IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS F Sport - Spoiler or No Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:43 PM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS F Sport - Spoiler or No Spoiler?

Hi everyone. New 350 F Sport owner here. Long story short, after purchasing the vehicle, my dealer installed the OEM spoiler on the new car. (They added a spoiler to the 250 I used to own and thought I wanted one again on the new car). I told them no I didn't want one on the car I have now. Thank god it was only glued on so they were able to take it off. However, for whatever reason, the spoiler left little dents on the trunk where it was mounted. They are going to try to remove the dents on Friday. This situation has been pretty upsetting to say the least. I'm kind of over it and just wanna say screw it and throw the spoiler back on.

With that being said, do you guys prefer the 3IS with or without a spoiler?

Also, I don't know about the other dealers, but the two Lexus dealers in San Antonio have been throwing spoilers on their new IS models. Is this a new trend?
Old 04-12-16, 10:47 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I like the look of the spoiler. In fact, I have mine being install next Monday.

I wish they would just 'throw one on' as mine is costing 496.00 cad + taxes. That's after I flipped out after being told there was an extra cost of 240.00 bucks to have it painted on top of that. I have a black non f-sport is350. The black requires 'special' paint. I argued that nowhere on the Lexus (Canada) website does it mention an extra cost.

Ah, I digress...all will be good next week.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-16, 11:05 PM
949FSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

eBay. $200 bucks for OEM Lexus painted spoiler. Don't get the mounting kit Lexus says you need and just mount with double side mounting tape. Done deal.

Looks way better than no spoiler at all. Add the Stillen diffuser and bingo! BTW there is a group buy for the Stillen spoiler. Check out the classifieds.
Old 04-12-16, 11:33 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Seibon Carbon spoiler.
Old 04-13-16, 01:13 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Addressing you situation will depend on what look do you like.

For me I prefer the spoiler look since it gives more aggressive look to the rear. Additionally the only one with no spoiler in my country is the standard spec 3IS, and for sure I don't want my car to look like the standard 3is.
Old 04-13-16, 02:14 AM
Chump408
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first when I was car shopping I wasn't interested in the spoiler. However, I wanted my car in black on black and the dealership who had my color combo also came with the spoiler. I didn't care for it at first but I'm so glad I got it. Looks a bit more aggressive as stated above.
Old 04-13-16, 05:19 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the car looks great with the OEM spoiler. I got it on mine. It's low and sleek and I feel really adds a nice touch to the back end.
Old 04-13-16, 05:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of the spoiler. The IS has such a great, aggressive appearance and the spoiler only clutters it up, in my opinion.
Old 04-13-16, 05:54 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm personally not a fan of the spoiler. The IS has such a great, aggressive appearance and the spoiler only clutters it up, in my opinion.
Agree. It looks like a Hyundai rear end with a spoiler. It just looks awkward on the car. The trunk line without a spoiler looks amazing.
Old 04-13-16, 07:15 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I like the OEM spoiler. It's very subtle, but I think it adds a nice touch and helps balance out the lower lines of the car. However, I would not suggest having the dealership install it again (have them send it to a body shop) because my dealership caused nothing but issues attempting to install mine (and it has happened to other members here). Also, it should be bolted down on each side into the trunk lid. It comes with installation instructions and a diagram. Don't let them get away with just taping it.
Old 04-13-16, 07:20 AM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the responses. Like all the replies, I have mixed feelings as well. I think it looks nice and clean without the spoiler. The lines on the car just flow so well. However, the spoiler does add a more aggressive look to the rear. Since it's off now, I feel like it's missing something. But at the same time, I'm enjoying the clean look. I'll see what happens on Friday and will decide what to do from there. First world problems...
Old 04-13-16, 07:23 AM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tC2IS350
I like the OEM spoiler. It's very subtle, but I think it adds a nice touch and helps balance out the lower lines of the car. However, I would not suggest having the dealership install it again (have them send it to a body shop) because my dealership caused nothing but issues attempting to install mine (and it has happened to other members here). Also, it should be bolted down on each side into the trunk lid. It comes with installation instructions and a diagram. Don't let them get away with just taping it.
They actually have a 3rd party do it for them. And they used some very strong adhesive and must have put a ton of pressure when they installed it, hence why I am left with dents.
Old 04-13-16, 08:47 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
agreed, i've yet to warm up to any of the body kits/spoilers to the 3IS. it looks pretty great from the factory. Maybe a slight drop, but that's all.
Old 04-13-16, 09:40 AM
heyitsRL
Driver School Candidate

I think the IS looks cleaner without the OEM spoiler, but that's just my personal preference.
Old 04-13-16, 11:29 AM
DEWIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patnatty
They actually have a 3rd party do it for them. And they used some very strong adhesive and must have put a ton of pressure when they installed it, hence why I am left with dents.
If the spoiler is built the same as the 2IS spoiler it came with two threaded studs which have to cut off if your only going to use tape,
if they didn't trim them flush that may be where your two dents came from.

Quick Reply: 3IS F Sport - Spoiler or No Spoiler?