IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did I bought a CPO lemon?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 07:56 AM
Shamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I bought a CPO lemon?????

This is from loyal Lexus customer with extreme disappointment with my latest purchase and on going electrical\mechanical issues. Dealer attempted to resolve issues and Lexus of norther America calmed to be involved with the dealer to resolve these issues but issues haven't been resolved. Here are the issues that are still on going.

Here's a overview of my purchase.

Bought 2014 IS250 F Sport CPO in September 2016

Issues list

1. Noises from front breaks\rotors (dealer replaced the breaks and rotors) issues still continue after replacing parts.

2. Battery died (dealer replaced the battery) breaks noise issue still on going dealer had no input.

3. Navigation system crashed (dealer applied the patched and calmed issue should be resolved) break noise still on going and dealer had no input.

4. Navigation system crashed again (contacting dealer this Monday for another appointment).....

Did I just bought a lemon or what is this? Someone from Lexus headquarter needs to look at this **** and fix the goddamn issues. I'm getting tired of taking this car back to dealer every two to three weeks!!!
Old 01-09-17, 08:17 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

When did you pick up the car?

How many miles?

I am having an interesting CPO experience myself rite now. I purchased the car mid December, and 2014 IS350 AWD f-sport. Drove it for a week with no issues until I realized the odometer was not ticking up. It was frozen at 28050 which is the exact number listed on my purchased documentation. I made an appointment and I've been without the car since Dec 30th. I should have it back today they finished it up on Friday but i've been too busy to get into the dealer. They said Lexus was involved and they replaced the entire gauge cluster.

They claim the internal odometer never stopped ticking and the correct mileage on the car is now 33,800. I put about 1000/1200 on it for the week that I had it meaning they sold me the car with a false odometer reading. They offered a small cash refund in which i asked for an extra year of the CPO warranty instead and they obliged even though the cash offer was about $1000 less than the year of extended CPO warranty. My dealer has been extremely accommodating with a loaner, swapping an loaner, letting me come in and pick up on my own schedule so the experience hasn't left me angry but I am extremely annoyed I have been without my car for so long. I am also making sure they provide all the documentation to prove the odometer is now correct.

It's interesting Lexus is toting their 161-point inspection as the best in the business but they seem to be letting a lot go by during this "Certification" process.

I'm hoping my issues are long gone when i get the car back today and I hope they get your issues resolved also.
Old 01-09-17, 08:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Welcome to CL.

It sounds like you have two remaining issues - brake noise and nav system crashing.

For the brakes, I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. The brakes on my IS never made noise. Can you give us a little more? Does it happen only until they warm up or do they make the noise every time? What kind of noise is it? A sqeal? A grinding noise?

The 14 nav system really must have all the firmware updates installed to work best. Once I had the updates installed, mine stopped crashing.
Old 01-10-17, 06:42 AM
Shamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Welcome to CL.

It sounds like you have two remaining issues - brake noise and nav system crashing.

For the brakes, I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. The brakes on my IS never made noise. Can you give us a little more? Does it happen only until they warm up or do they make the noise every time? What kind of noise is it? A sqeal? A grinding noise?

The 14 nav system really must have all the firmware updates installed to work best. Once I had the updates installed, mine stopped crashing.
Hi there,

Well its a sqeal noise and it comes on every time I leave for work in the morning, during stop and go traffic and then leaving work in the evening. I park my car in the garage and noise is clearly noticeable. My coworker has IS350 F sport and his car does not make any noise at all. Even he has notice the noise coming out of my car. So far it has 33xxx.00 miles and that noise make me looks like i am driving old 90s car that making loud noises. Dealer did applied the most up to date patch last month (December) but again it did not fixed the issue. My screen blinks almost every day and the other day it was shutdown and rebooted itself while navigation was on. Lexus really need to look into these issues since car is still under factory warranty.
Old 01-10-17, 06:43 AM
Shamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ciggy
When did you pick up the car?

How many miles?

I am having an interesting CPO experience myself rite now. I purchased the car mid December, and 2014 IS350 AWD f-sport. Drove it for a week with no issues until I realized the odometer was not ticking up. It was frozen at 28050 which is the exact number listed on my purchased documentation. I made an appointment and I've been without the car since Dec 30th. I should have it back today they finished it up on Friday but i've been too busy to get into the dealer. They said Lexus was involved and they replaced the entire gauge cluster.

They claim the internal odometer never stopped ticking and the correct mileage on the car is now 33,800. I put about 1000/1200 on it for the week that I had it meaning they sold me the car with a false odometer reading. They offered a small cash refund in which i asked for an extra year of the CPO warranty instead and they obliged even though the cash offer was about $1000 less than the year of extended CPO warranty. My dealer has been extremely accommodating with a loaner, swapping an loaner, letting me come in and pick up on my own schedule so the experience hasn't left me angry but I am extremely annoyed I have been without my car for so long. I am also making sure they provide all the documentation to prove the odometer is now correct.

It's interesting Lexus is toting their 161-point inspection as the best in the business but they seem to be letting a lot go by during this "Certification" process.

I'm hoping my issues are long gone when i get the car back today and I hope they get your issues resolved also.

Ciggy,

listing false millage on the contract wouldn't break the contract at first place? If your car is CPO then you should have unlimited miles warranty until warranty expires. I would push for free maintenance until your CPO warranty expires. However, it would be your call money vs maintenance. Or have them take the car back and put you in a newer modal. My family owned lexus for decades and never had any major issues like mine having right now. Last Lexus we owned was 1998 ES300 died at 300k miles. Another one we still have 2003 ES300 running at 186k miles without any issues (knock on the wood). I personally came from German cars. last car i owned was BMW 335i and 528i. BMW replaced my 335i with 528i because 335i had so many engine and nav issues. They ended up replacing my car with a higher series. I do not know if Lexus does that with their customers who are having monthly base issues like myself right now.......Hope they fixed your car! let me know how it is running so far?

I bought my car in September 2016, miles were 29800.00 I believe but I did not had a cluster issue so far.
Old 01-10-17, 07:59 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamz
Hi there,

Well its a sqeal noise and it comes on every time I leave for work in the morning, during stop and go traffic and then leaving work in the evening. I park my car in the garage and noise is clearly noticeable. My coworker has IS350 F sport and his car does not make any noise at all. Even he has notice the noise coming out of my car. So far it has 33xxx.00 miles and that noise make me looks like i am driving old 90s car that making loud noises. Dealer did applied the most up to date patch last month (December) but again it did not fixed the issue. My screen blinks almost every day and the other day it was shutdown and rebooted itself while navigation was on. Lexus really need to look into these issues since car is still under factory warranty.
Mine does the same 2014 F-sport. I don't think it's a lemon, I've encountered all the problems you listed, dealer fixed most of it including battery replacement under warranty, but Navigation flakiness is just the nature of buggy system. I still have some random freezing with mine but I don't even pay attention anymore, I used Waze most the time now. My brakes squeak really loud after cold start just like yours
Old 01-10-17, 08:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Mine does the same 2014 F-sport. I don't think it's a lemon, I've encountered all the problems you listed, dealer fixed most of it including battery replacement under warranty, but Navigation flakiness is just the nature of buggy system. I still have some random freezing with mine but I don't even pay attention anymore, I used Waze most the time now. My brakes squeak really loud after cold start just like yours

It seems the 2014s have a lot of teething issues. My 2015 after 2 years of ownership have none of those issues and you just don't hear from many owners of 2015s on this forum that have any issues. Always wait till 2nd year of the model to buy
Old 01-10-17, 10:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It seems the 2014s have a lot of teething issues. My 2015 after 2 years of ownership have none of those issues and you just don't hear from many owners of 2015s on this forum that have any issues. Always wait till 2nd year of the model to buy
My 14 was rock solid for the 2+ years I had it, but the nav system on the 15s is MUCH better.
Old 01-10-17, 03:20 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 IS350 is solid, I did have some nav issues but after the patch it seems ok. Just seems a little slow on the turn by turn.