IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question About Storing Our Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 09:48 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question About Storing Our Cars

Did a quick search and didn't find anything in this category, not sure if all Lexus' are the same.

I'm leaving to Australia for 6-12 months or so, and was wondering how should I prep my car for storage. I'll be changing the oil before putting her away, but should I turn the battery off completely, or should I buy a trickle charge battery to plug in during storage?

I'll be having it stored in an indoor facility with a number of other vehicles, so I won't have to worry about the rain/snow/ice.

I'll also have the car detailed before putting it in to storage, I'll buy a car cover as well, can anyone recommend a good one that's decently priced? I was thinking of just getting a generic one.

Thanks for the input
Old 08-02-15, 01:05 AM
Silver250F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done something like this as well but only left the country for about 7 weeks. I basically just stored it in the garage and had my dad come and start the car every 2 weeks or so. I'd definetly store it with it having very little fuel in the tank. Although 6 to 12 months is a pretty long time to not start the car even once. I think you would be fine, atleast your not parking it outside that would suck lol.
Old 08-02-15, 01:20 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver250F
I've done something like this as well but only left the country for about 7 weeks. I basically just stored it in the garage and had my dad come and start the car every 2 weeks or so. I'd definetly store it with it having very little fuel in the tank. Although 6 to 12 months is a pretty long time to not start the car even once. I think you would be fine, atleast your not parking it outside that would suck lol.
Yeah I was thinking of dropping it off close to empty and putting some Winter Fuel Stabilizer in the fuel tank so the ethanol doesn't sit in there, heard it's bad for the engine if it sits there for extended periods of time.

Found this link that basically advises you on how to prep your car before storage, but was wondering if anyone here has anything they could add for our cars.

http://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/top-ten...r-car-storage/
Old 08-02-15, 06:00 AM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a different experience, not wit my Lexus but with my BMW. When I left the car in storage for six months or so, I filled the gas tank to the rim; the reason being was to avoid any condensation and I've disconnected the ground wire from the battery.
When I got back, a simple boost to the battery and I was on my way.
Also, I lifted the car to install four bocks under so the tyres wont get any flat spots.
Old 08-02-15, 01:17 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalva
I have a different experience, not wit my Lexus but with my BMW. When I left the car in storage for six months or so, I filled the gas tank to the rim; the reason being was to avoid any condensation and I've disconnected the ground wire from the battery.
Also, I lifted the car to install four bocks under so the tyres wont get any flat spots.
I concur.

I have stored many cars for extended periods. Full tank of premium fuel with Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer added just prior to the fill up, particularly in cold/wet climates where condensation is problematic.

I personally do not disconnect the battery as they can still discharge over time, grow sulfates between the plates and degrade the performance of the battery or kill it altogether. Alternatively, I use Battery Tenders. They are a bargain for the money, and the car will light right up when you get back.

For my fun cars that are not driven often, I have Battery Tenders hard wired to the battery terminals, and just plug it in to the supplied harness when I park them after a weekend. Batteries seem to last forever this way.
Old 08-02-15, 02:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

can jack the car up on stands so the tires dont develop flat spots
Old 08-02-15, 02:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalva
Yes,definitely fill the gas tank and use gas stabilizer.
I had a '69 Corvette show car for years and would store it for 6-7 months in a heated garage.
I always changed the oil and filter.
I added the tire's max air pressure or a couple of pounds under of air pressure and never had a flat spot issue that didn't be fine after a couple mile run.
I used a Battery Tender on the battery.
Never start a vehicle and run it for say 15 minutes.Oil doesn't get hot enough and you'll have condensation in the oil.
Start it and take the car for a run or leave it alone.