IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question regarding TPMS (Aftermarket) on Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 04:00 PM
vftoronto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question regarding TPMS (Aftermarket) on Aftermarket Wheels

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I have a question regarding my newly installed rims. Perhaps I will drop by our new member area and say hi to everybody =D

I purchased a new set of aftermarket wheels by FastCo and had them installed on my OE Summer/All-Season set of tires and at first the TPMS light were on every time I drive but now it's been taken cared of.

The issue at hand still is: while the TPMS warning light is off already, whenever I check for Tire Pressure values on the dash there's always nothing to display... I took the issue to the shop where I had them installed and corrected the previous warning light problem and they managed to get everything back to normal by pressing the TPMS reset button at the bottom of steering wheel. However the problem persisted and again there are no values of tire pressure... Any ideas why?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-15, 07:07 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

you said that they reinstalled your oe tires, but did they transfer the sensors as well?
Old 10-08-15, 08:21 AM
vftoronto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp2
you said that they reinstalled your oe tires, but did they transfer the sensors as well?
Hey, thanks for helping out.

What I meant was, I purchased a new set of aftermarket TPMS and slapped them on the aftermarket winter wheels after programming them from signals straight from my OE set. There are no warning light on my dash, but there are also no values displayed on dash on the new TPMS signals... I'm just wondering why this is happening.
Old 10-08-15, 08:30 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

depending on what aftermarket company you got them from, maybe they weren't programmed correctly or different codes? just a shot in the dark
Old 10-08-15, 09:04 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

This happened to me as well. I was told by my dealer that some aftermarket sensors are not able to send the pressure to the computer but the car will still warn you if the pressure is low. Which is why you no longer get the flashing light.
Old 10-08-15, 01:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

So I wonder which aftermarket tpms sensors are "fully" compatible with the 3IS?
Which make and models???

Why didn't the OP swap the original OEM tpms sesnsors from the OEM alloys to the aftermarket alloys?
Sometimes the OEM sensors don't fit on certain aftermarket alloys.
Old 10-08-15, 03:40 PM
vftoronto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
This happened to me as well. I was told by my dealer that some aftermarket sensors are not able to send the pressure to the computer but the car will still warn you if the pressure is low. Which is why you no longer get the flashing light.
Hmm thanks for the response, I guess it is now safe to believe it's the aftermarket TPMS' fault then.
Old 10-08-15, 03:46 PM
vftoronto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
So I wonder which aftermarket tpms sensors are "fully" compatible with the 3IS?
Which make and models???

Why didn't the OP swap the original OEM tpms sesnsors from the OEM alloys to the aftermarket alloys?
Sometimes the OEM sensors don't fit on certain aftermarket alloys.
I work at a body shop where we sometimes work on tires too. We tried this method but sometimes OEM sensors get damaged so that's why I bought a set of aftermarkets.

Well as long as the warning light isn't on, I guess it's still ok lol.
Old 10-08-15, 04:17 PM
vftoronto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp2
depending on what aftermarket company you got them from, maybe they weren't programmed correctly or different codes? just a shot in the dark
Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-09-15, 01:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vftoronto
I work at a body shop where we sometimes work on tires too. We tried this method but sometimes OEM sensors get damaged so that's why I bought a set of aftermarkets.

Well as long as the warning light isn't on, I guess it's still ok lol.
So does removing the OEM tpms sensor from the OEM wheels occasionally cause damage to the tpms?
If so, I'll have to purchase genuine OEM tpms for my aftermarket wheels.

Also, does anyone know if the OEM tpms last forever, particularly the battery life, and is the battery replaceable, or is the OEM tpms a disposable unit, and another genuine OEM tpms must be purchased when the battery gets flat?
Old 10-09-15, 02:46 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
So does removing the OEM tpms sensor from the OEM wheels occasionally cause damage to the tpms?
If so, I'll have to purchase genuine OEM tpms for my aftermarket wheels.

Also, does anyone know if the OEM tpms last forever, particularly the battery life, and is the battery replaceable, or is the OEM tpms a disposable unit, and another genuine OEM tpms must be purchased when the battery gets flat?
If the wheel shop knows what they're doing, they shouldn't get damaged but it can happen. Especially with low profile tires.

I think they're supposed to last 5 years.

I think they're disposable.
Old 10-09-15, 03:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

If so, then when we get aftermarket wheels, an expert is less likely to damage the genuine tpms on swap over, and in any case, the tpms is a single use disposable unit that must be replaced in 5 years anyway, so may as well swap over, rather than purchase another set of genuine tpms sensors, while the original set of tpms single use disposable tpms sensors get flat batteries and must be disposed of anyway...
Old 10-26-15, 01:09 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vftoronto
Hey, thanks for helping out.

What I meant was, I purchased a new set of aftermarket TPMS and slapped them on the aftermarket winter wheels after programming them from signals straight from my OE set. There are no warning light on my dash, but there are also no values displayed on dash on the new TPMS signals... I'm just wondering why this is happening.
Hi vftoronto,

I have experienced the same issue. Just wondering what aftermarket TPMS sensors that you have? EZ sensors?
Old 10-26-15, 02:18 PM
wsabichris
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm actually getting my wheels drilled this week to fit the bolt and my guy ordered new TPMS from tire rack. Hopefully it all goes well. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-26-15, 02:26 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ever have TPMS issues, you can always take the car to Lexus and have them reprogram the sensors. I had an issue with my sensors and the dealership took care of it.

Quick Reply: Question regarding TPMS (Aftermarket) on Aftermarket Wheels