IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 06:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Lexus IS vs Acura TLX

Acura is comparing the TLX on their official website to the Lexus IS 250 and there are a number of errors in the comparison. Take a look at what's listed as standard, optional, and not available on both models -- a lot of what's listed as not available or not standard is indeed available and/or standard on the IS 250. Like, keyless ignition not standard on the IS? Pandora compatibility not standard? Don't all models come with the Enform app suite or just navigation-equipped models? Road departure mitigation system not available? Lane departure alert is totally available. Forward collision warning not available? The pre-collision system with dynamic cruise control is available on the IS 250. LED headlights are also not available according to Acura on the IS and they are, indeed, available. Also available is the text and email smartphone integration -- I mean, it doesn't work well, but it's available. It's also slightly misleading to list an alternate transmission if one opts for the V6 TLX when Lexus also has an alternate 8-speed transmission available if one opts for the IS 350.

Misrepresentation majorly.

http://www.acura.com/sem.aspx?model=...titor=lexus-is

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/packages
Old 07-18-15, 06:43 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Not that the TLX is a bad car -- it's not. It's bland, but capable and one of the better offerings in recent years by Acura.

Represent accurately if placing two vehicles head-to-head, though.
Old 07-18-15, 06:44 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Acura should mention that they offer accord feel for standard.. And it's not available in Lexus. Lol
Old 07-18-15, 06:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Acura should mention that they offer accord feel for standard.. And it's not available in Lexus. Lol
lol, exactly.

that, and acura really should be comparing itself to marques within its class, e.g., buick, lincoln, and perhaps infiniti.
Old 07-18-15, 07:38 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

I drove the Acura just to see how it was... The four wheel steering and all the safety tech was nice. White with espresso interior was awesome as well. But all along I felt like I was in an accord and nothing special... Just a loaded bland midsize car with a bunch of tech. If it were a RWD car then it might've stood a better chance. But the FWD portion of it kills it!!
Old 07-18-15, 08:21 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

sadly, acura lost it's way in the 90s. shame -- the last (second-) generation legend was such a great car. i'd pick up a perfectly maintained, facelifted 94-95 legend if i had the chance despite it being fwd.
Old 07-18-15, 08:22 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A standard non turbo four banger doesn't help either.
Old 07-18-15, 09:41 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Honda's adamant about not doing a RWD anything.. Minus the time when the engineers drugged the board to get the S2000 approved. It's sad.. And another thing is.. No V8s ever.. For all those reasons.. I'll probably never own a Acura.

As for the 90s Acuras.. Oh man.. Love the type2 legend coupe in 6spd. One awesome car.. Longitudinally mounted power plant but FWD.. Crazy setup.
Old 07-18-15, 09:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Honda's adamant about not doing a RWD anything.. Minus the time when the engineers drugged the board to get the S2000 approved. It's sad.. And another thing is.. No V8s ever.. For all those reasons.. I'll probably never own a Acura.

As for the 90s Acuras.. Oh man.. Love the type2 legend coupe in 6spd. One awesome car.. Longitudinally mounted power plant but FWD.. Crazy setup.
agreed on both the s2000 and the second-generation legend!
Old 07-18-15, 09:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Noeh
A standard non turbo four banger doesn't help either.
with less torque than the is 250 at that.
Old 07-18-15, 09:59 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TLX is way too big and the V-6 is under powered. I considered it when I was initially purchasing my car but ultimate went with the IS350.
Old 07-18-15, 10:00 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
with less torque than the is 250 at that.
Sometimes I wonder who does the market research for these companies... Turbo trend has been in the upswing for a few years now and Lexus at least has finally caught up with it. Honda came out with the RDX and then went backwards.. Lol
Old 07-18-15, 10:04 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by theoryguy
The TLX is way too big and the V-6 is under powered. I considered it when I was initially purchasing my car but ultimate went with the IS350.
That's exactly what I did.. to me when I drove the Q50 and the TLX.. I felt like I was driving a big car that had some sporty characteristics for the name sake... The only competition to the bimmer (3series) are the IS, ATS and the A4.
Old 07-18-15, 10:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

That's exactly what I did.. to me when I drove the Q50 and the TLX.. I felt like I was driving a big car that had some sporty characteristics for the name sake... The only competition to the bimmer (3series) are the IS, ATS and the A4.
and the new c-class (w205).
Old 07-18-15, 10:50 AM
travanx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As now a proud owner of an IS350 Fsport, we didn't even glance at Acura. Had a supercharged RSX, then to a Porsche 993 (stolen), and now an S2000. Hondas/Acuras lineup makes no sense with their re-entry into F1.

I am pretty sure where we got the Lexus (newly constructed and beautiful) was the old Acura dealer. And now Acura is on the not as nice lot down the street. Very similar to each other's car lineups.

Would never touch a Nissan after my experience with one of their special cars, a big POS. The IS350 reminds me a lot of the S2000. Just a fun quick car to drive.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS vs Acura TLX