IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 06:57 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
Was a rough idle in the mornings really part of this?
I was at the dealer last week about this and they said it was cold engine mounts that vibrate till they heat up.

That is a pathetic excuse for a rough idle... What dealer fed you that line?

To the OP, to me it sounds like you got a lemon, if you have had this many problems with it. Your experience is definetly not the standard so I wouldn't shy away from Lexus just because of this, but I would seriously consider trading the car in and getting something else, even a replacement Lexus.
Old 12-29-16, 04:06 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've managed to get only 1 new injector in today. The other 2 are on order from another province. It's going to be a full week without a car. I think it's completely reasonable for me to start screaming tomorrow to get a loaner I can't go through the holidays weekend without a car.

Should I be worried about the other 3 injectors? Are they going to go as well or is this a 1 one?
Old 12-29-16, 04:18 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
They've managed to get only 1 new injector in today. The other 2 are on order from another province. It's going to be a full week without a car. I think it's completely reasonable for me to start screaming tomorrow to get a loaner I can't go through the holidays weekend without a car.
Since this is a warranty issue, they should at least rent you a car. I would definitely have a serious conversation with someone tomorrow.
Old 12-31-16, 07:11 AM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by Flashkid
What year is the car?
2014. I've always avoided first year cars but took a chance on this one because 1) It's a Lexus, and 2) much of the drive train from the 2GR-FSE is carried over. So much for that gamble
Old 12-31-16, 09:42 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are right to be concerned if the dealer plans to ONLY replace 3 failed fuel injectors. I'd be suspicious. You should have them identify which 3 injectors failed and have them record it on the final service invoice.
As it is unlikely that 3 fuel injectors fail at the same time unless there is a adjunct primary fault, such as faulty/failed ignition coil, faulty ignition wiring.....
For your future protection, if Lexus only replaces the 3 fuel injectors I suggest you write to Lexus Canada and state your concerns about the number of failed injectors and lack of a primary cause for the simultaneous failure and have their response in writing before the warranty period is over.

Lexus (dealer) should provide you with a loaner or rental for this warranty work. It's not acceptable to not have alternative transportation. At minimum make the request again directly with the service manager, communicate all your concerns about the level of service and diagnosis and give the manager the opportunity to respond and/or correct it. If they refuse to provide alternate transportation, you should write to Lexus Canada with a complaint and demand some form of credit.
Old 12-31-16, 09:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Check your warranty guide. If I recall correctly, it specifically states you are entitled to a loaner on any warranty repair taking 8 hours or more.
Old 12-31-16, 04:06 PM
cFoo
Driver

Finally got the car back. I'm just happy to have it back before work start on Tuesday. It's mute now, but I never got the loaner. I also asked and expressed my concerns about the other 3 injectors but the service advisor, understandably, said they can't replace it unless it fails. I guess it's just a matter of wait and see. Going to start financial planning to get rid of this thing before warranty is up. It's a pity because it's such a great car when it works.

If anyone is interested, this is the 6 codes they pulled and the work order to fix it.

Not sure how they label the cylinders on the 2GR-FSE, but it looks like one side of the engine failed. It can't possibly be a coincidence.
Old 01-01-17, 12:04 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Finally got the car back. I'm just happy to have it back before work start on Tuesday. It's mute now, but I never got the loaner. I also asked and expressed my concerns about the other 3 injectors but the service advisor, understandably, said they can't replace it unless it fails. I guess it's just a matter of wait and see. Going to start financial planning to get rid of this thing before warranty is up. It's a pity because it's such a great car when it works.

If anyone is interested, this is the 6 codes they pulled and the work order to fix it.

Not sure how they label the cylinders on the 2GR-FSE, but it looks like one side of the engine failed. It can't possibly be a coincidence.
It does say they switched the injectors to the other side of the engine and that side failed. I'm no mechanic but doesn't that isolate the problem to the injectors?
Old 01-03-17, 12:35 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cFoo I agree with the other person who advised you to talk to corporate. Its not uncommon at all for other Luxury car companies to reimburse the client for a lease or car payment if the car was in the shop for almost a month. Good luck.

Mike
Old 01-03-17, 01:37 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

cFoo, I'm also in the Vancouver area. Can you please state which dealership offered you the poor service level (you can PM if you like)? I have multiple friends with MY14 IS350 and want to get the word out to them. This is totally unacceptable as it is a warranty issue. Being left without a loaner for a day is difficult enough, can't imagine going a week without a car during this holiday season. Definitely talk to corporate and don't take no for an answer.

Best of luck.
Old 01-04-17, 08:59 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vuong05
cFoo, I'm also in the Vancouver area. Can you please state which dealership offered you the poor service level (you can PM if you like)? I have multiple friends with MY14 IS350 and want to get the word out to them. This is totally unacceptable as it is a warranty issue. Being left without a loaner for a day is difficult enough, can't imagine going a week without a car during this holiday season. Definitely talk to corporate and don't take no for an answer.

Best of luck.
Can you also share that info with me via PM if you like, I want make sure I can avoid problems in the future, thanks and good luck!!
Old 01-05-17, 06:27 PM
cFoo
Driver

I PMed both of you.

I kid you not. Barely a week of getting the car back, the engine light is back on. It didn't have the violent shaking or stalling so I was able to get home. Going to have to call multiple dealers tomorrow morning to see which one can offer a loaner.
Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD-img_1003.jpg
Old 01-05-17, 06:54 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I PMed both of you.

I kid you not. Barely a week of getting the car back, the engine light is back on. It didn't have the violent shaking or stalling so I was able to get home. Going to have to call multiple dealers tomorrow morning to see which one can offer a loaner.
Attachment 401860
Escalate this to Lexus Canada Corp, this is unacceptable, you have the right to get this fixed properly, shame on that people from that dealer.
Old 01-06-17, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Attachment 401860
That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I had a feeling the issue would return. The "fix" didn't make much sense to me. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.
Old 01-06-17, 08:33 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I PMed both of you.

Attachment 401860
like I said earlier, get rid of the car. You got a dud.

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD