IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 02:46 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@CriagMak - "If you don't care about feeling the road, having steering feel, enjoyment when tossing the car into a corner etc..

That's a slam and it's a lie. I rest my case. Why do you think I'm "bent out of shape?" Why don't you answer the questions I've asked? Why don't you comment on my claim that reliability is a luxury item? Why do you keep parading out a straw man?

See, my problem is that you are not being insightful. You're not adding value to my body of knowledge. I will be the first to admit the IS isn't perfect -- no car is -- but i don't go on forums telling owners that their car is great if "If you don't care about feeling the road, having steering feel, enjoyment when tossing the car into a corner etc.. then yes, YOUR CAR is by far the champ here.It's the only luxury segment car at the bottom.

Since you seem to think we're bottom feeders -- what are you doing down here?

Last edited by Glashub; 06-13-16 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 02:59 PM
vinz8
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread should be closed. He's already decided to NOT buy an IS350, there is nothing more to really prove to him.

If he wants to buy an Audi, he should go to an Audi forum
Old 06-13-16, 03:35 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Your comments about the finger-light steering of the IS make me wonder if the sample you were driving had over-inflated tires. Too much air can definitely make the steering feel lighter, and it's not hard to find a new Lexus on the lot with over-inflated tires.

I'm considering this because I never found the steering that light in my IS when I had it, especially in Sport mode. I would pop it back to Normal mode in parking lots and such because the steering effort required in Sport mode was quite high and lower speeds (or I just have weak arms ).

Note that my IS did not have VGRS.
May I ask why you sold the IS after 1 year? Didn't you like it?
Old 06-13-16, 03:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
May I ask why you sold the IS after 1 year? Didn't you like it?
Actually I had it for over 2 years, and loved it. Such a fantastic car and I'd love to have one again.

However, about six months into ownership we, quite unexpectedly, found out that our family was expanding by one.

We made it work for several months after our son was born, but it was difficult to fit his rear facing infant seat in there and leave comfortable room for my wife in the front passenger seat, so it became purely a commuting car for me and sat idle during the weekends while we used the RX for family outings.

Last December I had it in to the dealer for a service appointment and while I was there, I checked out the GS and struck a great deal on one. Strong resale on my IS and great end-of-the-year discounts on the GS made the transition remarkably easy. The GS has fixed all of our issues with car seats, strollers, etc, and now our family of 4 can fit very comfortably inside.
Old 06-13-16, 03:46 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
@CriagMak - "If you don't care about feeling the road, having steering feel, enjoyment when tossing the car into a corner etc..

That's a slam and it's a lie. I rest my case. Why do you think I'm "bent out of shape?" Why don't you answer the questions I've asked? Why don't you comment on claim that reliability is a luxury item? Why do you keep parading out a straw man?

See, my problem is that you are not being insightful. You're not adding value to my body of knowledge. I will be the first to admit the IS isn't perfect -- no car is -- but i don't go on forums telling owners that their car is great if "If you don't care about feeling the road, having steering feel, enjoyment when tossing the car into a corner etc.. then yes, XXXXXX is by far the champ here.It's the only luxury segment car at the bottom.

Have not been on the Lexus forum since selling my SC in 13. Man you guys are vicious here.
Regarding the SC, when I lived in Central NJ, I saw one probably every few months. Here in Florida, I see 3 or 4 per day. Maybe I should have kept it?

Last edited by abbeyrd; 06-13-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 10:49 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub

That's a slam and it's a lie. I rest my case. Why do you think I'm "bent out of shape?" Why don't you answer the questions I've asked? Why don't you comment on my claim that reliability is a luxury item? Why do you keep parading out a straw man?

See, my problem is that you are not being insightful. You're not adding value to my body of knowledge. I will be the first to admit the IS isn't perfect -- no car is -- but i don't go on forums telling owners that their car is great if "If you don't care about feeling the road, having steering feel, enjoyment when tossing the car into a corner etc.. then yes, YOUR CAR is by far the champ here.It's the only luxury segment car at the bottom.

That bottom of the chart in this case was a good thing. It meant less money spent on repairs. This was not an insult, it was a major praise. Context is everything.
Old 06-13-16, 11:09 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

I think the problem here is that some of the people are not constructive at all. They see a negative comment and get super defensive. They completely ignore any positive comments made and focus only on the negative.

Some constructive comments would be something like, If you want the car to have better handling and driving dynamics you can do X, Y, Z to the suspension and that will cost X amount of money.

If you want better steering feel maybe you can do this to the steering.... I'm sure some people out there have modified their cars in some way to increase sportiness. These would be reasonable, constructive comments.
Old 06-13-16, 11:19 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Your comments about the finger-light steering of the IS make me wonder if the sample you were driving had over-inflated tires. Too much air can definitely make the steering feel lighter, and it's not hard to find a new Lexus on the lot with over-inflated tires.

I'm considering this because I never found the steering that light in my IS when I had it, especially in Sport mode. I would pop it back to Normal mode in parking lots and such because the steering effort required in Sport mode was quite high and lower speeds (or I just have weak arms ).

Note that my IS did not have VGRS.
Many of the comments so far have made me question whether or not the car I drove was actually a full fledged F-Sport model. The sales rep had already told me there was no way to correct the seat hurting my back, perhaps he was wrong on the model as well.

I told him about not being able to read the readout, he did not seem to have the idea that my polarized sunglasses were causing the issue. I only suspected it until some one on this forum said it was in fact a known issue. It did not occur to me at all during the drive unfortunately so I didn't try taking them off.

Now you tell me that you actually can get heavy steering out of the car. This is 100% contrary to what I experienced. The steering was so electronically assisted that I felt absolutely nothing from the road.

Some things are seriously not adding up here. I honestly don't see how a car could win Car & Driver's praise with the attributes that I experienced. I'm actually getting very skeptical of my test drive at this point.
Old 06-13-16, 11:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
Many of the comments so far have made me question whether or not the car I drove was actually a full fledged F-Sport model. The sales rep had already told me there was no way to correct the seat hurting my back, perhaps he was wrong on the model as well.

I told him about not being able to read the readout, he did not seem to have the idea that my polarized sunglasses were causing the issue. I only suspected it until some one on this forum said it was in fact a known issue. It did not occur to me at all during the drive unfortunately so I didn't try taking them off.

Now you tell me that you actually can get heavy steering out of the car. This is 100% contrary to what I experienced. The steering was so electronically assisted that I felt absolutely nothing from the road.

Some things are seriously not adding up here. I honestly don't see how a car could win Car & Driver's praise with the attributes that I experienced. I'm actually getting very skeptical of my test drive at this point.
Hahaha. It would be hilarious if you drive the wrong model. I hope you know that to get the tighter steering and stiffer suspension, you have to be in Sport + mode and not Sport mode. You have to turn the dial to the right twice to activate Sport+.

If you hold traction control for about 7 seconds, it will disable all electronic nannies and if you manually shift it, it will be able to bounce of the limiter without the car shifting for you.

I say go test drive it again and see. I'd still get the M2 if you don't need the space though. It's a much better car.
Old 06-14-16, 06:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Which dealer did you go to? Bellevue?
Old 06-14-16, 11:36 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you show us the picture of the car in question at the dealership that you drove? Most likely it's gone but try another car and make sure it's the right one and set to the correct settings.
Old 06-14-16, 05:03 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Which dealer did you go to? Bellevue?
No, I'm actually in AZ now. I recently moved after being in Seattle for 20 years.
Old 06-14-16, 05:08 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
Could you show us the picture of the car in question at the dealership that you drove? Most likely it's gone but try another car and make sure it's the right one and set to the correct settings.
What I know is that it had the F-Sport badge and the better looking front grill. I was told that only the F-sport had the grill I saw on the car.

It sounds to me like the car definitely was not in sport plus mode. I told him I wanted it sporty and I'm used to an M3 but you know. I don't think he wanted me getting crazy on the test drive.

I'm thinking it was probably in grandma mode.
Old 06-14-16, 05:13 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
Hahaha. It would be hilarious if you drive the wrong model. I hope you know that to get the tighter steering and stiffer suspension, you have to be in Sport + mode and not Sport mode. You have to turn the dial to the right twice to activate Sport+.

If you hold traction control for about 7 seconds, it will disable all electronic nannies and if you manually shift it, it will be able to bounce of the limiter without the car shifting for you.

I say go test drive it again and see. I'd still get the M2 if you don't need the space though. It's a much better car.
Yes, I agree that the M2 is definitely a unicorn car. Unfortunately they are back ordered and selling above MSRP in most cases. I don't think you can get your hands on one for less than $55K and a minimum 7 week wait. I am not going to buy a car I have never seen, touched nor driven for that kind of money.
Old 06-14-16, 05:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
Yes, I agree that the M2 is definitely a unicorn car. Unfortunately they are back ordered and selling above MSRP in most cases. I don't think you can get your hands on one for less than $55K and a minimum 7 week wait. I am not going to buy a car I have never seen, touched nor driven for that kind of money.
I didn't know they were that hard to get. A friend of mine ordered one and is doing the European delivery.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Test Drive