IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should I get a GS350 or a IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 11:13 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How about the base model with Luxury package?

I started off considering the F-Sport version of the 3IS but after coming to the same conclusion about the lack of features I ended up special ordering a base 3IS with the Luxury package and other options that I wanted. Unless you plan to really flag the car the Sport+ and other handling options are in my opinion a poor trade off for comfort. YMMV
Old 07-10-16, 11:28 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
I started off considering the F-Sport version of the 3IS but after coming to the same conclusion about the lack of features I ended up special ordering a base 3IS with the Luxury package and other options that I wanted. Unless you plan to really flag the car the Sport+ and other handling options are in my opinion a poor trade off for comfort. YMMV
The FSPORT seats, Nuluxe, are way more comfortable than the standard leather seat. Might age a little better too.
Old 07-10-16, 11:33 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nathantse
The FSPORT seats, Nuluxe, are way more comfortable than the standard leather seat. Might age a little better too.
I suppose comfort is a matter of personal preference. I found the base seats more comfortable.

The jury seems to be out on NuLuxe. Search this forum and you'll find a number of example of failing NuLuxe. Personally, I like the smell of leather but again, YMMV.
Old 07-10-16, 12:02 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose comfort is a matter of personal preference. I found the base seats more comfortable.

The jury seems to be out on NuLuxe. Search this forum and you'll find a number of example of failing NuLuxe. Personally, I like the smell of leather but again, YMMV.
Yes I do agree that there are some issues with ripping and wrinkling of the Nuluxe. I have experience the same wrinkles on the bottom side bolsters of the seat. However, its mainly because of how I got in and out of the car, and how we generally sit on the seats.

I found that Lexus is not to blame for the issues with Nuluxe.
Old 07-10-16, 04:24 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

That's another thing? why did they decide to go with Nuluxe for the f-sport models?
Old 07-10-16, 05:38 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

It's seems like all cars in this price range have trade offs. when I looked at the BMW 328 you had to get the parking sensor package for rear view camera. Then for blind spot monitors you needed the radar cruise control package. You had pay extra for 18" wheels. To get heated steering wheel you needed the cold weather package which typically added a $1450 leather package. After you add all of these things the price ends up being pretty high. For the S3 I was looking at, it also didn't have memory seats and since it had the radar cruise control, they said you couldn't get home link for it and the price was $52k. It seems like cars in this price range that I like have little annoyances.

The thing you get with the GS is that most come pretty well equipped with most of these features, at least the ones I looked at.
Old 07-10-16, 05:49 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
That's another thing? why did they decide to go with Nuluxe for the f-sport models?
From my point of view. Its "cost saving". Nuluxe is not that bad really. BMW and Mercedes all uses some sort of synthetic leather in their car as well.
Old 07-10-16, 06:36 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

thx for that answer
Old 07-10-16, 08:06 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I too think Lexus could have included the luxury items for the price of this car..
I just received my pre-ordered IS350 with luxury package. So I have all the leather, creature comforts that I need. I could not stand this faux-leather in Lexus, neither its touch nor smell. I was leaning from the start towards IS350 since I really preferred its center console over the GS version (At 63 I figured I was too young for GS ). Yes, I had to wait for the car but I have something really unique on the road, there is nothing like that in the whole US
Old 07-10-16, 09:07 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
I just received my pre-ordered IS350 with luxury package. So I have all the leather, creature comforts that I need. I could not stand this faux-leather in Lexus, neither its touch nor smell. I was leaning from the start towards IS350 since I really preferred its center console over the GS version (At 63 I figured I was too young for GS ). Yes, I had to wait for the car but I have something really unique on the road, there is nothing like that in the whole US
63 yrs old! Hope I'm not offending you but its so true that Lexus is an older age group of people driving them. If I was your age I'd get the normal IS350 with the luxury package too. Lol. But definitely the cooler old people drive Lexus Honestly I don't get people that see an F-Sport and automatically think I want to race. I'm just driving, enjoying my car, stop trying to race me! A busy highway isn't a race track! Maybe if I was 60 yrs old people would stop revving at me and stink eyeing me. Haha

Anyways back on topic, go with the GS350. I think you've already made up your mind the GS is more luxurious and has more features that you like and want. Although as a IS350 F-Sport owner, join us cause we go got the kool bumper and wheels. lol
Old 07-11-16, 03:00 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Olasek
Yes, I had to wait for the car but I have something really unique on the road, there is nothing like that in the whole US
Hey, wait a minute - I have one too, just coming up on a year old. These are the options on mine:

EM Backup Camera
PS Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision
LL Luxury Package
Twin Projector LED Headlamps (high/low beam)
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Leather-trimmed interior
Rain-sensing Wipers
Electrochromic Outside Mirrors with Auto Tilt-down in Reverse
Power-adjustable Steering Column (Tilt / Telescope)
Lexus Memory System for Driver's Seat, Mirrors & Steering Column

I did NOT order ML audio (I'm doing my own upgrade) nor the insanely expensive, out of date, and hard-to-operate Navigation system. I'll put the money I saved on those two items into aftermarket systems, thanks.

At the port they apparently didn't realize the car was special ordered so they added in their normal 'port package' of 18" wheels, trunk mat, cargo net, door edge guards, etc. which of course I did not order and thus did not have to pay for - at least not explicitly!

Last edited by LeapFrog; 07-11-16 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 07:10 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, wait a minute - I have one too, just coming up on a year old. These are the options on mine:

EM Backup Camera
PS Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision
LL Luxury Package
Twin Projector LED Headlamps (high/low beam)
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Leather-trimmed interior
Rain-sensing Wipers
Electrochromic Outside Mirrors with Auto Tilt-down in Reverse
Power-adjustable Steering Column (Tilt / Telescope)
Lexus Memory System for Driver's Seat, Mirrors & Steering Column

I did NOT order ML audio (I'm doing my own upgrade) nor the insanely expensive, out of date, and hard-to-operate Navigation system. I'll put the money I saved on those two items into aftermarket systems, thanks.

At the port they apparently didn't realize the car was special ordered so they added in their normal 'port package' of 18" wheels, trunk mat, cargo net, door edge guards, etc. which of course I did not order and thus did not have to pay for - at least not explicitly!
Luxury Package IS350 with Dynamic Cruise and NO Navigation?

That's a Unicorn!
Old 07-11-16, 07:15 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rld14
That's a Unicorn!
Old 07-11-16, 07:42 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still stunned here... how is it possible to have all options without nav! , I wonder how much did that lexus cost...

Last edited by AMNss; 07-11-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 08:28 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

is that the only reason why u picked the IS over the GS?
No, but it was a major deciding factor. I also had many of the same opinions that you did on both vehicles.

Quick Reply: Should I get a GS350 or a IS350