IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Regretting my purchase, tell me i shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 06:08 PM
gtmassive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regretting my purchase, tell me i shouldn't.

I just bought a 2016 IS300 Fsport-- was a spur of the moment purchase, and i got a good deal on my 2014 pathfinder trade in.. Never own a Lexus before or any Toyota.. Personally not satisfied with this car, sorry to say, after 2 days of ownership i want to trade it in.
No memory seats, no surround view cam / interior is below par except the fronts seats, i find the car pick up is very slow(doesnt move like a V6), Engine idles high can even hear it in cabin. I was looking for a low payment and i guess thats what i get. I didnt do any research, was just thinking this will be the perfect car for my wife and teenager.
A $47K car, i'm disappointed, please convince me it get better.
I know they car looks HOT exterior when modded, but still seems slow and subpar interior.
Old 03-02-16, 06:33 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry you are not liking the car. For the slow pick up and loud idle, maybe you're still in the break in period? But it is also not a race car.. But theres not really much that changes.. its not like memory seats will eventually appear later on if its not there to begin with when you got it. I believe theres a non F-Sport package that includes memory seats, i think its the luxury package. Did you not test drive or take a look at the car before getting it?
Old 03-02-16, 06:42 PM
gtmassive
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
Im sorry you are not liking the car. For the slow pick up and loud idle, maybe you're still in the break in period? But it is also not a race car.. But theres not really much that changes.. its not like memory seats will eventually appear later on if its not there to begin with when you got it. I believe theres a non F-Sport package that includes memory seats, i think its the luxury package. Did you not test drive or take a look at the car before getting it?
"Did you not test drive or take a look at the car before getting it" -- to be honest never even look for memory seats, shouldn't every car have that in this time, test drive around the block from the dealership cant really tells anything.. Whats the normal breakin period for these cars? What i have notice is that if u drive in Manual shift and sport, the pick is better than "D" sports.
I got carried away with the Red Seats honestly..
Old 03-02-16, 06:43 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like the interior, but if you're expecting more luxury, you should've looked at a GS or higher model. That said, it is kind of strange that the the sport package doesn't have the options in the luxury package like memory seats. With regard to power, you got the 300, which only has 255 HP; the 350 would've been a better pick at 306 HP. Even then, I would call the 350 peppy, but not super fast. In the test drive you should've asked if you could go out to a more open road. When I test drove my IS350, I asked the salesperson to go on the highway and he obliged. When I tested a BMW M235i, they took me to a more twisty road along with an open road to test acceleration and speed.
Old 03-02-16, 06:46 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Originally Posted by gtmassive
"Did you not test drive or take a look at the car before getting it" -- to be honest never even look for memory seats, shouldn't every car have that in this time, test drive around the block from the dealership cant really tells anything.. Whats the normal breakin period for these cars? What i have notice is that if u drive in Manual shift and sport, the pick is better than "D" sports.
I got carried away with the Red Seats honestly..
lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8219/~/…

Here's the link about the break in period. In a previous post you said that the car may be your wife or daughter. So maybe if you don't love it, they might? haha yea, the red seats looks awesome!
Old 03-02-16, 06:51 PM
gtmassive
Rookie

Xellos-- i think my previous F10 and current F85 is bad influence to the wife and I. Hopefully a few mods and i can get it up to par..
Old 03-02-16, 06:56 PM
gtmassive
Rookie

TrueDat96-- thx for that FAQ.. i was definitely not following some of those listed. My wife always goes with me when i buy a car because she ask tons of questions, this time i went on my own and purchase same day-- Guess lesson learn, always let the wife makes the decision.
Old 03-02-16, 08:22 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Engine idles very high... Cause NY Cold starts?
Car has plenty of speed once you break in the motor. (Currently at 1600 miles on my IS300)
You traded in an apple for an orange.. Not sure what you were expecting off the bat. lol

I find that mine is a great cruiser for my daily commute and pretty fun once I throw it into M mode + Sport mode. Its not as fast as my old vehicle but I didn't purchase this vehicle for its horsepower.

You're more than welcome to jump over to the German side but have fun with all the bull**** you'll have to put up with.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-16, 12:24 AM
LexusFirst
Rookie

I just bought a 2016 IS300 Fsport-- was a spur of the moment purchase, and i got a good deal on my 2014 pathfinder trade in.. Never own a Lexus before or any Toyota.. Personally not satisfied with this car, sorry to say, after 2 days of ownership i want to trade it in.
No memory seats, no surround view cam / interior is below par except the fronts seats, i find the car pick up is very slow(doesnt move like a V6), Engine idles high can even hear it in cabin. I was looking for a low payment and i guess thats what i get. I didnt do any research, was just thinking this will be the perfect car for my wife and teenager.
A $47K car, i'm disappointed, please convince me it get better.
I know they car looks HOT exterior when modded, but still seems slow and subpar interior.
To be fair, 300 is not really that bad. It is pretty common that the lower trim luxury car has no surround view cam. Surround view is more common on SUV or high end sedan.
Not sure what vehicle you came from, but engine idle in cabin should be lower than average vehicles. Power on 300 is decent in city. At least 255hp is not a bad number. In my area, more than 50% of sedan on the road are below 200hp.
I agree the memory seat is a missing feature for luxury brand. For some reason, Lexus take it away from F sport models in the North America market.
Yes, you should do more research and take a longer test drive before buying the next vehicle.
For $47K, there are many alternatives that come with the features that you mentioned.
Old 03-03-16, 04:10 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFirst
I agree the memory seat is a missing feature for luxury brand. For some reason, Lexus take it away from F sport models in the North America market.
Yes, you should do more research and take a longer test drive before buying the next vehicle.
For $47K, there are many alternatives that come with the features that you mentioned.
In all fairness, aside from surround view camera, which is available in higher end trim SUV's and sedan, all other options he wants are available in the IS. Memory seats are available in F Sport trim for the GS however not in the IS, this is probably to keep the price point to that "entry level" luxury sweet spot. He should have bought the luxury trim instead. Beside, the OP mentions F10 and F85, no way he could get the same options at that price point in German makes.
Old 03-03-16, 05:31 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

i find the car pick up is very slow(doesnt move like a V6)
This took a couple months for me to get use to. the combination of dead throttle response in normal and eco mode, weird programming, and gearing makes the car FEEL slow until you learn how to drive it. My wife has a TSX wagon (4cyl) and it feels like a rocket ship compared to the IS350 becuase first gear is VERY low and holds for a while, 4cy has a bunch of low end torque, and the suspension is soft so you feel the weight transfer. In reality the IS350 is pretty close to 2.5 seconds FASTER to 60 but it just feels slow when casually driving.

Power doesnt usually come on until close to 4k rpm and the automatic logic rarely ever lets it get that high in normal driving unless you are flooring it. Unless you drive in sport or sport + and then its too high for highway cruising.

To convince myself its not as slow as it feels i try to drive my commute twice a week in sport+ and manual mode.
Old 03-03-16, 05:46 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Have your test driven a GS? Sounds like it could be a better fit. There might be some leftover MY15s around with great lease numbers if the dealer allows you to dump your current lease in favor of a new one (albeit for a little more money).
Old 03-03-16, 06:14 AM
Jskrapper
Driver School Candidate

If acceleration was a concern, you should have looked at the 350. Now that mine (350) has about 1200 miles on it, I can tell that it is more powerful than the day I got it. I am coming from a 278AWHP modified Subaru legacy GT sedan. That felt miles faster than the IS350, until I raced them both. My brother in law drove the Lex, and I drove the LGT, it was about 2.5 car lengths ahead of the LGT when we got up to the legal speed limit and still pulling.

As Snowrydr01 said, there is more to acceleration than "feel". Also, I love the interior. It doesn't look like grandpas lexus at all and feels more like a cockpit than a cabin. That is why I loved it. I hate fancy shmancy.
Old 03-03-16, 06:15 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...after 2 days of ownership i want to trade it in.
Some Lexus dealers offer a 3-day "money-back" deal, if you don't like the car and drive it less than 150 miles, you can just return it. If you really are dissatisfied with the car, ask your dealer TODAY if they will do this.
Old 03-03-16, 06:33 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I feel like if you were looking for a bit of power, you will probably continue to be unhappy with the 300. The 350 isn't a race car, but it has a decent amount of pick-up to make it enjoyable. I am also disappointed that the F-Sport did not come with memory seats, but it's not a deal breaker. I think the interior of my IS is nice and comfortable but it depends on what you are comparing it to. For more luxury you will need to pick up a higher model like a GS. And regarding the high idle, mine idles around 1k or 1200 RMP when I first start it up when it's cold out but it settles once it's warmed up.

Quick Reply: Regretting my purchase, tell me i shouldn't.