IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ark grip exhaust kinda loud in cabin...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 11:36 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ark grip exhaust kinda loud in cabin...

Just got my ark grip exhaust and noticed it being a little too loud in the cabin. I thought they were suppose to be pretty quiet inside... Anyone else think this?
Old 08-11-15, 06:43 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

there are a billion threads in here about exhausts that talk about looks and sound (inside and outside of cabin).
Old 08-11-15, 08:35 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Ark grip exhaust kinda loud in cabin...

Originally Posted by cp2
there are a billion threads in here about exhausts that talk about looks and sound (inside and outside of cabin).
Agree with this.

Ark is one of the louder exhausts out there for the 3IS
Old 08-11-15, 05:15 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought ark has the least drone out of them all? Are you telling me other exhausts are louder?
Old 08-11-15, 05:55 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Agree with this.

Ark is one of the louder exhausts out there for the 3IS
Yeah I knew it was going to be loud but I didn't expect it to have much cabin noise tho
Old 08-11-15, 07:02 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Same experience here. Been a couple months but i had to learn how to live with it due to my lazyness of switching back to stock.
The biggest downside from this exhaust is the humming noise everytime it hits 2k rpm inside the cabin.
Outside im sure it sounds great which is why i like to play with it sometimes.
Pretty darn useful when you wanna do a growl at some sap that is trying to merge into your lane and dont check their blind spots. Or you wanna look cool driving by.

Im also starting to get use to driving more effeciently in a sense you can say. Meaning i can get around town not going higher than 2k rpm if i want quiet and granny driving. I would think this saves gas but there are so many times i rip that hole open it i cant tell anymore.

In a sense
Old 08-11-15, 10:27 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Same experience here. Been a couple months but i had to learn how to live with it due to my lazyness of switching back to stock.
The biggest downside from this exhaust is the humming noise everytime it hits 2k rpm inside the cabin.
Outside im sure it sounds great which is why i like to play with it sometimes.
Pretty darn useful when you wanna do a growl at some sap that is trying to merge into your lane and dont check their blind spots. Or you wanna look cool driving by.

Im also starting to get use to driving more effeciently in a sense you can say. Meaning i can get around town not going higher than 2k rpm if i want quiet and granny driving. I would think this saves gas but there are so many times i rip that hole open it i cant tell anymore.

In a sense
Im glad you're able to deal with it because i personally can't stand the humming around 2k rpm! Sad i have to swap back to stock and sell it
Old 08-25-15, 06:55 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same with mine, it's a pretty constant humming unless my foot is totally off of the accelerator. I'm on the highway roughly 70 miles per day to and from work so it's a decent amount of time spent listening to the drone. However, I just turn up my radio a bit and it really doesn't bother me. I love the sound of this exhaust from the outside more than any of the others and I will deal with the hum inside the cabin.
Old 08-25-15, 11:17 AM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed that also when I first installed it last year. It seems like the drone will die down once you break it in more
Old 10-22-17, 02:59 PM
Prince101
Driver School Candidate

How long would you say or how many miles was your break in period and did you notice significantly less drone cuz I just installed my ark on my 2017 is 350 and at around 1.5-2000rpm drone is terrible
Old 10-22-17, 03:01 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...uiet-down.html
Old 10-22-17, 04:59 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my Ark exhaust on for over a year now and it's my daily driven car. I think the drone was a little louder when I first got it also but after a while I got use to it or I just don't notice it. Also do you guys not listen to music when you drive? With the music on, I don't even hear my exhaust. lol

But go Ark exhaust! I still don't regret my purchase and really makes the IS sound like a beast.
Old 10-22-17, 05:44 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonIS
I've had my Ark exhaust on for over a year now and it's my daily driven car. I think the drone was a little louder when I first got it also but after a while I got use to it or I just don't notice it. Also do you guys not listen to music when you drive? With the music on, I don't even hear my exhaust. lol

But go Ark exhaust! I still don't regret my purchase and really makes the IS sound like a beast.

every axle back exhaust sounds similar to me, this 300$ Exhaust was ON SALE sound much different compare to ARK to you ? regular price was 600-700$ , sound may vary according to yours size of the Engine too not because the exhaust, unless you replace the whole exhaust + header or go STRAIGHT with delete everything. I think only me have this in Ontario Canada.
Old 10-22-17, 05:51 PM
Prince101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BostonIS

its my daily driver too and that’s the problem cuz the car drops between 1-2 rpm that’s were it likes to drive and that’s when the drone happens so I keep the rpm right at like 2.5 don’t know if it’s bad for the car love the exhaust and the sound it’s beastly but just don’t know about the drone and no don’t listen to music lol
Old 10-22-17, 08:52 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ark will drone no matter how long you've had it (its the second loudest production full catback for the 3IS, first being the meisterschaft). Had mine for almost 30k now. I even have some Dynomat lined in the trunk, but that doesn't help that much.

The only real way to minimize, and maybe eliminate, the drone is to have the helmholtz resonator in the exact measurements so that the frequencies cancel each other out. Ark comes with these already but they are not 100% exact.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...pslxznyszs.jpg
As you can see, you cant really just modify the helmholtz resonators without fully modifying the entire axleback portion of the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (10-23-17)

Quick Reply: Ark grip exhaust kinda loud in cabin...