IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 12:27 PM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I used it to get LEDs in my front and rear turn signals. I did have to double up on the resistors, however, because I was getting fast blink with only one load resistor per side.
The following users liked this post:
Wams200T (09-13-17)
Old 09-08-17, 12:38 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by volthause
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I used it to get LEDs in my front and rear turn signals. I did have to double up on the resistors, however, because I was getting fast blink with only one load resistor per side.
Did you get the exact bulbs and resistors i posted? that's odd.
Old 09-08-17, 12:43 PM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Did you get the exact bulbs and resistors i posted? that's odd.
I believe I did.

bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGRGSH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGRGSH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

resistors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4UIJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4UIJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to confirm that one set of resistors worked great if just the rear or front bulbs were replaced with LED, but when both front and rear had LED replaced, it would go into hyperblink. I just double up on the resistors in the rear (wired in parallel) and it solved the issue.

Very helpful thread however!
Old 09-08-17, 12:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

thanks! yeah for my car, I did front and rear LED and needed just one resistor per side (circuit)
Old 09-09-17, 12:18 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I couldn't find the exact ones, sometimes they change designs... but these look like they fit the bill. From the same seller: http://amzn.to/2gPhr4H

as far as resistors.. i think you can skip them if you just do the fronts or just do the backs.
Thank you.

I was thinking maybe these?

Amazon Amazon

They look like the amber ones you linked to but just in hyper white.

Regarding the resistors, I thought you did them in the rear because they required them to blink properly?
Old 09-11-17, 08:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Those could work. Mine still work perfectly to this day. i check periodically. no burn marks, no melting, the wires are still perfect around the resistor. 1 year later.

and I use the turn signal a lot for safety. if i'm even thinking of changing lanes, i activate my turn signal before and during and even leave it on a bit after the change is finished. so it's got some good use.
Old 09-13-17, 01:14 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I still need to install the led puddle bulbs. I'm a little scared but Ill muster up the courage too do it.
Old 09-13-17, 03:38 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
I still need to install the led puddle bulbs. I'm a little scared but Ill muster up the courage too do it.
Don't be scared. It's a little nerve wracking first time but hopefully i'll inspire you. just pull apart stuff using your fingers. use as wide and flat tip of a screw driver as possible. Maybe wrap the ends in tape in case you slip so you don't go gouging anything. and pry til it pops. then pull away with fingers. one side will usually have glue (I think the driver side) so peel slow. When you put the mirror glass back on (don't forget to plug the heater element back in) make sure to evenly press all around the glass so the mirror pops back into place.

The mirror halves and center should all fit together without any unnecessary force. so make sure they all fit together like a puzzle easily. If they don't fit right the first time, jiggle them around. they'll slide into eachother.
Old 09-21-17, 03:28 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice writeup! On my list👍
Old 05-19-18, 09:30 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the SMD panel you recommended. I originally had 194 LED just because I had many sitting around. Oh man, what a difference!! Thanks!
Old 05-20-18, 11:18 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Just wanted to add that apparently 2018's don't require resistors at all if you use the turn signal LED bulbs recommended in this thread. I don't know about other brands but they should work without resistors as well.
Old 05-21-18, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yohan81718
I went with the SMD panel you recommended. I originally had 194 LED just because I had many sitting around. Oh man, what a difference!! Thanks!
Yes they are super bright aren't they? I want to find red ones for the doors.. make it look euro! plus it's an element of safety opening the door in traffic
Old 05-26-18, 09:44 AM
txsaitang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I did.

bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

resistors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to confirm that one set of resistors worked great if just the rear or front bulbs were replaced with LED, but when both front and rear had LED replaced, it would go into hyperblink. I just double up on the resistors in the rear (wired in parallel) and it solved the issue.

Very helpful thread however!
I followed this guide too and I'm getting hyperflash with one resistor on each side. How would you install another set in parallel? I'm a noob at this stuff and I tried searching online but I'm getting nowhere lol.
Old 05-26-18, 09:59 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by txsaitang
I followed this guide too and I'm getting hyperflash with one resistor on each side. How would you install another set in parallel? I'm a noob at this stuff and I tried searching online but I'm getting nowhere lol.
Add another one on whatever side you didn’t already. So if you installed 2 on the rear turns now add two to the front turn signal wires or vice-versa.
Old 05-29-18, 09:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think it's all going to depend on your particular set of resistors and LED bulb combination. Sorry to those who couldnt get it to work. but it worked for me using the exact combo I posted. i can't speak for other methods.

It's all trial and error though.

2 years later, my setup is still going nicely. very bright. and i've used these particular bulbs in 3 different cars (swapped them over). very durable , no issues.

Quick Reply: How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)