IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wife borrowed car without asking and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 07:08 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wife borrowed car without asking and...

She ripped off my front lip and totally scratched it. Its hanging down looks like crap. I decided to drive my tundra felt bad it just sits there collecting dust all the time. Big mistake wife has her RX she decided to drive my IS today doesnt even tell me my 5 year old calls me to tell me mom drove my car and broke it. Not having a very good day today.
Old 09-19-15, 07:26 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch that's a challenging situation all around!
Days come and go...
Sounds like you are also very blessed.
Old 09-19-15, 08:15 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Divorce is the answer.

Just kidding. How did she rip it off? Curb?
Old 09-19-15, 08:25 PM
is300sport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just a car that can be repaired
Old 09-19-15, 08:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by is300sport
its just a car that can be repaired
While that is true, I think the OP has some serious trust issues in his relationship.

#1 that he doesn't trust his wife to drive his car. Now if this were something like a 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi that you have to pump the gas 2 times, give it 1/4 throttle, then full throttle to start it, etc, its been restored to #1 show condition, and its worth a cool $200k now or 5 years from now, then yeah, she really ****ed up. The fact that its a Lexus IS, not a really rare or valuable car in the scheme of things, well that's different IMO.

#2 is that she did drive his car, despite him telling her not to. That's breaking his trust. Once again I don't know the dynamics of the relationship so I cannot comment more than this. Also I understand that some women(and men) are complete bimbos behind the wheel and can't be trusted, once again I don't know the couple but that could've been a contributing factor to the commandment "DO NOT DRIVE MY CAR"
Old 09-19-15, 10:07 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Divorce is the answer.

Just kidding. How did she rip it off? Curb?
She pulled up to close to one of the cement long blocks in a parking space. It scratched and ripped it off the bumper.
Old 09-19-15, 10:18 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
While that is true, I think the OP has some serious trust issues in his relationship.

#1 that he doesn't trust his wife to drive his car. Now if this were something like a 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi that you have to pump the gas 2 times, give it 1/4 throttle, then full throttle to start it, etc, its been restored to #1 show condition, and its worth a cool $200k now or 5 years from now, then yeah, she really ****ed up. The fact that its a Lexus IS, not a really rare or valuable car in the scheme of things, well that's different IMO.

#2 is that she did drive his car, despite him telling her not to. That's breaking his trust. Once again I don't know the dynamics of the relationship so I cannot comment more than this. Also I understand that some women(and men) are complete bimbos behind the wheel and can't be trusted, once again I don't know the couple but that could've been a contributing factor to the commandment "DO NOT DRIVE MY CAR"
I do trust my wife just not driving my car. Its lowered and she drives kind of carelessly. To her its just a car to me its much more. Its not like she totaled it i guess. First time she drove it on her own she curbed my wheel. This was just the cherry on top of my not so great day.
Old 09-19-15, 11:06 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy her a new car so she wouldn't want to drive yours.
Old 09-19-15, 11:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
I do trust my wife just not driving my car. Its lowered and she drives kind of carelessly. To her its just a car to me its much more. Its not like she totaled it i guess. First time she drove it on her own she curbed my wheel. This was just the cherry on top of my not so great day.
Like I said, you have serious trust issues in your relationship. If your wife cannot respect the pride you take in your car, she does not respect you. Curbing a wheel, taking out the front bumper, if every time she drives your car she damages it, well then the first time she ****ed up she should know to never driver your car again.

I bet she is ****ing your best friend. Now I'm just kidding about the ****ing part, but if she disrespects you so much to injure your car every time she drives it, well she isn't entirely trustworthy IMO. If she knew she was a hazard on the road, then she wouldn't driver your car to start with.
Old 09-19-15, 11:34 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

She has her own car. Is there a reason why she didn't want to drive hers and take yours instead?
I'm sure you guys can work this out and hopefully come to an understanding regarding the importance of respecting each others belongings.
Old 09-20-15, 12:52 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Like I said, you have serious trust issues in your relationship. If your wife cannot respect the pride you take in your car, she does not respect you. Curbing a wheel, taking out the front bumper, if every time she drives your car she damages it, well then the first time she ****ed up she should know to never driver your car again.

I bet she is ****ing your best friend. Now I'm just kidding about the ****ing part, but if she disrespects you so much to injure your car every time she drives it, well she isn't entirely trustworthy IMO. If she knew she was a hazard on the road, then she wouldn't driver your car to start with.
Calm down bro....
Old 09-20-15, 04:35 AM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Really, borrowing and damaging the car translates into trust issues? If I would tell my wife not to take my car, I mines-while sleep on the sofa ;-) Someone needs a snickers!
Old 09-20-15, 04:51 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Steveo I can relate to this. My wife, in the past, drove my full kit slammed civic, and also tore off the front lip and it was hanging. It actually came off on the highway as she ran over something. Also rashed the wheels on it too. Then jacked up the escalades 24's on the curb. We traded it in for a newer one then she rashes those 24's. Holy friggin moly man. Yes I was pissed but I had to reiterate the importance of having nice vehicles.
Bad days indeed bro and I feel ya. I don't believe you have trust issues just her driving abilities aren't up to par and you'd rather her not drive a car that you cherish. Nothing wrong with that. Remember us men digg our cars it's what we do. Women think, usually, different when it comes do cars by nature.

What did I do to resolve this? In the beginning I went off, which was wrong of me to talk like that. I've leaned to go out with her, physically show, what the problem was and how it made me feel. Calmly of course. How much it'll cost to have it repaired. At first she didn't get it either but now has learned to be very cautious with our cars.
Btw her head was up her a$$ one day and she forgot to set the hand break while parked! Guess what happened..........
It rolled back in the school parking lot and jacked up my civic and someone else's car. Carelessness. "Please pay attention to what you're doing" this is why I never set hand breaks you always put it in gear when parked without the hand break. My bad for the story but things now popped up in my head. Lol.
She finally got staggerds on her car and NOW drives, all our cars, cautiously. 11 years later. Lol.
So patience, time, and explanations is all you can do. It finally worked for the both of us.

Last edited by srt1; 09-20-15 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 09-20-15, 05:41 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by steveo55
She ripped off my front lip and totally scratched it. Its hanging down looks like crap. I decided to drive my tundra felt bad it just sits there collecting dust all the time. Big mistake wife has her RX she decided to drive my IS today doesnt even tell me my 5 year old calls me to tell me mom drove my car and broke it. Not having a very good day today.
Hi there

I once borrowed my wifes car, subaru outback without telling her, i damaged the bumper by skidding on ice and going over the side walk. She didnt say anything much. If i were you i would say nothing get it repaired and move on. Bumpers can be fixed, no big deal

Thanks
Old 09-20-15, 06:22 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
Calm down bro....
+1

Quick Reply: Wife borrowed car without asking and...