IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 04:10 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
theyre probably Mini h1 projectors or those black ones... i forgot the name... Blazers?
Just decided to look at my email history with TRS. They used the Morimoto Matchbox projectors. Originally it they were going to use the Morimoto Mini H1.
Old 10-05-16, 09:04 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

E46CT, have you evaluated other interior LED's? I'm looking to upgrade my RX and IS interior lighting before I have to drive in the dark all the time this fall and winter. I'm not sure what I want as far as color temperature, but I know I don't want anything in the 6000 range. in fact i think i'd rather have my lights at around 4500-5k and not ultra bright either. shopping for LED's are tough. everyone has a different perception of what they think is "good" and it's tough to decide. I'm looking at the superbrightleds .com website and at least they have lumen ratings on their bulbs. Now the question is, what are the stock lumens so i have some type of reference, lol

Like you, I want my automotive lighting done the RIGHT way and not the rice way!

Last edited by evident; 10-05-16 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 10:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

I'm pretty picky and so far the ones I have used here are the best I've found. One thing I can't stand is dim blue LEDs. All the ones I linked look really nice/high quality/well engineered/etc. The LED panels for the interior are a bit on the bright side but you can paint over some with a marker til you get the result you want.

The stock bulbs are just way too dim and yellow. Cars in the future will be exclusively LED. just wait. For now we'll have to replace them ourselves. I get compliments all the time on my interior LEDs. the interior looks really modern and bright as i walk up to the car.
Old 11-05-16, 03:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Good info and video. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-31-17, 09:02 AM
Jman0711
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but could one of you guys update the link for the turn signal LED's that you guys used. Seems like E46CT's original link to amazon has since had a change in merch. Wanting to do this soon, and just curious on how you guys are liking them/which ones you went for.

Thanks
Old 03-31-17, 02:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

These look to be the ones. Note the projector lens on the end:

http://amzn.to/2nrNSsc

Still going STRONG. Very bright. Love them.

I'll update the original thread. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 03-31-17, 02:20 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also another update, after months of use, I checked the rear tail lights for ANY signs of overheating, melting, etc.

NONE. All 100% perfect. No signs of heat whatsoever. Electrical tape looks 100% intact. No blistering, melting, insulation jacket on all wiring and the resistor itself looks perfect.

Still performing well.

The bulbs themselves I had installed in my last Prius and Lexus and still working and looking perfect over 1.5 years. All the equipment I listed particularly the turn signal bulbs are the highest quality ones offered. They feel and look very robust. Which is why I bought them =) The new ones I linked seem to be an improved design with more cooling capacity. Though even with mine I see no signs of overheating which is probably due to being used as turn signals and not constant on.
Old 03-31-17, 04:31 PM
Jman0711
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Also another update, after months of use, I checked the rear tail lights for ANY signs of overheating, melting, etc.

NONE. All 100% perfect. No signs of heat whatsoever. Electrical tape looks 100% intact. No blistering, melting, insulation jacket on all wiring and the resistor itself looks perfect.

Still performing well.

The bulbs themselves I had installed in my last Prius and Lexus and still working and looking perfect over 1.5 years. All the equipment I listed particularly the turn signal bulbs are the highest quality ones offered. They feel and look very robust. Which is why I bought them =) The new ones I linked seem to be an improved design with more cooling capacity. Though even with mine I see no signs of overheating which is probably due to being used as turn signals and not constant on.

Awesome! Thanks!, i will definitely vouch for the interior LED's you posted. I bought the exact same ones and love them. I absolutely hate the yellow stock bulbs, the new white LED's are perfect. No hint of blue or anything like that. Definitely love them. Also in case any one does need a bit more help changing any of them (all pretty simple) i saw the vid below once for a quick recap. I commented on the video with times for each light instructions as well. Thanks again!

Old 04-01-17, 04:53 PM
Mathieu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help.

wired as pictures described Front LED's are still causing hyperblink.

6ohm 50w resistors used on each side.

Any auggestions? USDM 2015 IS350 f sport.
Old 05-01-17, 02:21 PM
jlozan2
Driver School Candidate

Default Side mirror turn signals

Is there a way to change the turn signal lights on the side mirrors?
Old 05-01-17, 02:40 PM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jlozan2
Is there a way to change the turn signal lights on the side mirrors?
May I ask why would you want to do that? They are already LEDs.
Old 05-03-17, 05:41 AM
jlozan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Matroushi
May I ask why would you want to do that? They are already LEDs.

I didn't realize they were LEDs lol
Old 09-08-17, 12:12 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you have the link to purchase the hyper white front blinker bulbs as shown in your video? I would like to use those over the amber.

if i just wanted to do the LED fronts and leave the rears alone, i wouldn't need the resistors at all?
Old 09-08-17, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't find the exact ones, sometimes they change designs... but these look like they fit the bill. From the same seller: http://amzn.to/2gPhr4H

as far as resistors.. i think you can skip them if you just do the fronts or just do the backs.
Old 09-08-17, 11:23 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I actually had an instance where I was driving down the freeway in the carpool lane at night, and this Dodge Charger with blacked out tail lights at night decided he wanted to drift into my lane (over a double yellow no less). I had to slam on the brakes, I didn't notice his car until very late and I almost hit him.

In a situation where traffic suddenly slows down, the intensity of ones tail/brake lights can make a huge difference in reaction time. Remember the human has to perceive before reacting and if the lights are darked out, the chances of perception is delayed, if not entirely eliminated, particularly in poorly lit conditions.

Quick Reply: How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)