IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My First Fiberglass Sub-woofer Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 10:24 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My First Fiberglass Sub-woofer Box

I have not been the most active member in CL in the past few years... In my 07 IS I did a 10" JL W7 in a ported box
(https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...spec-pics.html)
... It was too much bass, not as enjoyable. This time I decided to scale back to a 10" JL W6 in a sealed box but I still need my trunk space so I decided to go Fiberglass: Below are a few pictures along the way..

Fiberglass Prep

After 2 layers of glass has dried its ready to be removed.

put it back in the car and draw the shape you want it to be cut.

Cut with tool of choice... I used an angle grinder.

Hot Glue your speaker Ring, It will be reinforced with fiberglass in the near future.

Cover the front of the box with felt, hot glue on the back of the fiber. Again it will be reinforced with fiberglass. IMPORTANT MAKE SURE IT FITS AND THE TRUNK CLOSES.

Test fit after the resin dries if it doesn't fit or hits the trunk latch.... start over.

ADD ABOUT 6 layers of fiberglass, I found this nice netting that is made for fiberglass resin so I alternated between the traditional fiberglass sheets and the new fiber-netting.
According to JL Website I need 15.57 L of volume, with the packing peanut method I ended up with about 15 L I will add poly fill to make up the 1/2 liter I shorted the sub.

Carpet the box with carpet of your choice. I used Loctite spray glue and it took some time to get it right with all of the curves.

Add a speaker terminal, Luckily I had the JL box that was made for the sub so just borrowed the terminal from that.

Add the sub. I also added the grill for protection.

Final resting place. The carpet was much darker in the store.

Quite a bit of bump for the minimal space.

Again according to JL Spec I am 1/2 a L short of internal volume, I added poly fill and honestly the sub sounds great, much more pop then when I had the ported W7.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, this was a learning experience for me and kind of fun took about 2 weeks as it is not a fast process.
I am using the new JL RD 500/1 Amp and couldn't be happier with it, all wires/amp is hidden under the box. I will do a quick write up in a few days if anyone is interested.
Old 10-13-16, 05:57 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice and clean. Good work
Old 10-13-16, 11:16 AM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow looks great!!! thanks for posting. How did you secure the box to the car? Can you show how you also mounted the amp?
Old 10-13-16, 11:16 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dam that look awesome. Remind me when I did one on my Matrix, it's suck and time consuming but worth the effort.
Old 10-13-16, 03:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Please make me one.
Old 10-13-16, 06:43 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

beautiful. I retired from the high powered car audio, but seeing this makes me wanna make a comeback out of retirement.
Old 10-14-16, 11:06 AM
sgvlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DerekGordo
Wow looks great!!! thanks for posting. How did you secure the box to the car? Can you show how you also mounted the amp?
+1 id like to know as well
Old 10-14-16, 09:10 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

So I designed the box so that I could still use the factory hooks for the cargo net etc. It just so happens they hold the box super tight, It is not going anywhere we will see how well it fits with the cargo mat once I put it back in.
- I will show my amps location and where I hooked the wires to in a few days, I am waiting for the JL bass control **** to come, should be early next week. I will do a separate write up as I have had a few questions while hooking up the ground and remote wire.
Old 10-14-16, 09:55 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Nice work. I wonder why you decided on driver side quarter panel instead of passenger side? I also did a fiberglass enclosure but on the passenger side because I wanted the trunk mat to be usable instead of enclosure sitting on top of it. There is nice cutout on the trunk mat on passenger side.

You should've also probably with for straight black carpet to cover it to match the stock black trunk liner better
Old 10-18-16, 09:18 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

It was a tough decision to use the drivers side, but ultimately there were two reasons.
1. There was a slot for my first aid kit on the passenger side.
2. There is a carpet cut out where I could run my speaker wire right to the box.

It ended up working fine with the trunk mat, and I do agree I wish I would have used a darker material to cover the box.
Still fits great with trunk mat.

Perfect speaker wire cut out

I will do a quick amp and wire thread separately to answer the other questions above.
Old 10-18-16, 09:27 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

looks great. I miss the smell of firberglass resin
Keep up the good work
lol