IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trunk Lip Review (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 07:54 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk Lip Review (Pictures)

Hey everyone. I recently ordered a trunk lip on eBay (cheapest one) and decided to make a review to help everyone out.

THE PRODUCT:
The cheapest trunk lip I've seen for the 3IS and I love the look and for a $55 price tag for a painted trunk lip, I had to pull the trigger. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321818547767?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
THE ORDER:
I ordered the trunk lip on September 28 and sent the seller a message with my car's color name and paint code. I was quoted an estimated delivery time of Oct. 21 - Oct. 29. I was very pleasantly surprised when I received a Fed-Ex package on Oct. 9. My trunk lip arrived packaged very professionally and carefully in order to not damage it. I opened the package and from first glance, knew it was great. The quality was 10/10 and the paint work was 10/10 too. Although the trunk lip is flexible, I flexed as far as possible and the paint remained perfect. The 3M double tape was included and there was even extra just in case you mess up putting it on.

INSTALLATION:
The first thing I did was pull my car out into the hot SoCal sun and let the trunk heat up to allow the double tape to stick better. I then Krazy Glued the 3M double tape to the trunk lip as the quality of the trunk lip would not allow the double tape to stick well to it. The double tape did stick extremely well to the trunk with no gluing required. I measured the placement and began slowly installing the flexible trunk spoiler from one end to the other. I slowly removed the double tape's backing as I went. The pamphlet included in my package recommended using a heat gun for installation but did not specify whether the heat gun was okay for painted trunk lips or non painted only. No heat was required and the trunk lip curved perfectly with the trunk. After installing, I gave the trunk lip a quick wax and was finished.

THE FINAL LOOK:

Here are a couple close up pictures of the paint match and quality.

Anyway, thanks for checking my review out and if you have questions or anything, shoot me a PM.

I AM NOT THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER OF THE TRUNK LIP AND HAVE NO RELATION TO THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER OF THE TRUNK LIP. Only trying to help out fellow CL users.
Old 10-12-15, 08:35 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I have the same one, except I did not get it painted. So far after 9 months its holding up well.
Old 10-12-15, 10:06 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportDRM
Nice! I have the same one, except I did not get it painted. So far after 9 months its holding up well.
Very cool! I guess it's also durable. lol
Old 10-13-15, 04:11 AM
Crew
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the well-written, articulate and detailed review!..... Congrats on your new high-value accessory!
Old 10-13-15, 11:58 AM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same lip i bought mine a long time ago and its holding up very well. I paid more then that i believe unpainted. It worked out perfect because i got rear ended so when i took to shop i had them paint and install it.
Old 10-13-15, 06:34 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hovik92
Hey everyone. I recently ordered a trunk lip on eBay (cheapest one) and decided to make a review to help everyone out.

THE PRODUCT:
The cheapest trunk lip I've seen for the 3IS and I love the look and for a $55 price tag for a painted trunk lip, I had to pull the trigger. Here is the link.

Painted 2015 for Lexus IS250 IS300 is350 4D Sedan Rear Trunk Lip Spoiler Wing | eBay

THE ORDER:
I ordered the trunk lip on September 28 and sent the seller a message with my car's color name and paint code. I was quoted an estimated delivery time of Oct. 21 - Oct. 29. I was very pleasantly surprised when I received a Fed-Ex package on Oct. 9. My trunk lip arrived packaged very professionally and carefully in order to not damage it. I opened the package and from first glance, knew it was great. The quality was 10/10 and the paint work was 10/10 too. Although the trunk lip is flexible, I flexed as far as possible and the paint remained perfect. The 3M double tape was included and there was even extra just in case you mess up putting it on.

INSTALLATION:
The first thing I did was pull my car out into the hot SoCal sun and let the trunk heat up to allow the double tape to stick better. I then Krazy Glued the 3M double tape to the trunk lip as the quality of the trunk lip would not allow the double tape to stick well to it. The double tape did stick extremely well to the trunk with no gluing required. I measured the placement and began slowly installing the flexible trunk spoiler from one end to the other. I slowly removed the double tape's backing as I went. The pamphlet included in my package recommended using a heat gun for installation but did not specify whether the heat gun was okay for painted trunk lips or non painted only. No heat was required and the trunk lip curved perfectly with the trunk. After installing, I gave the trunk lip a quick wax and was finished.

THE FINAL LOOK:

Here are a couple close up pictures of the paint match and quality.

Anyway, thanks for checking my review out and if you have questions or anything, shoot me a PM.

I AM NOT THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER OF THE TRUNK LIP AND HAVE NO RELATION TO THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER OF THE TRUNK LIP. Only trying to help out fellow CL users.
Thanks for the link! It looks like a deal to me! I noticed that Nebula Gray Pearl wasn't listed on their paint codes list. I only saw Smoky Granite Mica. Is this what you ordered?

Thanks
Old 10-13-15, 08:48 PM
ichobu
Rookie

Nice review! I want the same one so bad but they don't paint ultra white
Old 10-14-15, 05:20 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ichobu
Nice review! I want the same one so bad but they don't paint ultra white
WHAT???
lets do an ultra white group buy.
Old 10-14-15, 08:35 AM
ichobu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Baopee
WHAT???
lets do an ultra white group buy.
I'm in for 1 if this happens
Old 10-14-15, 10:11 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Wow thats a clean lip spoiler!
Old 10-17-15, 08:08 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey man thanks for the review. It looks nice! I just ordered one for my ultra white.
Old 10-18-15, 02:44 PM
Passat774
Pit Crew

Thanks, I also placed an order for my paint code which was not listed; 1J4 - Silver Lining Metallic

I will let you know what happens
Old 10-18-15, 06:54 PM
ichobu
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
Hey man thanks for the review. It looks nice! I just ordered one for my ultra white.
Lmk how it turns out
Old 10-19-15, 04:49 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
thought they cant do ultra white yet
Old 10-19-15, 05:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP looks great color coded.

Got the same one a few months back in gloss black and so far so good. If it survives our winter, it's an A+ especially for the low cost.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lip Review (Pictures)