IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Drive w/o key!!! How much are keys???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 09:57 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike200T
Can I ask a dumb question? WHY would you put you keys on top of the car to turn off the key alert ding? It only dings 2 or 3 times and then stops ... I've done it 100 times. I don't understand leaving your keys behind, let a lone on the roof. I don't mean to continue to beat you up but I just boggles my mind why you would the keys on the roof ...
Sorry this boggles your mind but as I mentioned above, I've owned my mishap. Until recently, my cars have always needed keys in the ignition to run so I'm still adjusting to vehicles with keyless start. Until this very moment, I never knew it only dinged 2-3 times. I assumed the car would shut off once I reached a certain proximity which obviously isn't the case. Hence the fact I placed my keys within the closest arm reach while rushing back inside. Hopefully this response helps clear your mind.

Last edited by KYIS350F; 08-03-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 10:41 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best option (for the future) would be to leave your key in the car. The doors will not lock with the keys in the car if the car is in park. Again, I wasn't trying to beat you up, it sucks what happen.
Old 08-03-16, 10:46 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

The best option (for the future) would be to leave your key in the car. The doors will not lock with the keys in the car if the car is in park. Again, I wasn't trying to beat you up, it sucks what happen.
Thanks Mike. Great "food for thought" in the future. It's unfortunate but you live & learn.
Old 08-03-16, 07:26 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Did you actually try this yourself or justed assumed the OP was correct? I recreated it and two things happened when I put the key on the roof (yes there's a video too - the link is below)

1) The door wouldn't open
2) The car wouldn't start - Error Message: Key not detected

Lexus IS Key Test - YouTube
I did a quick test this morning. Here were what I tried:

1: Unlock the car and start the engine
2: Took the key out of the car and closed the door. Error message showed on dash, the car still running
3: Now put the key on the roof, I did not open the door. Error message disappear.

That may explain why the message did not show up when OP drive off
Old 08-03-16, 09:14 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried this today.

1. I started the car
2. I exited the car with the key
3. I put the key on the roof.
4. I sat in the car and opened the sunroof.
5. I pulled the key inside through the sunroof
6. I climbed out through the trunk without the key
7. I got locked out
8. I climbed in through the sunroof
9. I drove to work
Old 08-04-16, 07:41 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by L0ngJ0hn
I tried this today.

1. I started the car
2. I exited the car with the key
3. I put the key on the roof.
4. I sat in the car and opened the sunroof.
5. I pulled the key inside through the sunroof
7. I got locked out
8. I climbed in through the sunroof
9. I drove to work
I see a new "challenge/game" starting
Old 08-04-16, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I see a new "challenge/game" starting
haha. i'd scuff up my interior trying that. Too old and uh...big.
Old 08-04-16, 09:42 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by L0ngJ0hn
I tried this today.
How did you do that? I've never tried to access the trunk from the backseat
Old 08-05-16, 01:55 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The key has to be in the car to start it, but not to continue.

So in this case, the OP had the key in the car, started it, then took the key out with the engine still running, placed the key on the roof, and drove off, losing the key along the way.

The car will not shut off in this scenario by design. If you're driving along and the key battery dies, you would want the car to keep driving, rather than stall on the highway, an intersection, etc.
This makes sense and I appreciate the info. I assumed the car would not go far without the key. I get home and have to move trash cans out of the garage Tuesday night and back in Wednesday night. Now, I know the three beeps and the warning light are the car telling me someone could drive off with it since I left it running. Maybe it's time for me to rethink how I do that.
Old 08-05-16, 02:16 AM
TLittle350
Driver School Candidate

Default FOB replacement

Check w/ your insurance. Mine covers lost keys and fobs up to $500. No deductible
Old 08-05-16, 08:51 AM
3actual
Driver

That's why the key fob never leaves my pocket.
Old 08-07-16, 11:16 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Really unfortunate that you left your key on your roof and drove off. It's one of my nightmares that I leave keys, phone, or the worst thing imaginable, my wallet on the roof and just drive off.

The even more bad news, my dealership quoted me $333 for a new key fob cause I wanted a spare. My car only came with one but when I found out the price I said F that and just cherish my one key fob. Lmao
I once left my phone on the roof of my car and drove home. Noticed i was missing my phone when my phone call to my wife on the way home cut off suddenly. It stuck to the roof a good 5 minutes of city driving lol. Worst part was it happened the night before a trip to asia. had to use my kid's iphone while in Asia.

OP, I once tried to see how long the car stays on without a key and it stayed on until I turned it off. The warning actually went away after a while. Sucks about your key. You can find unprogrammed keys in Ebay or even in some mall kiosks for a under 200 bucks. The programming by a locksmith or dealer will cost a bit too.
Old 08-08-16, 05:10 AM
TLittle350
Driver School Candidate

Joelseff::
If you only have one fob call your insurance agent and tell them you lost a fob.. They will replace it. You definitely do not want to be walking around w/ only one fob to your car, if you lose your only one it will cost big bucks to get new fobs because I believe you'll also have to replace the computer that deals w/ the security and fob functions
Old 08-08-16, 04:13 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Really unfortunate that you left your key on your roof and drove off. It's one of my nightmares that I leave keys, phone, or the worst thing imaginable, my wallet on the roof and just drive off.

The even more bad news, my dealership quoted me $333 for a new key fob cause I wanted a spare. My car only came with one but when I found out the price I said F that and just cherish my one key fob. Lmao
It should have come with two key fobs...
Old 08-08-16, 10:23 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TLittle350
Joelseff::
If you only have one fob call your insurance agent and tell them you lost a fob.. They will replace it. You definitely do not want to be walking around w/ only one fob to your car, if you lose your only one it will cost big bucks to get new fobs because I believe you'll also have to replace the computer that deals w/ the security and fob functions
Oh no I have 2 fobs. I lost my phone hahaha

Quick Reply: Drive w/o key!!! How much are keys???