ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   My Black IS250 is just under 3K after one year (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/799105-my-black-is250-is-just-under-3k-after-one-year.html)

sinakh89 10-02-15 05:50 AM

My Black IS250 is just under 3K after one year

Hi Guys.

So my baby IS250 still has not even hit 3K after 10 months of ownership. It is 2734 miles at the moment. I know the first maintenance is not due at all in terms of mileage but wanted to know your opinion if I should get the oil changed anyway after a year? I bought the car new from dealer back in Nov last year but its production date is July 2014 (15 model year)

My job is located in a road outside city where its really not suited for the IS so I end up using my Suzuki Grand Vitara all year and just ride the IS on weekends :sad:

Would like to keep the oil at least for another 6 months if its not gonna hurt the car...

let me know your thoughts please.

thanks

goldengame 10-02-15 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sinakh89 (Post 9202373)
Hi Guys.

So my baby IS250 still has not even hit 3K after 10 months of ownership. It is 2734 miles at the moment. I know the first maintenance is not due at all in terms of mileage but wanted to know your opinion if I should get the oil changed anyway after a year? I bought the car new from dealer back in Nov last year but its production date is July 2014 (15 model year)

My job is located in a road outside city where its really not suited for the IS so I end up using my Suzuki Grand Vitara all year and just ride the IS on weekends :sad:

Would like to keep the oil at least for another 6 months if its not gonna hurt the car...

let me know your thoughts please.

thanks

Yes you should change the oil. You're supposed to change it every 5000 miles I believe OR every 6 months, whichever comes first.

SummerRain 10-02-15 08:57 AM

Change oil every 10k miles or 1 year whichever comes first

You should drive this baby more. I drove 3k miles in 2 months lol

theoryguy 10-02-15 10:16 AM

You're oil needs to be changed every 10k miles or a year. You should change out the oil and check your valve seals.

Carbonite 10-02-15 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by theoryguy (Post 9202650)
check your valve seals.

:uh:

Maybe you're referring to something else but I don't think the valve seals are something that would need inspection at this time... Unless I missed something? I mean... that would be a major task in removing the intake mani., valve covers, cams, valvetrain, etc. to even view them, no?

theoryguy 10-02-15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonite (Post 9202799)
:uh:

Maybe you're referring to something else but I don't think the valve seals are something that would need inspection at this time... Unless I missed something? I mean... that would be a major task in removing the intake mani., valve covers, cams, valvetrain, etc. to even view them, no?

I'm referring to the fact that a car sitting for an extended period of time has a greater possibility of engine oil getting past the valve seals. Just because the car is newer doesn't make it immune.

rex2lex 10-02-15 05:51 PM

Maintenance schedule info is listed here:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...ce-schedule.do

Like others said if you get to a year before the next mileage maintenance interval then have it done at that time instead of the mileage.

sinakh89 10-04-15 09:53 AM

it hasn't been sitting in the lot for long times. I drive it at least 3 days a week. but just short commutes. no seal check required but I think the rest of you are right. need to change the oil. the link didn't mention the maximum time though. only mileage. should I change air filter too?

rex2lex 10-04-15 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sinakh89 (Post 9204673)
it hasn't been sitting in the lot for long times. I drive it at least 3 days a week. but just short commutes. no seal check required but I think the rest of you are right. need to change the oil. the link didn't mention the maximum time though. only mileage. should I change air filter too?

Ya they don't list max time, but typically the rule of thumb is 10000 miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. Your air filter should be fine, that's a 30,000 mile change and the car not being used a lot doesn't hurt it at all. You can always just take a look at it just to be sure.

sinakh89 10-05-15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by rex2lex (Post 9204805)
Ya they don't list max time, but typically the rule of thumb is 10000 miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. Your air filter should be fine, that's a 30,000 mile change and the car not being used a lot doesn't hurt it at all. You can always just take a look at it just to be sure.

Thanks REX. Guess I'm gonna be paying for an oil change this weekend then...

rex2lex 10-05-15 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by sinakh89 (Post 9205248)
Thanks REX. Guess I'm gonna be paying for an oil change this weekend then...

Since the first 5,000 & 10,000 maintenance are complimentary from Lexus, you might want to call your dealer first and tell them the situation. They might just do the first maintenance even though you're not at the mileage yet, then you wouldn't have to pay anything and they'll do more than just change the oil. It states on the maintenance schedule that the 5000 is covered by Lexus if done within 5000 miles or 6 months, and the 10000 is covered by Lexus if done within 10000 miles or 12 months.