IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Got the Itch to Lower the Car... Need some Advice

Old 06-08-16, 02:37 PM
phoenix888
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Got the Itch to Lower the Car... Need some Advice

What's Up Club Lexus!

I've been reading through the threads between RSR DOWN, SUPER DOWN, HALF DOWN's, SWIFT, Coilover's etc.

The only reason I haven't done anything yet is the WAY I DRIVE haha.

I've driven a Pick up Truck for over 10 Years, and this was my 1st time back in a sports car. With that said the last 6 months have been awesome. I clear all Curbs, no scraping, no door opening onto concrete, no parking stop hang up's... ZERO ISSUES, and I still drive and park normal.

Now with the new set of rims, that wheel gap is starting to bug me...

Is there a major difference to daily driving on the RSR Half Downs? That is my preference, if the RSR Downs look great, but I would rather have more "meat" on the tire for the amount of miles I put in. I want to drive and not always worry about clearance and parking.

THANKS CL CREW!
Old 06-08-16, 02:47 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got mine lowered yesterday on RSR Downs.

I LOVE THEM. First day driving them to and from work, and I already like how they handle. In normal mode, they feel as stiff as it was with stock springs in Sport+, if that makes sense. And in Sport+, it really just grips the road and theres no body roll.

As far as looks, I can definitely tell it's lowered now. From inside, it still looks the same and it doesn't look like im riding on the ground. I'm not sure how it is at night but I can only assume that the headlights are pointing towards the ground more, so i will have to make an adjustment later.

I'm on stock wheels, until tomorrow.

I'm getting 19" Velgen VMB5 wheels. (19x9 front and 19x10.5 back). Really excited to get them mounted and see how they look.

I live in cleveland and we have terrible streets. My driveway has a big curb, but if i go up at an angle, im okay.

If I went with SuperDowns, then I think I would be scraping everywhere. I do plan on getting a front lip so If I do scrape anything, it will be the lip first before the beautiful white paint lol.

Old 06-08-16, 03:18 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

So are Superdowns the lowest that RSR offers?

Whats the differences between RSR downs and half downs?
Old 06-08-16, 03:19 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Yes Super Downs are the lowest. (-2.0" front / -1.8" back)

Downs provide a -1.2" front & -1.0" rear.

Half down is less than an inch front and back I believe. Not sure the exact measurements.
Old 06-08-16, 03:29 PM
phoenix888
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SceneAmati

Half down is less than an inch front and back I believe. Not sure the exact measurements.

From what I've read the Half are about 3/4-1 in the Front and about 1/2 in the back to get rid of that Reverse Rake.

That's all I really want. So on the your bad roads in Cleveland (I travel from OC to LA to Vegas) how did the RSR Down play out? Also with Parking Stops and Curbs. Does the lip still "clear", or do you have to park further back and always watch because it'll catch?
Old 06-08-16, 03:29 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh I see. Your car looks good with the Downs. No scrapping at all?

Everything else is stocked right?

Might get the RSR Downs as well.
Old 06-08-16, 03:34 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Well, I've only had a full day of driving on these new springs.

I take it easy and dodge potholes and as far as parking curbs, my front bumper won't clear. But, I usually like backing into spots when I can.

There are very bad roads in the area which I completely avoid unless I'm in my 4Runner. Some streets are literally looking like minefields and the city doesn't bother repaving.

Yes it's all stock for the most part.

I do notice you "feel" the road more compared to stock
Old 06-08-16, 03:53 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I've only had a full day of driving on these new springs.

I take it easy and dodge potholes and as far as parking curbs, my front bumper won't clear. But, I usually like backing into spots when I can.

There are very bad roads in the area which I completely avoid unless I'm in my 4Runner. Some streets are literally looking like minefields and the city doesn't bother repaving.

Yes it's all stock for the most part.

I do notice you "feel" the road more compared to stock
Ouuu. Did you order from their official site? You installed yourself or went to a shop?

I'm debating on either lowering, or getting 19 Vossens to lessen that wheel gap. OR BOTH! lol
Old 06-08-16, 03:56 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Ordered from Redline360.

I got them done at a shop. I don't have that free of a schedule to install them myself. Plus I trust someone who works on cars for a living to do it lol. I have enough time playing mechanic working on my crotch rocket lol.

I suggest doing both. Vossen's with low profile tires will make that wheel gap bigger probably.

The main reason I lowered mine was for these wheels I'm getting tomorrow.
Old 06-08-16, 05:13 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had no issues with the RSR Downs. Perfect height and rides good imo. I only scrape the plastic behind the front wheels on steep driveways and the stock front lip is still high enough to barely clear all parking curbs and sidewalks that I've gotten too close to.
Old 06-08-16, 06:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Personally, I would skip the Half Downs since you you might want that extra drop with the Downs later on.

When I had the IS, I had it with the Downs and it's a good compromise in ride comfort to looks. Basically, you get 90%+ the ride comfort over stock with the added benefit of reduced body roll (nearly none). Never had any scraping issues over driveway ramps, speed bumps, etc, nor any rubbing with the wheel setup I had.

Old 06-08-16, 07:18 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Ouuu. Did you order from their official site? You installed yourself or went to a shop?

I'm debating on either lowering, or getting 19 Vossens to lessen that wheel gap. OR BOTH! lol
This is 19" with half downs.

Old 06-08-16, 08:33 PM
TorontoR
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowered with half downs based on the pic above me thst doodlebug sent me. Perfect down height and rides like stock.
Attached Thumbnails Got the Itch to Lower the Car... Need some Advice-_dsc0635.jpg  
Old 06-08-16, 09:21 PM
Kwong516
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
This is 19" with half downs.
Originally Posted by TorontoR
Lowered with half downs based on the pic above me thst doodlebug sent me. Perfect down height and rides like stock.
See...these 2 pictures are so different. They're both half downs however one is flush with the wheels and one has slight wheel gap. Then I see some downs with a finger gap and some tucking tire...IDK?????
Old 06-08-16, 09:40 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Get Swifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the Itch to Lower the Car... Need some Advice