IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need new glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 08:54 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new glass

Ok....I have a nice crack in my front windshield and need to get it replaced. I have done some research and it looks like Lexus glass is probably not in the realm of possibility with me insurance company. I have full glass coverage with no deductible but I am sure there is going to be a limit with regard to cost. So, my research has yielded that PPG glass is very good as another option other than Lexus glass. Are there any other brands of glass that I should looking for? Thanks.
Old 09-22-15, 09:29 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

I broke mine awhile back, I paid $11 out of pocket for Lexus glass by finding a shop on my own and as there weren't many alternatives in my area other than Safelite. A Lexus windshield was about 1.5k installed. Just be firm with your insurance (mine was State Farm), you don't want deal with repairs and cracks later on due to inferior glass quality and push for OEM glass.
Old 09-22-15, 09:48 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by theoryguy
I broke mine awhile back, I paid $11 out of pocket for Lexus glass by finding a shop on my own and as there weren't many alternatives in my area other than Safelite. A Lexus windshield was about 1.5k installed. Just be firm with your insurance (mine was State Farm), you don't want deal with repairs and cracks later on due to inferior glass quality and push for OEM glass.
Nice! Can you elaborate a little more. Did you just call around to independent glass installing company's and ask them how much they could do the oem glass for and then relay that info to your insurance company. I have Liberty mutual and I haven't needed to use them for any claims yet, so it remains to be seen how easy they will be to deal with. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-23-15, 05:34 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Exactly, I called about 18 different shops and finally I found one that would install a Lexus windshield. I relayed the windshield installer's info and pricing to Statefarm, who in turn, contacted the installer to work out the details. Statefarm asked me why I wanted OEM glass instead of Safelite and I had told them I read several online reviews where Safelite glass was prone to cracking due to lower filament quality, which is definitely something i wanted to avoid with winter coming. I also pointed out the Lexus windshield itself had water repellant and anti-fog properties in addition to the higher quality glass filament that made the windshield safer. You need to make it clear you've done your homework as most people believe that there is no difference when it comes to glass and don't do their due diligence. In the end, I just believe there wasn't any alternative windshields available in my area that were OEM quality that primarily lead to the Statefarm's decision to approve the Lexus windshield replacement. Additionally, a buddy of mine has a 2014 Maserati Ghilbli that originally was going to go with Safelite, then asked for OEM and had a Maserati windshield approved by Geico and installed by Safelite due to lack of alternatives. You also want to keep in mind installation time. Many windshield shops told me it would take 1-2 days to complete installation, I had mine done in 1.5hrs. This is typical of Lexus dealers who told me the windshield would cost as high as $3,600 and 3 days to install which was obscene in terms both price and time of installation. Good luck.

Last edited by theoryguy; 09-23-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-23-15, 06:05 AM
mightydrak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine replaced by insurance in Canada. I gave no choice to the insurance company, I told them that the only option they had was to pay for Lexus OEM installed at dealership. They gave me no issues at all and paid the full amount.
Came up to 850$ tax included and installed all at the dealership.
Windshield glass seems to be pretty fragile nowadays. I had an Audi A4 before and cracked 3 glass.
Old 09-23-15, 07:31 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Nice! Can you elaborate a little more. Did you just call around to independent glass installing company's and ask them how much they could do the oem glass for and then relay that info to your insurance company. I have Liberty mutual and I haven't needed to use them for any claims yet, so it remains to be seen how easy they will be to deal with. Thanks for the reply.
I just had to do a claim w/ liberty mutual on my wife's RX350. They have a special safelite claims department that deals with glass replacement. Just INSIST on having OEM glass used. I went to my Lexus dealer, got a quote for about $1200 and faxed them the invoice and got fully reimbursed, minus deductible of course.