IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New User Introduction!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 02:28 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New User Introduction!

What's up guys! I just wanted to throw out an introduction post! Back in late February this year, I traded my 2007 BMW 335i for a 2016 Lexus IS350 F Sport. I grew up in a family full of car enthusiasts, but they're all domestic car nuts. I'm the odd man out who values fit and finish, handling, and the overall package of the car over just plain power. Anyway, this post serves as a bit of a comparison between my experiences with my IS and my 335, and where I sit now on the subject.

I didn't have my 335i very long before getting rid of it, only a year. I sold it after putting about 20k miles on it at just over 101k miles. During that time, the numerous issues with the adaptive headlights, a water pump failure (only repair done by dealer, all others were performed by myself), windshield washer pump failure, driver's door lock assembly, speed sensor issues, belt/tensioner/pulley replacement, OFHG leak, etc. caused me to part ways with this car despite how much I loved the way it drove. For now, working two jobs and going to school full-time, I just didn't have the excess time to be performing repairs at the rate the failures were coming. At one point, there were four different warning messages that would cycle as the car was started. Granted, the car never left me stranded, but it sure had its fair share of problems.

My vehicle history is as follows:
-2004 Honda Civic Coupe (Totaled)
-1994 Honda Accord Sedan (Sold)
-2004 BMW E46 325Ci (Sold)
-2007 BMW E90 335i (Sold)
-1988 BMW E28 528e (Current tinker toy)
-2001 BMW E39 540i M-Sport 6MT (one-week nightmare)
-2016 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

I'd like to give a bit more background on my previous car's options, as a BMW without the right options is significantly different from one that has them. My 335i came equipped with M-Sport suspension, sport seats, had adaptive bi-xenon headlights, automatic rain-sensing windshield wipers, Dakota leather interior, non-runflat tires, and was the model with two identical turbos, as opposed to the newer twin-scroll setup. The sound system was a 13-Speaker Logic7 system, with a subwoofer under each of the front seats.

The following is a list of things I like/don't in comparison to my 335, having owned the Lexus almost three months now. It's also worth saying that I was having withdrawals from the 335 at first, but they were gone after about a month, and I'm settled into the new car quite well.

Things I like:
- The engine has an awesome sound
- I was in denial about turbo lag telling myself that there was none in the 335, but let's be honest, there was, and it's nice being back in an NA motor again, the throttle response is instant. To me, this makes up almost completely for the lower torque number.
- I love the interior; the seats are amazing, even compared to my 335's sport seats. The nuluxe is much softer and better feeling than the Dakota leather in my e90.
- The keyless entry/go on the Lexus actually works 100% of the time, while the e90 was hit or miss. As well, the remote fob actually locks/unlocks the car from a great distance, while all BMWs I've owned, you basically have to be next to the car.
- Love the LED headlights.
- In Sport+ more, the car corners flatter than my BMW, but in normal/Eco mode the car is so smooth. I never thought I'd appreciate a car that has a smooth ride over one that's firmer, but it's awesome to have the choice.
- I know the looks are polarizing to some, but I think it's gorgeous.
- The LCD gauge cluster is really cool, if not moderately gimmicky. Can't lie to myself, though, it's definitely a really awesome gimmick. Haha

Things I don't like:
- The turn signal stalk is similar to the BMW, wherein it returns to center after you activate it; it has a three-blink function that works exactly the same. The Lexus is a little more finicky though. For example, if you fully activate the turn signal, the BMW allows you to cancel the signal by bumping the stalk either way. The Lexus makes you bump it in the opposite direction, otherwise it stays on. Also, the BMW would "finish the blink" so-to-speak, but when the turn signals are deactivated, the Lexus cuts the blink off in the middle.
- Comfort access doesn't allow the doors to be locked while one is open on the Lexus (emitting an annoyingly long beep), while on the BMW, you could. Also, the BMW would allow you to remove the key from the car while running and lock the doors. The Lexus will stay running if you remove the key, but the remote doesn't allow you to lock the doors.
- Rolling the windows up in the BMW by turning the lock cylinder was nice. Not sure if this can be programmed on the Lexus. I'll find out on my first scheduled maintenance.
- The Lexus is missing a couple of features that I liked on my BMW, but this is due to the fact that I couldn't see spending an extra $5000 to get other features I don't like, added in as well (Like nav, which I would never use, as I prefer my phone to guide me). This includes rain sensing wipers, memory seats, tilt-down in reverse mirror, and the upgraded audio system. Although, the base audio system in the Lexus isn't that far from the L7 in the Bimmer.
- The BMW's ride height was pretty much perfect from the factory, as the 335 came with M-Sport suspension on the sport package cars. The Lexus has a ton of wheel gap. I still haven't fully decided whether I'd like to get lowering springs for a mild drop, or just leave it the way it is.
- I had to turn animations on the MID screen off because they lagged so badly, but now with the animations off, the response is instant, and it's generally quite intuitive. Would be nice to not have to turn animations off though.
- The auto-dimming mirrors are slower to respond, it seems. This may actually be due to the fact that the BMW had pretty dark tint on the rear windows, so it may have made the headlights seem less intense without the mirror needing to dim. - This, I have gotten used to.
- The manual shift mode. I miss that he BMW had both up- and down-shift paddles on both sides of the steering wheel. It allowed for easy operation with one hand. Also, the up and down are backwards on the Lexus at the shifter itself. I can get used to this, but I feel like the BMW's was better. Also, it's happened three times now where I forgot I'd taken it out of manual mode, and went to up-shift while accelerating, only to put he car into neutral. This was never a problem in the BMW.

So far, the only modifications I've done are a carbon fiber vinyl on the interior trim and center console, as well as LED interior lighting I had leftover from previous LED ventures. I also wash the car in a weird, ritualistic way so that scratches and swirl marks are kept to an absolute minimum. It is, after all, my first brand new car!

TL;DR

Before buying my 3IS, I honestly never even considered the idea of owning a Lexus, but after test driving the car, I found that the car's performance was about 90% or so of the 335i, but due to the fact that it has adaptive suspension, I've found the car to be serene when wanted (unlike my BMW), but also very close to the same level of handling that my 335 offered, all while being bulletproof for the long-term, and costing ~$10,000 less than an equivalent new 335i/340i (Even more after the deal I worked out on the car. ). I will likely come to posses a BMW as a daily sometime in the distant future, but for now I'll be a Lexus guy.
Attached Thumbnails New User Introduction!-img_0585.jpg   New User Introduction!-7e2d42ff-c769-4b69-b61f-dbfd3df3f6aa.jpg   New User Introduction!-ba068d07-4455-4f41-ae6c-36ddc02ed7d7.jpg   New User Introduction!-img_0651.jpg   New User Introduction!-img_0597.jpg  

New User Introduction!-13055755_10209275861241847_2960426576612600199_o.jpg  

Last edited by 350Alex; 05-16-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 02:36 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family!

As for the windows, your dealer should be able to program your car, so that holding down the unlock on the FOB will roll down your windows, and holding LOCK will roll them up.

I agree about the turn signals.. I've had mine for close to a year and I am still getting used to only partially moving the lever and not canceling.
Old 05-16-16, 02:37 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice write up and welcome to the lexus Family!!

i agree with the wheel gap, european cars did that part right!! i lowered my car in RSR half downs, just enough to close the gap a little. Look into that.

Keep us posted on your mods!!!
Old 05-16-16, 03:17 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendanf
Welcome to the Lexus family!

As for the windows, your dealer should be able to program your car, so that holding down the unlock on the FOB will roll down your windows, and holding LOCK will roll them up.

I agree about the turn signals.. I've had mine for close to a year and I am still getting used to only partially moving the lever and not canceling.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. I'm particular about how and when I use my turn signals, and despite the fact that I thought I cancelled the turn signal, I end up driving some distance with it on, occasionally. The fact that the sound for the signal is so quiet doesn't help any, either.
Old 05-17-16, 11:04 AM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I never know that I can turn off animation. The lag really sucks. Let me try turning animation off lol

Wait a moment, you don't have built-in navi, right?

Last edited by SummerRain; 05-17-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 11:11 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family! The 3IS is awesome to drive!

Btw, how do you turn animation off? Is it one of the options under settings?
Old 05-17-16, 11:34 AM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Welcome. I never know that I can turn off animation. The lag really sucks. Let me try turning animation off lol

Wait a moment, you don't have built-in navi, right?

Yeah, the lag I was noticing was with the standard, non-navi system. My car is a pretty basic 350. The F Sport package is the only option I opted for. I believe the option is within general settings, but I can double check.
Old 05-17-16, 12:23 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Welcome to the Lexus family! The 3IS is awesome to drive!

Btw, how do you turn animation off? Is it one of the options under settings?
Thanks!

Yeah, so I just checked it. If you don't have nav, it's under Setup>General.

Also, where did you get your LEDs for the exterior? Are the ones you have installed at least as bright as the stock bulbs? I tried LEDs on my Civic a few years ago, but the ones I bought were crappy and not bright enough.

Last edited by 350Alex; 05-17-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:40 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

really wish i coulda got the car w/o nav. congrats. I almost purchased an '11 335i w/ sport package, but get the is350 instead.
Old 05-17-16, 02:32 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Alex
Thanks!

Yeah, so I just checked it. If you don't have nav, it's under Setup>General.

Also, where did you get your LEDs for the exterior? Are the ones you have installed at least as bright as the stock bulbs? I tried LEDs on my Civic a few years ago, but the ones I bought were crappy and not bright enough.
Cool, thanks for the information!
I got mine from HID Powerhouse. The guy's name is Kenneth.
He has quality stuff
I think they're redesigning their website, so a lot of the stuff won't be shown on it, but you can always email him directly.

He's pretty responsive.
info@hidpowerhouse.com
Old 05-17-16, 02:36 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evident
really wish i coulda got the car w/o nav. congrats. I almost purchased an '11 335i w/ sport package, but get the is350 instead.

Yeah, I was cool with the BSM, since I had no choice with the F Sport package, but all the other tech stuff seemed unnecessary to me. Although I do wish ML was a standalone option, as I would have definitely opted for that. As for the '11 Bimmer, the e90 was the last generation that still had something going for it. There's a lot I don't like about the new F30 generation, long term maintenance being the biggest caveat to any BMW.
Old 05-17-16, 04:26 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Cool, thanks for the information!
I got mine from HID Powerhouse. The guy's name is Kenneth.
He has quality stuff
I think they're redesigning their website, so a lot of the stuff won't be shown on it, but you can always email him directly.

He's pretty responsive.
info@hidpowerhouse.com
Cool, thanks for the info as well!
Old 05-17-16, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome to Lexus, Club Lexus, and congrats on your IS. Enjoy for many years to come!
Old 05-18-16, 11:09 AM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's much appreciated! I'm hoping to make this the first car I actually do some modifications to. I was always hesitant to do any mods to the Bimmers, solely due to the fact that the next impending failure was always on my mind, and instead of modifying the car, I kept my money to spend on whatever the next issue was. haha
Old 05-18-16, 02:33 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Another addition to the OC CL fam

Quick Reply: New User Introduction!