a clunk noise I would say
Old 01-13-17, 09:39 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Al Bundy: Tell me what song this is. It goes, "hmm hmm hiiiiiim."
Old 01-14-17, 09:16 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

16 200t - I also get a noise. Maybe 1-2 seconds - sounds electrical, or maybe like a very small electric motor is running. I actually never gave it a second thought. Seems like there should be a plausible explanation, although it seems harmless enough.

Quick Reply: Noise when turning off car Lexus IS 200t sport 2016