IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How do you attach Front License Plate to Fsport model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 02:33 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlin89
It's a marginal difference, it won't be an issue.
Cool. Because for me this is absolutely the only way to put the plate, short of not putting in at all. The attention it might draw a cop just isn't worth it for me. I had no plates past 3yrs no issues. But every time I came across a cop on a 4 way stop etc, always wondered if thats an attention grabber.
Old 12-15-16, 03:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TinoPing
Cool. Because for me this is absolutely the only way to put the plate, short of not putting in at all. The attention it might draw a cop just isn't worth it for me. I had no plates past 3yrs no issues. But every time I came across a cop on a 4 way stop etc, always wondered if thats an attention grabber.
It depends on what things you have done to your car and how you drive. Say for instance you made your car such that it looks high profile, it will get attention pretty quick.

As I had mentioned before in the past, but not sure if it still stands. Under federal law which superses state law, if the foreign car did not come built with a factory plate mount, it is not required.

Last edited by Sango; 12-16-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 09:34 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I hope you're not insinuating that having a front plate gives you more confidence in "rolling the dice" when it comes to drinking and driving, because that's the wrong motivation for having a front plate. Please don't "roll the dice" with drinking and driving. If there's the slightest chance you might be too drunk to drive safely, please don't.
I agree. But perhaps I was not clear enough. Obeying the law in general ought to be paramount for all of us. Disobeying our nation’s laws may subject you to various drawbacks. Getting arrested for no front plate was just one of those possible hitches. The issue, to me, is not getting pulled over at all. Rather, it’s what kind of law committed citizen you are and what we pass on to our children. As an old man nearing 80 I’m sensitive to this.
Old 12-15-16, 09:57 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree with the "high profile" car thing. If you're car looks riced out, loud obnoxious exhaust, blacked out windows, and all suspicious looking; the cops will pull you over.

However, if you have a subtle car, and drive normal; then it shouldn't be an issue.

I have no front plate, and 35% tint all around for about a year now. No issues with the police. I also park and work next to a CHP.

So *knockonwood* hopefully they do not bother me. =]
Old 12-16-16, 09:15 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Yes, this is correct. On top of it which I did not quite make it clear which is also becoming a target from unsuspecting people.
Old 12-16-16, 11:16 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
There’s an interesting story I read on-line a few years ago, about a guy who got pulled over (in California) for no front plate. It turns out he had one drink too many coming home from a party and ended up in jail and his car impounded.

It’s up to you of course to roll those dice, but not me.
That guy deserved to be arrested and put in jail for drinking and driving. It puts so many people's lives in danger. I would never take that risk.

Driving without a front plate...kinda like driving a few MPH over the speed limit. Not harming anyone, so I'm willing to take that gamble of not mounting the front plate for the sake of aesthetics. Having the white plate on the front just ruins the design of the front, especially the grille.
Old 12-17-16, 12:21 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchar
That guy deserved to be arrested and put in jail for drinking and driving. It puts so many people's lives in danger. I would never take that risk.

Driving without a front plate...kinda like driving a few MPH over the speed limit. Not harming anyone, so I'm willing to take that gamble of not mounting the front plate for the sake of aesthetics. Having the white plate on the front just ruins the design of the front, especially the grille.
Not to be argumentative, but there can be some harm. Front plates allow law enforcement the extra view of car plates not only from the rear, but to see plates on oncoming traffic in opposing lanes. This can be useful in spotting kidnappers, fleeing bank robbers, etc. Now I know you’re not such a person, but that is why many states require them.

I remember seeing a Cops episode on TV where the crooks pulled into a liquor store parking area and a surveillance camera videoed the front plate. The driver was arrested with the loot a short time later.
Old 12-18-16, 04:31 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

if you dont want to mount the plate, you could always use the electric show and go license plate thing. the license plate stays under the car unless you deploy it when theres cop cars around
Old 12-18-16, 08:02 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy this....no holes to be drilled....problem solved

http://www.grimmspeed.com/license-pl...s-250-350-isf/