IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My HD traffic and weather nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 01:19 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My HD traffic and weather nightmare

So since july after a battery reset ive gotten the downloading please wait showing for my weather and no traffic available for my traffic. Visited my dealer 45 minutes away and as soon as i got off the highway it started working. They checked and said all was fine. I got home and it stopped again. Sigh.

Finally went to the dealer today to get the latest firmware update and it happened again, as soon as i got off the highway it started working. They updated it though so i figured i was good. Wrong im home now and its not working again. I know two other people who live near me with 3is' and theirs is Working just fine. This is really annoying and weird. Anyone have advice? Can i do a radio reset on my own possibly?
Old 09-18-15, 01:40 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Perhaps there is an enviromental thing that is affecting it.

Do you live near a transmission tower? Are you surrounded by large tall buildings?

The fact that as soon as you get off the highway near the dealership it starts to work tells me anyway that something close to you is interfering with the data transmission. How close do these other people with the same car live to you? Have you tried hanging out in front of their place to test yours?
Old 09-18-15, 02:06 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Perhaps there is an enviromental thing that is affecting it.
What s/he said... HD traffic and weather is sent via HD radio stations and if you are in a 'dead spot' or a location with interference then you won't receive the updates. Check the coverage map for your location:

http://www.navteq.com/hdtraffic/
Old 09-18-15, 02:07 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^ what brendanf said is possible.
It was a bit of a pain to get mine working again as well, but dealer was able to reproduce the error, so that probably helped.

1 option is this thing the dealer called a "hard reset" which involves disconnecting the battery for 30+ mins.

Another option is to reset all of the user settings back to factory via the menu setting (some have said this worked, it might have worked once for me, but it went back to the same issue few days later, and other times it didn't do anything, but make me frustrated with having to put all of my settings back).

Aside from that, I recall this one other dealer perform a "recalibration" (whatever that means) to get it working again.
Old 09-18-15, 02:25 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I've never had a problem with my traffic but I have had a couple of occasions where my weather map says "downloading please wait". This just happened this week as a matter of fact. I went into settings and deleted personal info and it works again. Like what LexSense says, it does delete tons of stuff, though.
Old 09-20-15, 03:47 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

i live in a residential area, so no big buildings and stuff. I've tried the hard reset and deleting personal settings and nothing =/. I thought the firmware was supposed to address my issue. I am getting HD radio though, so I'm really not sure what to make of it. Its frustrating because i actually made use of the traffic updates for my morning commutes. i really don't know what else to do
Old 09-20-15, 04:37 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD signal is spotty at best, mine works great when I am driving on highways, it does not update most of the time when i am off highway or in residential area.
Old 09-22-15, 12:57 PM
engmoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have HD reception where I live but I am able to get the same information by using the enform app suite. You have to allow the car to use cellular data and HD, I believe it's in the Bluetooth setting menu. When the car connects to the phone via Bluetooth open the enform app on the phone you should be able to get the traffic data even though the HD reception is crappy as long as your cellular phone has a strong data connection.
Old 09-24-15, 07:33 PM
atomiclex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having the same issue until I figured out about the HD radio is the one that sends the signal for weather and radio. when there is no HD signal available it will keep loading. the fix to that is that you can use your own data from your phone through the lexus enform which must be on and connected.