IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should I get a GS350 or a IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 06:03 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Should I get a GS350 or a IS350

I am having difficulty trying to decide. To help let me tell you all a little about myself. I am 6'2", married, petite wife (5'3"), two daughters (preschooler and infant). The wife drives a 13 RX350 (which will be used for longer road trips). I recently test drove a 14 GS350 F-Sport and a 14 IS350 F-Sport and here were the characteristics that I've noticed:
GS350 F-Sport:
Pros
Very comfortable, cooled seats, seat memory, folding mirrors, larger nav/audio screen that read more details. very quick, all the feature you would expect for the $$$ that being shelled out.
Cons
The 19" staggered wheels that defeat the purpose of low maintenance, wheel option are ugly as well. I prefer the 07-12 5 spoke wheels.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IS350 F-Sport:
Pros
Great looks,youthful sex appeal, nice gauges, Roija red interior, attractive wheels, quick response
Cons
Lack of memory seating, cooled seats, folding mirrors, weird turning signal, tight to get in, lack of storage space, useless center console, staggered wheels (also costing too much for tire replacement)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary
I was in love with the is350 f-sport at first sight but after driving it, I got a new outlook. For the $$ of the f-sport package, you're basically paying for a kool bumper/grill, aluminum pedals, kool gauges and different color interior options (all appearance), BUT you're actually loosing features that you would get from a non f sport. I can't justify this price hike for the sake of looks but loss. I came from a 2012 Kia Optima SX Turbo and that had more features that the is350 f-sport. I feel like I'm kinda downgrading as far as options goes. This is by no means a knock on the beautiful IS350 F-sport but I feel like I'm not getting my moneys worth.
The GS350 don't have quite the same sporty edge but you get what you're actually paying for. With this car, I feel like I'm actually upgrading.

What do you all think? I know this is the IS350 page but I want to hear other's 2 cents.
Old 07-10-16, 06:19 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. when i was looking, a '13 GS F-Sport was about $5K cheaper than a '14 IS, but i went with the IS.

Yeah, it's a little bit smaller on the inside, but it has one area of practicality that many people overlook- the rear seats fold down completely, where the GS only has a passthrough. I'm very reluctant to own a car w/out this feature.
Old 07-10-16, 06:58 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I would get the GS. You can easily change the rims if that is the only thing you don't like.

Plus, your daughters are still young, but if they end up being tall like yourself, they will appreciate the extra leg room in the back. The GS is better sized for family purposes IMHO.
Old 07-10-16, 07:21 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I rarely fold down rear seats, the last time I routinely folded down the rear seat was when I had my 03 accord coupe to allow more bass from my subs. lol. Rear seat fold down option isn't a deal breaker for me. I have a car seat and a britax car seat base that will negate folding them down anyway.
Old 07-10-16, 07:22 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evident
I was in the same boat as you. when i was looking, a '13 GS F-Sport was about $5K cheaper than a '14 IS, but i went with the IS.

Yeah, it's a little bit smaller on the inside, but it has one area of practicality that many people overlook- the rear seats fold down completely, where the GS only has a passthrough. I'm very reluctant to own a car w/out this feature.

is that the only reason why u picked the IS over the GS?
Old 07-10-16, 07:41 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably purchase a '16 GS350 F sport. It is just a better all around car, very comfortable, and has better material quality. I do feel that my is350 is just too small. And I'm surprised that you actually fit in the IS since most of my larger friends have hard time getting comfortable.

I do love the sportiness of the IS, but then again there is the RC for that. I also hate the fact that I see IS250's and IS200t everywhere,

Last edited by jkonquer; 07-10-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 07:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The F-Sport package on the 350 gives you AVS which imparts great handling feel to the car. This little side benefit makes the F-Sport package worth it for me. If the infant is still in a rear facing seat, the GS will be the better car. The IS doesn't have enough leg room for that rear facing seat.

From a driving perspective, the IS feels more nimble which was a BIG plus for me. The turning radius on the IS is really great (rarely do I have to make a 3 point turn). The styling was also a big plus.
Old 07-10-16, 09:40 AM
kup125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6' 1" with a wife and two kids (8 &13) and we fit fine it the 3IS fine. We also have a Highlander if we go on any road trips. I agree the 3IS isnt the easier car to get out of but is way sporty than the GS. Also the "15 3IS has cooled seats and heated steering wheel options. The turn signal switch takes about a day on two to get use to, I have the same setup in my Silverado.Hope that helps

Last edited by kup125; 07-10-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 09:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I was looking at both of these cars as well and it is really annoying that a $50k car doesn't have memory seats and parking sensors but then has radar cruise control which is typically a higher priced option (but not anymore). I would rather have had memory seats, power tilt and parking sensors than radar cruise. But overall I do like the wheels, grille and interior of the F-sport so that is what I'm getting.

As for the GS, I personally don't think it is worth it but maybe at your height it is. It is a good bit more expensive (at least from a lease perspective) and has the same engine and powertrain as the IS in a bigger and heavier car. What I do like is the little annoyances I have with the IS are taken care of in the GS.
Old 07-10-16, 10:22 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 2016 IS350 Fsport.

However, if I had the money. and do it again. I would probably want to GS Fsport. The GS has awesome seating settings. There are controls to adjust the side bolsters which can hug you better than your parents.The interior compared to the IS looks way better with classier finish. Plus, its bigger and more suitable for a family.

You can also get the GS in hybrid version (GS450h), 29 city/34hwy with 338 HP. The IS does not have a hybrid version in the U.S. That is if your looking into a hybrid.

Other than that, the GS350 has 311 HP for 2016, whereas the IS350 has 306hp. Performance wise, its more or less the same. the IS might pull a little harder since its lighter.
Old 07-10-16, 10:29 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly if I was in your position with a wife and kids the GS would be my choice.

But my opinions of the IS as a single 5'7 male is that it's a great car although the staggered wheels makes me mad too that I can't rotate them and cost more to replace. Storage works fine for me since I am single but seeing you with a family, the GS just sounds like a better fit. Cooled seats come in the 15'+ IS I think but it does annoy me that I paid so much for a car that doesn't have memory seating or folding mirrors. Maybe you want that extra power and sport handling by upgrading to the GS-F. Lol although its alot more money.
Old 07-10-16, 11:03 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I'm leaning towards the GS as of now.
Old 07-10-16, 11:05 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

wait for the 2017 IS, the nav screen is upgraded to 10 inches, the body styling is better, lexus safety system+ is now an option, and youre only missing out on a little from the GS. the toddler's car seat may be a little tight, but you should be fine as long as your wife sits in the passenger seat. i was in the same boat too but I'm getting an IS because its only me driving it, but there is always enough room for 4 passengers if i ever need the space.
Old 07-10-16, 11:07 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I recently came from a Kia Optima SX Turbo that had more features than the IS350. I see some member have/had buyers remorse after a few years with the IS. Again no knocking. Those staggered wheels tires run at least $800. I too think Lexus could have included the luxury items for the price of this car. The f-sport package cost $4k more but not worth the brand new price.
Old 07-10-16, 11:09 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmull3r
wait for the 2017 IS, the nav screen is upgraded to 10 inches, the body styling is better, lexus safety system+ is now an option, and youre only missing out on a little from the GS. the toddler's car seat may be a little tight, but you should be fine as long as your wife sits in the passenger seat. i was in the same boat too but I'm getting an IS because its only me driving it, but there is always enough room for 4 passengers if i ever need the space.
I'm not worried about the kids seats especially the infant base because that's temporary. Btw damn u got a lot of Lexus'.....

Quick Reply: Should I get a GS350 or a IS350